Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 4l60e build for my turbo car

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 05:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 550 Likes on 426 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

The billet shafts would be cheaper than switching over to an 80e. I think just the torque converter alone would cost as much the shafts.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by bbond105
The billet shafts would be cheaper than switching over to an 80e. I think just the torque converter alone would cost as much the shafts.
But its still a 60e, that you will be going back through sooner than later. Or you could just do the 80e and actually enjoy the car, and not cringe everytime you stand in it.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,263 Likes on 809 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Game ova
I agree with most of this, except for the direct and forward drum part, us guys with 400s use the 80e drum as an upgrade. Plus op said he builds his own transmissions, so I doubt he'd just dig an 80e out of the sand and just install it.
I build lots of these each year. I'm well aware the 80e drum is the upgrade used in the 400.

What I'm saying is that due to boost valve wear issues in the 80e (very common) extreme pressure can blow the bottom of the drum out (or at the very least crack it and create a huge pressure leak)
I have pictures if you want, but the failure is not from power, its from overpressure caused by bad boost valves.

When you see reverse pressure peg your 600 psi gauge...and stay there...you know pretty fast that its not good for the internals.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
I build lots of these each year. I'm well aware the 80e drum is the upgrade used in the 400.

What I'm saying is that due to boost valve wear issues in the 80e (very common) extreme pressure can blow the bottom of the drum out (or at the very least crack it and create a huge pressure leak)
I have pictures if you want, but the failure is not from power, its from overpressure caused by bad boost valves.

When you see reverse pressure peg your 600 psi gauge...and stay there...you know pretty fast that its not good for the internals.
I don't doubt you. I mistook what you said, as the drum being weak/trash, didn't know you were talking about it coming apart because of hydraulic press like pressure being applied. Might be a silly question, but can a 400 pump be used in a full manual application?
Old 02-27-2019, 08:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 649 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova
But its still a 60e, that you will be going back through sooner than later. Or you could just do the 80e and actually enjoy the car, and not cringe everytime you stand in it.
Man I agree. BUT. Judging by the way things looked inside the trans when the output broke, it would have lasted quite a while longer had the output shaft not broken. i'm pretty much at the limit of the amount i'm going to turn it up. My plan was 12psi and below. All i wanted was a 10 second street driver. I've had several of these units hold up to 10 second cars for years. So i dont see why I cant do the same with my own car. This was basically a experiment and a lesson learned. I learned dont cheap out on the shafts. At least it was me it happened to and not a customer. That would be embarrassing. If i get a chance, I'm going to pull it this weekend and make a decision.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:19 AM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 10 Year

I say at least pull it and see what actually let go before making big decisions like trans swaps
Old 02-27-2019, 08:33 AM
TECH Veteran

I say at least pull it and see what actually let go before making big decisions like trans swaps

good point.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

I agree, You don't even know for sure what broke yet or the extent of the damage that was done. If seems weird that it would kill the engine. There should have been enough slippage in the torque converter to keep the engine running. Maybe the shock from when the output shaft broke hurt the converter and when you put some power to it you finished it off.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:19 AM
TECH Veteran

I agree, You don't even know for sure what broke yet or the extent of the damage that was done. If seems weird that it would kill the engine. There should have been enough slippage in the torque converter to keep the engine running. Maybe the shock from when the output shaft broke hurt the converter and when you put some power to it you finished it off.
yea i dont know what happened yet, It does seem odd that the motor is in a bind. i'm pretty sure the converter is trashed.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Been bothering me all weekend to know if it’s definitely the trans or the motor. It being locked it what had me stumped. So I had an epiphany. Dummy, crank it and put in gear real quick. Duh. So I did. Cringing from the noise I rushed to put it in reverse. Nothing. It’s definitely the trans. Whew. I’m ok with that. I think the rotor exploded or the input broke.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Ok. Pulled it out this evening. I was right. That piece of **** patc induction hardened shaft shattered. What garbage. I even called and asked their opinion on it and was told they hadn’t had one break. Maybe no one ever used one but me? Anyways, here’s some pics for your viewing pleasure.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:06 AM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 10 Year

YIKES! That's aggressive lol
Old 03-08-2019, 10:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Well I just talked to the owner of patc. I wasn’t expecting much help, but I figured I’d explain the situation and at least ask. It was a waste of my time to be honest. Basically he wanted to refund me $59 for the input shaft and put that towards a sonnax shaft which he sells over priced at $299 which I can get for $220 so I’d be out $20 more that way. I don’t want to use his output shaft either anymore so I thought he’d credit me back on that. Nope. I paid $169 for that shaft. It’s probably a good shaft for a lesser power setup but at this point I don’t want to chance it. Maybe I can sell it, it’s a new factory corvette 4l65 shaft. Which is supposed to be a tick better than the 4l60 shaft. O well. I’m not sure what I want to do at this point. So let me throw this out there to you guys.

