Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E Sonnax Build - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 12:51 PM
Teching In

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Ok...well..after giving it some hell...I notice now I have a 3-2 downshift flare. But this is where it gets interesting:
At first I thought it was a mismatch in the timing of the band engagement and 3/4 clutch. I thought the worse I'd need to do is drill another separator plate. No big deal.
However, before blaming the build, I hooked up HP Tuners and ran some scans driving the truck making the 3-2 flare occur. What I found out is the PCM is commanding a significant pressure drop the instant the transmission is commanded to downshift into 2nd from 3rd. The pressure drop lasts for about a half second and then the pressure increases to max hold and the band grabs and the truck takes off. But that half second or so allows for a pretty significant flare. I was able to prove the transmission was mechanically sound by overriding the Force Motor Current mA setting in the tune by using the VCM scanner tools. I set the FMC to be at 150mA and then forced a 3-2 downshift and the transmission performed as expected with a nice clean downshift and pressure staying high all through the shift. Traditionally I would never mess with the FMC table as there are other tables to adjust line pressure in a more precise manner. Unfortunately when I go to the Pressure Modifiers section of the tune and add multipliers in the 3-2 Downshift Pressure Modifier table, the shift flare remains and the pressure still drops off. These tables were zeroed out in the factory tune so they might not be active in the current operating system on the PCM. No matter what I add to those tables, nothing changes. I can't find any other adjustments that takes the pressure drop out of the equation. I'm stumped. I know this possibly may have something to do with blocking of the 3-2 control and downshift valves in the valve body as those are there for a smoother shift timing. Could there be something in the tune that is expecting those valves to be functioning and that may be why there's a pressure drop for a half second? I'm hoping someone else has run into this issue and knows how to fix it. All other down shifting is perfect. 2-1 and 4-3 are very good. All up shifting is also perfect at light cruising and hard driving...good, clean shifts. It's only the 3-2 downshift that is flaring due to a mysterious loss in pressure.

Last edited by Brando1118Burb; 06-01-2021 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-02-2021, 10:56 AM
Teching In

Update:
I've got an email inquiry out to HP Tuners about the 3-2 Downshift Pressure Modifier table and why it's inactive in the operating system of my PCM. Possibly there is another operating system that I can run on my P59 PCM that opens up these tables.
In the mean time, I've adjusted my Force Motor Current table to push higher pressures in the range of my 3-2 downshift. This works and the truck hooks....but it's far from elegant and I'm not too crazy about the higher pressures in an otherwise tame area of the FMC table.
After careful thought....I have a theory that may alleviate this flare if there's nothing I can do on the software side: Since the PCM-managed pressure is clearly late on the apply to engage the band on the 3-2 downshift, I'm thinking I can do more with this delayed static pressure by adding the Sonnax 2nd gear servo and drilling out 2-3 and band release to .140/.104 respectively. That way there's more surface area in the back of the Sonnax 2nd servo to increase the efficiency of the band application with the same delayed pressure output. For those of you who have HP Tuners and are curious, I've attached my VCM scan with an obvious flare at the 3m : 35s mark. Notice the delay in pressure rise when the scan is playing at its slowest rate. The tach flares at the drop and hooks when pressure recovers.
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
3-2FlareLog.hpl (179.8 KB, 23 views)
The following users liked this post:
Edward Stark (06-02-2021)
Old 06-02-2021, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Brando1118Burb
Update:
I've got an email inquiry out to HP Tuners about the 3-2 Downshift Pressure Modifier table and why it's inactive in the operating system of my PCM. Possibly there is another operating system that I can run on my P59 PCM that opens up these tables.
In the mean time, I've adjusted my Force Motor Current table to push higher pressures in the range of my 3-2 downshift. This works and the truck hooks....but it's far from elegant and I'm not too crazy about the higher pressures in an otherwise tame area of the FMC table.
After careful thought....I have a theory that may alleviate this flare if there's nothing I can do on the software side: Since the PCM-managed pressure is clearly late on the apply to engage the band on the 3-2 downshift, I'm thinking I can do more with this delayed static pressure by adding the Sonnax 2nd gear servo and drilling out 2-3 and band release to .140/.104 respectively. That way there's more surface area in the back of the Sonnax 2nd servo to increase the efficiency of the band application with the same delayed pressure output. For those of you who have HP Tuners and are curious, I've attached my VCM scan with an obvious flare at the 3m : 35s mark. Notice the delay in pressure rise when the scan is playing at its slowest rate. The tach flares at the drop and hooks when pressure recovers.
Check this out :

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...erts-here.html
Old 06-02-2021, 04:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Edward Stark
Thanks Edward Stark,
I've already come across that thread. The professors here know everything there is to know about my build.
I will add that I ground my servo pin to .060 on the nose. Also final 3/4 clutch clearance at .035.
The build was done 'by the book' from the suggestions and guidance from the folks on this site.
I feel the transmission is mechanically sound. The problem is the inability to edit certain relevant tables in my operating system on the p59 PCM (specifically the 3-2 downshift pressure modifiers), or I've got something happening in my tune that I'm unaware of. Appreciate the heads up though!
I'm still digging.
vorteciroc (06-02-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 02:55 AM
On The Tree

