Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l80e transmission cooling

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l80e transmission cooling

I have a 02 Camaro, it has a 72/75 turbo and that I swapped a 94 4l80e into, with a 3200 stall, the trans its self is great, I have a derale 13700 cooler with a fan mounted in the back under the t top storage area. The trans temps are high cruising around 215 and under a load going up a pass in Colorado I saw 250 for a short period.

Right now I'm stuck I know my cooling isn't enough, would buying a nice b and m cooler and mounting it in the front cool better or putting it in tandem with the cooler in the back?
Old 09-04-2019, 01:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick update I just ordered a B & M super cooler medium, the only place I can mount this would be in-between my radiator and my intercooler. Actually mount it to the back of my intercooler bracket.

Does anything think this would get good air here or would it be too hot here?
Old 09-04-2019, 01:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,263 Likes on 809 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

do a search and mount it "dope" style
I have multiple customer camaros with the trans cooler mounded under the fog light with a small fan...triggered off the pcm...works great.
Temps rarely see over 180 even really abusing the car

You can remove the front fog light if you want a little extra air to reach the cooler
Old 09-04-2019, 05:09 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Here's how my single cooler was installed for 18 years with my 4L60E. With my new 4L80E installed now I will run two of these in series. One on each side. No heat from them hits the radiator because it mixes with the ambient temp ram air.....and the ram air goes right past them anyway and into the condenser. I also saw someone who put a bypass valve in his twin coolers so if he wanted it to heat up faster the fluid would only go through one cooler. I gotta figure out how he did that......I have no idea to find that guy again.

When the 4L80E was installed a few weeks ago......we did a bunch of runs with my tuner in the car. Just cruising normally we never saw above 169*F. After a hard run to 130mph a few times the hottest we saw was 189*F. So really the one large cooler thats in front of the radiator (11" x 11") does good. I just want it away from the surface of my condenser.....so I may first try one (smaller cooler) mounted like you see in my pics on one side......then put another smaller one on the other side if needed.

Oh....the little cooler behind my air damn.....thats my power steering fluid cooler. It gets direct ram air, never gets more than warm to the touch no matter how hard the car is driven.

Quick Reply: 4l80e transmission cooling