Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another 4L60e going bad thread

Old 05-11-2018, 10:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another 4L60e going bad thread

Long story short my car was a complete bolt on 99 Camaro that was tuned. I had all bolt ons complete and 4.10 gears with 28” on the car while it got tuned.

So after that tune I put a 3800 FTI stall in brand new and drove it around with no issues at all . It ran great and made a 11 second pass. I always felt like the trans wasn’t giving the quickest shifts but it was shifting fine. Yes I probably should have got it returned but after a little bit of driving I ended up doing a head and cam swap.

The car went right to the tuner and he had issues after a few pulls . The Trans wouldn’t shift out of first under wot and also go into fourth gear. He messed with a handful of things to get the trans to shift but no luck so he did his best and gave me the car back .

I parked it last year not having much time to fix it but now I’m trying to figure out where to start. My first idea was trying to find a used 4L60e and just swap it in thinking maybe the trans burned up while being on the dyno.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,212 Likes on 778 Posts

So you only had 1st and 4th gear?

If this is the case, you more than likely just have a bad shift solenoid.

If I misread, my apologies
Old 05-11-2018, 11:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
So you only had 1st and 4th gear?

If this is the case, you more than likely just have a bad shift solenoid.

If I misread, my apologies

I only have first and third. I also tried manually shifting the trans and it wouldn’t go into the gears.

The trans has 50 k on it and was rebuilt 10k ago by a GM dealer with stock parts. I just started nodding this car about 2k miles ago.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:31 PM
TECH Junkie

if 1st and 3rd only, then the band is probably cooked. You should do a pressure test with a gauge on the line pressure port first and foremost. But chances are the band is toast. You could elongate the pin or buy a longer sonnax pin, but that's merely a bandaid for an issue that's already present.

Do a pressure test first and report back before shotgunning parts at the thing.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 193 Likes on 134 Posts

Or, even faster, hook a scanner up and watch the data screen for gear commanded. Go out, drive the car, and watch the screen to see if the PCM is commanding a 1-2 upshift. If so, you KNOW the band, the reverse input drum, or the 2/4 servo is DONE. Most likely the band is cooked. Lengthening the servo pin will not fix this. If the PCM is commanding the 1-2 shift, and also the 3-4 shift, but the trans is not seeing 2nd, or 4th.. Break out the tools and get ready to drop the trans..

It's possible... but not likely... that the shift B solenoid is faulty, or the shift B valve is stuck in the valve body. Again, possible.. But I'd bet $$ on the band being damaged. If the band is smoked, DO NOT just put a new band on the old reverse input drum... I can guarantee you that if the band is smoked, the mating surface on the R/I drum is also now damaged as well. New band on an old/damaged drum will mean short life and rebuild again soon. Replace band & drum as a pair. In fact, replace drum and then a WIDE band as a pair.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Isn't having only first and third also a sign of a stripped out/broken sun shell? I believe I had this happen in my stock 99 1500 with a 5.3.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:22 AM
TECH Junkie

If he had also lost reverse, then yes. I see no mention of lost reverse, so that's why I didn't mention the sunshell.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

slightly OT, but hfthe3rd, out of curiosity, do you have a trans cooler installed?

Search this Thread