Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E to 4L80E....what tuning is required?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 01:38 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
Default 4L60E to 4L80E....what tuning is required?

Besides the 4L60E-to-4L80E Segment swap in my 1998 PCM........does it require dyno tuning? Or what else....?
Old 05-23-2019, 08:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,218 Likes on 782 Posts

have you tried a search?
There are MULTIPLE threads that cover segment swapping.
HP tuners forums has writeups and guides
Old 05-23-2019, 08:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
have you tried a search?
There are MULTIPLE threads that cover segment swapping.
HP tuners forums has writeups and guides
I know I need a segment swap.....that’s easy. Tuner does that in minutes.

I’m wondering if there’s any other tuning that needs to be done.....like dyno tuning?

Or is the segment swap it......then you drive it.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:39 AM
TECH Junkie

can't tell if serious or not
dyno tune for just a trans change...what good will that do you? you gonna simulate street driving it on the dyno?

Just set your shift points and tcc lockup parameters and drive it
Old 05-23-2019, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I think that’s precisely what he’s getting at – I had no clue either what actual values had to be changed in the tune after the segment swap.

Old 05-23-2019, 04:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LQ4-E39
I think that’s precisely what he’s getting at – I had no clue either what actual values had to be changed in the tune after the segment swap.

That...and if you talk to 2-3 different shops they actually put into the quote to install the 4L80E....tuning charges of $500-$750.

I was like,....."what tuning are you talking about?"

So its literally just the segment swap, shift points and TCC.....???? So we're talking a few minutes from a competent tuner, right?

Whats a fair price for just the PCM part?

I have a guy thats done about a dozen of these Fbody 4L80E swaps...but he doesn't do anything with PCMs.......$650 total labor to install it, I think its a fair price. I can then send my PCM to Frost to do the rest or find a tuner.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:58 PM
Banned

can't tell if serious or not
dyno tune for just a trans change...what good will that do you? you gonna simulate street driving it on the dyno?

Just set your shift points and tcc lockup parameters and drive it
Serious about what....LOL
Old 05-23-2019, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A lot of people start with stock values and go from there.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

tuning shift points is definitely to taste. Stall, cam, lockup speed, etc. all effect how it'll drive and when it'll shift. It should be done to how the person likes it. Doubt someones going to do some clicks and send you on your way and its what you want.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ddnspider
tuning shift points is definitely to taste. Stall, cam, lockup speed, etc. all effect how it'll drive and when it'll shift. It should be done to how the person likes it. Doubt someones going to do some clicks and send you on your way and its what you want.
Ok, but its not a $750 dyno day....?

I have to have my new 4L80E put in now....my 4L60E is acting up after 8 years of abuse. So see.....step by step...I'm moving forward......LOL
Old 05-24-2019, 07:29 AM
TECH Junkie

$100 license your pcm
$100 license the segment swap file

Then $500 for them to deal with your swap. 9/10 swaps have **** wiring done...gremlins that the tuner gets blamed on that arent his fault.
Troubleshooting happens EVERY time it seems like
If they're street driving with you, it's going to be 2 hours ish of street driving because you'll want 5 or 6 different iterations
if not then they will have to have you leave and come back a few times to get it just how you want.
I personally think 750 is awfully steep, but I don't argue with tuning shops on their price. Much how I hope customers don't argue with me on the price of a built trans.

If you can get it done somewhere else cheaper...go for it...I stay busy enough (and so do most tuners) to not need to barter my price to earn your business.
The reason some places cost more...is because they do a better job

If you have hp tuners and it sounds easy enough for you...then do it yourself
Old 05-24-2019, 08:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by stilealive
Ok, but its not a $750 dyno day....?

I have to have my new 4L80E put in now....my 4L60E is acting up after 8 years of abuse. So see.....step by step...I'm moving forward......LOL
No it usually takes a couple hours, and done on the street to real world conditions.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:44 PM
Banned

$100 license your pcm
$100 license the segment swap file

Then $500 for them to deal with your swap. 9/10 swaps have **** wiring done...gremlins that the tuner gets blamed on that arent his fault.
Troubleshooting happens EVERY time it seems like
If they're street driving with you, it's going to be 2 hours ish of street driving because you'll want 5 or 6 different iterations
if not then they will have to have you leave and come back a few times to get it just how you want.
I personally think 750 is awfully steep, but I don't argue with tuning shops on their price. Much how I hope customers don't argue with me on the price of a built trans.