Should i I get the sonnax output too?
Should I get a billet pump rotor? I turn it to 7000 on the regular
Old 03-08-2019, 10:56 AM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 10 Year

Stock 10 vane pump rotor. I've had multiple over 7300. No issues
Keep the 13 vane slide
Old 03-08-2019, 03:19 PM
TECH Veteran

I posting this in my turbo build thread because everyone was on me about swapping to a 80e. I want to, but I can’t right now. But here’s my explanation I wrote:

Look my dudes. You are right. I should give up on the 60. No doubt. It’s a weak *** piece of ****. However. I like to drive my car. And I’m going insane not driving it. I know you guys are gonna think I’m dumb. And I’m being hard headed. But I have good reasons why. This is how I’m looking at it. I can spend $300 on an input shaft and have my car running. Or I can spend thousands to upgrade. Which would take me a few more months. Car sitting. Wife bitching because it’s in jack stands (I’m not putting it on the ground, it takes 30 minutes to get it up high like I have it...long story) then after I stop breaking transmissions, I’ll start breaks rear end parts. And it’s 3 grand to upgrade everything in the back. I don’t have that kind of cash right now. Things will be getting better for me next year. Without going into details of my financial situation, I’ve had several expenses increase that were unexpected and put a burden on me. Next year some changes are being made. So I’ve got to wing it for now. If I was better off financially, it would be getting an 80e and rear axle upgrades and a built motor. Poor guy on a budget trying to go fast(ish) kind of thing. So bear with me fellas, eventually I’ll get there. Luckily labor is free for me. And a lot of parts I have. So it’s not that bad at this point. I know what I should do, but I’m doing what I CAN do....for now.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

Have you seen this overrun sprag hub from Sonnax? May be one of those while I'm in there parts. This has been the weakest part on my trans so far. I think it has broken 3 times now. I haven't installed it yet, because the last time it broke Sonnax hadn't come out with it yet. Like all Sonnax parts it is a nice looking piece. Once you replace the shafts I feel like the trans will do you proud.

SOX-74574HD - Automatic Transmission Clutch Hubs

HEAVY DUTY SPRAG HUB

Part Number: SOX-74574HD
Old 03-08-2019, 04:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Have you seen this overrun sprag hub from Sonnax? May be one of those while I'm in there parts. This has been the weakest part on my trans so far. I think it has broken 3 times now. I haven't installed it yet, because the last time it broke Sonnax hadn't come out with it yet. Like all Sonnax parts it is a nice looking piece. Once you replace the shafts I feel like the trans will do you proud.

SOX-74574HD - Automatic Transmission Clutch Hubs

HEAVY DUTY SPRAG HUB

Part Number: SOX-74574HD

yea I saw that. I haven’t had an issue with mine but I think it’s because I’m using the hd 2-3 shift valve that locks the over runs. I talked to a few people and got their input on it and they said it’s not worth doing in my case.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

I also have the HD 2-3 shift valve in mine. My issue could be that the sprag was slipping placing all of the load on the hub, but there is so much metal in there when it breaks that it’s hard to tell which went out 1st.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:38 PM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 10 Year

How much power are you making again KFX?
I know stock shafts have been 600+
Old 03-09-2019, 06:18 AM
TECH Veteran

How much power are you making again KFX?
I know stock shafts have been 600+

well honestly all I can do is guess. Car went 11.20 @125 leaving very soft and my crossover pipe v band clamp was broken so the pipe was leaking bad and I was dropping boost. That’s fixed now. If I had to put a number on it, I’d say 550-600 rear and with the exhaust fixed it should trap about 128-130.

Quick Reply: My 4l60e build for my turbo car