Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yank denies warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
Shift kits are designed to work with the stock programming. Improperly installed shift kits can screw up line pressure too as can bad programming.
I thought the Trans-Go kits require you to remove all torque management?

At least in the trucks, that's what I thought was needed...
Old 07-15-2004, 01:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marc
I was referring to the line pressure.

Removal of torque management may be necessary for smooth power delivery at WOT with a stall & transgo, but remember that removing TM allows more torque to pass through to the tranny on the upshift spike.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

Okay, I gotcha on the line pressure, Ragtop.

From what I heard, if TM isn't removed with the trans-go kit installed, the two will start to fight each other on the shifts. While the TG is trying to shift rapidly, the TM is trying to slow it down and reduce that driveline shock.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:10 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I see your frustration when a small business is closed for 2 weeks and you take matters into your hands. It is not a total surprise that cutting open the converter voided the warranty.

As a general proposition, I don't know how many shops will stand behind their converters and trannies when a shift kit has been added and the programming has been messed with too. Shift kits are designed to work with the stock programming. Improperly installed shift kits can screw up line pressure too as can bad programming. Tranny & converter manufactures assume their products will be properly installed and operated. The analogy is no different than asking a piston manufacturer stand behind their product after some guy with a 150 shot went lean and hit a 20:1 AFR. Now some shops will suck it up and fix it anyways, but I can understand when they say they won't.
i hear you on the cuting it open part, i guess i should have just accepted the aditional 2 week down time(right in the middle of the season). in the past when i killed a tranny the converter was fine, i had it serviced just to be sure but there were no problems and the local guys were able to get it back to me in 2 days.

As far as the shift kit and programing, Mikes saw the problem as not enuff line presure. he comented on the tranny needing to be built correctly and the programing done right. to me that indicates that if i had done neither of the things it would have gone bad even sooner. The thing is he never mentioned ANYTHING about bumping up the line presure when i got the conveter. It seems to me if this converter is going to fail if i put it behind a stock tranny with stock programing he should tell me about it.

Is there anyone here that thinks a 9.5" single disk converter was the correct converter for my set up? it seems to me the more likely cause of the problem was too much power for that lock up to hold and eventual clutch lining failure.

part of the trango shift kit is a modification to get rid of the pulse modulation lock up. after the shift kit it only had on and off. that should have helped things last too.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by marc_w
Okay, I gotcha on the line pressure, Ragtop.

From what I heard, if TM isn't removed with the trans-go kit installed, the two will start to fight each other on the shifts. While the TG is trying to shift rapidly, the TM is trying to slow it down and reduce that driveline shock.

Torque management is the (huge) reduction of ignition timing just before and after the shift point. There should be no problem running a TG with TM.

John
Old 07-15-2004, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

I see your frustration when a small business is closed for 2 weeks and you take matters into your hands. It is not a total surprise that cutting open the converter voided the warranty.

As a general proposition, I don't know how many shops will stand behind their converters and trannies when a shift kit has been added and the programming has been messed with too. Shift kits are designed to work with the stock programming. Improperly installed shift kits can screw up line pressure too as can bad programming. Tranny & converter manufactures assume their products will be properly installed and operated. The analogy is no different than asking a piston manufacturer stand behind their product after some guy with a 150 shot went lean and hit a 20:1 AFR. Now some shops will suck it up and fix it anyways, but I can understand when they say they won't.

Ragtop when I read the post I had the same thoughts. However, this is not the first 'nightmare' with dealing with Yank post I have seen. It boils down to their Customer relations. If I paid top dollar for the "best" TC (as Yank will attest and show reasons why) and I have a problem I EXPECT good (if not great) customer service. Unfortunately, I have seen numerous posts where the customer (right or wrong) either went days with no responce and unable to reach OR when they (I think it it is the same guy) get ahold of Yank they are belittled or shut down or like this time 'yelled at'.

Sorry, but that is enough reason to go with TCI and I have seen no posts in the last year that were negative regarding TCI.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by parish8
i hear you on the cuting it open part, i guess i should have just accepted the aditional 2 week down time(right in the middle of the season). in the past when i killed a tranny the converter was fine, i had it serviced just to be sure but there were no problems and the local guys were able to get it back to me in 2 days.

As far as the shift kit and programing, Mikes saw the problem as not enuff line presure. he comented on the tranny needing to be built correctly and the programing done right. to me that indicates that if i had done neither of the things it would have gone bad even sooner. The thing is he never mentioned ANYTHING about bumping up the line presure when i got the conveter. It seems to me if this converter is going to fail if i put it behind a stock tranny with stock programing he should tell me about it.

Is there anyone here that thinks a 9.5" single disk converter was the correct converter for my set up? it seems to me the more likely cause of the problem was too much power for that lock up to hold and eventual clutch lining failure.

part of the trango shift kit is a modification to get rid of the pulse modulation lock up. after the shift kit it only had on and off. that should have helped things last too.