If you can get it done somewhere else cheaper...go for it...I stay busy enough (and so do most tuners) to not need to barter my price to earn your business.
The reason some places cost more...is because they do a better job

If you have hp tuners and it sounds easy enough for you...then do it yourself
I have all the Frost plug-n-play wiring harneses to work with my 1998 PCM. Madman dipstick. All new stainless cooler lines and connectors. New cooler. Banjo connectors for the tranny case for better fitment in the tunnel. BMR crossmember mounted Torque arm to go in. 4L80E tranny mount. Deep Moroso fluid pan.

I have no clue how to do any kind of tuning. Have no time or interest to learn. Thats why I'm asking..... I don't mind paying industry standard for things, but I don't want to get raped.

Since I'll be driving this car just as a normal driver until I do any kind of boost project...no racing around all the time.......can't I just do the segment swap and keep all shift points and everything else the same? The engine is the same.......

Last edited by stilealive; 05-24-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ddnspider
No it usually takes a couple hours, and done on the street to real world conditions.
Like I asked MarooneMonster......

Can't I just do the segment swap......and keep everything else in the PCM program identical.....SINCE I will just be driving this car normally as a daily driver till I do anything extreme.....
Old 05-24-2019, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

For a straight answer to your questions call Frost. Sure the shift points may not be perfect but they should be in the ball park. Whos to say that the tuner local to you will take the time to get it any better. I paid a well known tuner $650 for a tune that the engine died half the time and as far as shift points and tcc not even close. I guess what I am saying is if you're not tuneing it yourself it's a crap shoot so go with Frost there is no guarantee that the guy riding around in your car will get it any better.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bbond105
For a straight answer to your questions call Frost. Sure the shift points may not be perfect but they should be in the ball park. Whos to say that the tuner local to you will take the time to get it any better. I paid a well known tuner $650 for a tune that the engine died half the time and as far as shift points and tcc not even close. I guess what I am saying is if you're not tuneing it yourself it's a crap shoot so go with Frost there is no guarantee that the guy riding around in your car will get it any better.
I bought both wiring harnesses from Frost. Frost told me $25.00 to do the segment swap, one day turn around. But how is he gonna tune the rest and get it right the first time....shift points and TCC...?

Or are you saying just have him do the segment swap and leave everything else as is like it was with my 4L60E...?
Old 05-25-2019, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

I bought both wiring harnesses from Frost. Frost told me $25.00 to do the segment swap, one day turn around. But how is he gonna tune the rest and get it right the first time....shift points and TCC...?

Or are you saying just have him do the segment swap and leave everything else as is like it was with my 4L60E...?
I'm saying call them and tell them your concerns and if you fell comfortable with their answers then go with their suggestions.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

1. I thought the Frost harness eliminated the need for a segment swap

2. I thought you couldn't segment swap 97 and 98 pcms
Old 06-05-2019, 09:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hardtop Brian
1. I thought the Frost harness eliminated the need for a segment swap

2. I thought you couldn't segment swap 97 and 98 pcms
The harness is just wires......the PCM is the brain (as you know).....so yes the segment swap must be done inside the PCM. And yes, Frost and everyone else I spoke with said yes, the 1998 PCM can do the segment swap because some 1998 vans or trucks had the 4L80E........so they made all the 98 PCMs able to do it.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The harness is just wires......the PCM is the brain (as you know).....so yes the segment swap must be done inside the PCM. And yes, Frost and everyone else I spoke with said yes, the 1998 PCM can do the segment swap because some 1998 vans or trucks had the 4L80E........so they made all the 98 PCMs able to do it.
I meant this plug n play harness Frost sells with the built in relay so you don't have to segment swap.

https://www.efi-performance.com/mobi....aspx?id=37539

LS engines didn't come in trucks until 99 year. I'm not sure about vans though.

I just read that 97-98 pcms are not segmented. Post is from 2014 though.

Last edited by Hardtop Brian; 06-05-2019 at 10:10 AM.