Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmissionbench 4l60e videos

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Transmissionbench 4l60e videos

Not trying to down talk these tutorials at all, they have been extensively helpful to me for my 4l60e rebuild project.

However through my research, I feel there have been a few things that he missed out / didn't mention, specifically:

- No mention of air testing the forward input drum for leaks between the shaft and where its 'pressed' into the housing.
- No mention of air testing the pump TCC apply valve for leak.

My transmission shows symptoms of both of the above. I am using his tutorials extensively for my first 4l60e rebuild, along with ATSG manual.

I am wondering if anyone has any input on other checks or steps that he may have missed that you would recommend checking on a thourough rebuild. I'm talking bone stock here, not interested in performance modifications.

I've also gone through the sonnax documentation and 'sure cure' checks, and it seems there are some other checks on there that he may have missed also.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,218 Likes on 782 Posts

I've never watched these videos more than just a couple minutes...that's all I could personally bear.

-I have a thread on making your own vacuum test setup. Sonnax has the test charts on their website. That is a MUST for any quality rebuild imo.
-Check the 3rd accumulator check ball for a leak.
-Check the endplay on the planets and make sure they are "tight"
-Test the input drum for a crack. Often hard to see, the easy way to tell is to empty it out, hold it by the input shaft, and hit the rim with the plastic end of a screwdriver. If it rings like a bell...it's OK
-Check the stator tube for signs of wear. It will show where the teflon rings ride and seal.
-Stack the transmission up in reverse on the bench (not in the case) and air check everything through the pump.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
I've never watched these videos more than just a couple minutes...that's all I could personally bear.

-I have a thread on making your own vacuum test setup. Sonnax has the test charts on their website. That is a MUST for any quality rebuild imo.
-Check the 3rd accumulator check ball for a leak.
-Check the endplay on the planets and make sure they are "tight"
-Test the input drum for a crack. Often hard to see, the easy way to tell is to empty it out, hold it by the input shaft, and hit the rim with the plastic end of a screwdriver. If it rings like a bell...it's OK
-Check the stator tube for signs of wear. It will show where the teflon rings ride and seal.
-Stack the transmission up in reverse on the bench (not in the case) and air check everything through the pump.
Thank you sir.

Just been reading you DIY vacuum thread, I am definitely going to do this. Appreciate your comments.