Do you lock your converter while running the 1/4 or go WOT with the converter locked?
Old 07-15-2004, 02:40 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JNorris
Do you lock your converter while running the 1/4 or go WOT with the converter locked?
yes i do, it locks up about 1/2 way thru 3rd gear but after looking at some of my logs it seems it wasn't doing it consistantly. the converter is really tight and it only droped about 200rpm at lock up. Mike told me i could lock it up as long as the rpm change from before and after was under 500rpm, basicaly dont lock it too soon.

now that i think back i was trying to adjust my lock up rpm and i wasn't able to get consistant results. this problem may have been coming on for awhile.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by parish8
yes i do, it locks up about 1/2 way thru 3rd gear but after looking at some of my logs it seems it wasn't doing it consistantly. the converter is really tight and it only droped about 200rpm at lock up. Mike told me i could lock it up as long as the rpm change from before and after was under 500rpm, basicaly dont lock it too soon.

now that i think back i was trying to adjust my lock up rpm and i wasn't able to get consistant results. this problem may have been coming on for awhile.

I think you would need a bigger lockup clutch than what you had in that converter to handle the power you are putting out and the amount of weight you are pushing.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JNorris
Torque management is the (huge) reduction of ignition timing just before and after the shift point. There should be no problem running a TG with TM.
There must be some different programming between the cars and trucks... I heard of a number of people having problems with the above.

I've seen the TG kits listed in a number of places, that have descriptions stating that TM must be removed when the kits are run...

Here's an example (not word for word, but...): http://www.kdsperformance.com/tranhigpersh1.html

Maybe it's not TM itself, but the "desired shift times" that need to be modified?
Old 07-15-2004, 04:10 PM
TECH Addict

Parish, were you running a shift kit in that tranny?

I heard something about the 4L60's having a "partial apply" of the TCC at certain times. The TransGo kits are supposed to eliminate it, making the TCC apply/release a go/no-go thing.

I'm not sure if that applies to the '80 also, but figured I'd toss it out here.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:10 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Since the transgo removed the PWM lockup, I agree you just had too much power and weight and blew through that clutch. Obviously not enough clutch for your application.

I think the 3-disk vig will suit you well.

Were you seeing better ET's or better mph locking it up in third vs. not locking it? I'd be scared to lock anything with that much power and weight.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by marc_w
...I heard something about the 4L60's having a "partial apply" of the TCC at certain times. The TransGo kits are supposed to eliminate it, making the TCC apply/release a go/no-go thing.... I'm not sure if that applies to the '80 also, but figured I'd toss it out here.
The 4L80E with TransGo shiftkit I am running seems to have no pulse-width modulation for the torque converter clutch circuit. Engagement is firm and precise. Feels like fifth gear. It has a 13" stock converter sized for a 5.7L Vortec. From my experience with the shiftkit I would say it could only IMPROVE the converter's chances of survival.

To lockup under power or not to lockup under power is a trade-off based on the capabilities of the converter clutch. Not locking up preserves the clutch but builds heat rapidly on long pulls of high power. Locking the clutch will reduce heat and the associated power losses, but only if the clutch will hold. The clutch isn't going to slip more than the rate it would under that power and RPM if unlocked, but instead of that heat being generated by fluid shear and dynamics it's coming from the contact friction between the plates and clutch surfaces where it's concentrated and can reach tremendous temperatures. The high temps can disintegrate the clutch material and damage the fluid. With this much power I'd probably not lock it under power and just try to keep it cool.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:52 PM
TECH Junkie

No matter what the problem, I'll never understand a company getting hostile with a client or not returning calls. Bad business decisions.

Whether to lock up the converter or not would all depend on the converter and maintenance program you'd want to do. Wade's car had a custom converter that he would lock up in the old 8 sec ARE car and his power numbers were way up there.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by next
No matter what the problem, I'll never understand a company getting hostile with a client or not returning calls. Bad business decisions.
definetly. looks like that stupid mistake has just lost him alot of business.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:11 PM
Launching!

definetly. looks like that stupid mistake has just lost him alot of business.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

dammit... i just bought a yank
Old 07-16-2004, 08:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by hink9
dammit... i just bought a yank
Me too.....

Do the TT series of converters have a larger clutch than the PY converters? I'm getting a little worried about running this converter w/ a 100-shot like I planned.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Scream:
A 100 shot isn't that big a deal. Parish had a blower plus spray.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Scream:
A 100 shot isn't that big a deal. Parish had a blower plus spray.
He actually has a T-76 turbo plus spray, but who's counting?

I'm aware of his setup, but I've heard N2O is hard on converters, and just wanted to make sure.

Quick Reply: Yank denies warranty