Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80 Tune / Nitrous Converter

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 09:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fixed link to videos. As far as the tune I wasn't sure what or if anything would have an effect on the converter. Maybe I need a different converter but didn't want to spend more money and have the same problems.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,263 Likes on 809 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Typically guys buy a triple disc so that they can eliminate the need for compromise.

To get a converter that is efficient on the big end, you typically sacrifice some stall speed and torque multiplication on the low end. And vice versa if you want the low end, you sacrifice the efficiency up top.

With a triple disc, you can get the low end, then get maximum efficiency up top by locking it up. I've personally not run a triple disc on my car (I've built for guys that run them) so I can't say any of this for sure...but maybe it's something to consider. If it were me, I would call and speak with someone on the phone from circle D and just go over everything again.

Also, use the input speed sensor on the 4l80e and compare that to the engine rpm to get converter slip.
Then compart the input speed vs output speed and see if there is any trans slip components.
Just to be sure.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
Typically guys buy a triple disc so that they can eliminate the need for compromise.

To get a converter that is efficient on the big end, you typically sacrifice some stall speed and torque multiplication on the low end. And vice versa if you want the low end, you sacrifice the efficiency up top.

With a triple disc, you can get the low end, then get maximum efficiency up top by locking it up. I've personally not run a triple disc on my car (I've built for guys that run them) so I can't say any of this for sure...but maybe it's something to consider. If it were me, I would call and speak with someone on the phone from circle D and just go over everything again.

Also, use the input speed sensor on the 4l80e and compare that to the engine rpm to get converter slip.
Then compart the input speed vs output speed and see if there is any trans slip components.
Just to be sure.
This is where I was headed with this thing. I started experimenting locking the converter. I dont think the 4.10 gears are gonna get it with a 350 or 400 shot so Im gonna put the 3.73s back in and spary it more and go from there. I think 4.10 will also be too hard to get traction at some point too. I will log more stuff as I go along. In Hp Tuners, what variables is the TCC slip Rpm using to give that reading? I know some of these real high end converter companies claim they can stall 5500 and then be in the single digits foe effienciency.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,263 Likes on 809 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

on a 4l80e tcc slip is calculated the same way I told you to calculate converter slip.

Engine RPM vs Input speed sensor RPM
TCC slip is just calculated only when the tcc is locked

Quick Reply: 4L80 Tune / Nitrous Converter