Thanks Edward Stark,
I've already come across that thread. The professors here know everything there is to know about my build.
I will add that I ground my servo pin to .060 on the nose. Also final 3/4 clutch clearance at .035.
The build was done 'by the book' from the suggestions and guidance from the folks on this site.
I feel the transmission is mechanically sound. The problem is the inability to edit certain relevant tables in my operating system on the p59 PCM (specifically the 3-2 downshift pressure modifiers), or I've got something happening in my tune that I'm unaware of. Appreciate the heads up though!
I'm still digging.
Hi Brando!
Did you manage to solve the problem?
Old 06-16-2021, 08:56 PM
Teching In

I apologize for the long span between replies. I’ve been testing different scenarios with this 3-2 flare issue. It’s fixed, but not the way I want it fixed. I've gone through the wiring to make sure it's not the truck. I've fixed some high resistance wires in some places. When it’s all said and done, the obvious issue is there’s a delay in the applied shift pressure....it's right there in the scan. The transmission is mechanically sound. The table I need access to so I can remedy this is not active for the LS trucks. I believe this flare is directly related to the elimination of the 3-2 downshift and control valves in the valve body. When also considering the power and the weight of the truck it seems I've uncovered a scenario the software can't compensate for in its current static state. The only purpose of the 3-2 downshift valves are for a delay in shift. The software assumes I still have these valves and so it still delays the pressure on the downshift, but my valve body is quicker now with the 3-2 valves disabled and the band applies damn near instantaneously, or as fast as 0.060” anyway. But when it applies it's lacking pressure and it flares a tad. My request has gone to the HP Tuners engineers for evaluation. Below are some things to note that I’ve deduced from this experience.
  • This flare only occurs in heavier throttle, but not full throttle 3-2 downshifts. When I put it to the floor the force motor current settings give full pressure and there’s no flare. And yes I’m making sure to be in 3rd gear and it only goes to 2nd. This isn’t a 4-2 or 3-1 downshift. Have to be at a certain speed. But please know, the 4-2 and 3-1 downshifts when I give it the beans are crisp and the truck hauls ***.
  • When studying the VCM scanner in the slowest motion setting, the PID in HP Tuners named Downshift Solenoid 3-2 PWM Duty Cycle is at %100 during the time span of the delay in pressure apply. It becomes inactive at the same time the pressure finally applies and the band grabs. This is taking place within less than a single second. This to me indicates this entire issue is within an area of the software that I can’t manipulate and is “baked in” to the software to work with the stock valve body’s 3-2 solenoid PWM and the configuration that utilizes the 3-2 downshift and control valves.
  • When I adjust the FMC pressure in the VCM scanner OR adjust the FMC tables for higher pressure in this commanded pressure range, the flare goes away.
  • The table in HP Tuners that I need access to that is not active in LS Trucks is the 3-2 Pressure Modifier Table. I’m certain if I had access to this table, I would be able to modify the pressure slightly during this event and eliminate the flare. I’ve proven this by adjusting the pressure using less than elegant methods.
  • As a fix for now, I’ve myopically adjusted pressure by lowering the 48-60 Commanded Line Pressure columns by %25 and the 66 Commanded Line Pressure Column by %15 in the Force Motor Current table for the full range of transmission fluid temperature. The FMC (Force Motor Current) table can be found in the Shift General tab inside the Trans settings in HP Tuners for P59 Gen3 PCM’s.
  • Finally, the transmission shifts excellent in all other upshift and downshift scenarios.

Edward Stark (06-17-2021)
Old 06-17-2021, 10:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,260 Likes on 806 Posts

under heavy throttle with the 3-2 solenoid commanded ON
that does the same thing as you having the valve blocked in---the solenoid would stroke the valve inboard...which is the same as having it blocked inboard
hence why we block it in...take one more variable away with the 3-2 solenoid and give you full control of the downshift orifice sizing.

from experience, doing nearly hundreds of units like this...blocking those valves is not your issue
Old 06-17-2021, 12:39 PM
Teching In

Maroon,
I totally agree. After everything I've learned on this forum, blocking the 3-2 valves is the way to go. Eliminate all potential circuit leaks when possible. Especially, when GM themselves got rid of the valves in the later evolution of the 4L60E.
From what I can ascertain by viewing the VCM scan and witnessing the commanded pressure being delayed and that delay time corresponding directly with the 3-2 PWM engagement makes me think the computer is waiting to apply pressure AFTER the PWM solenoid has been activated for the allotted time. That built-in delay allows the band to flare a little too much. I believe this is also exacerbated by the fact my truck is 7000lbs and makes decent torque way over stock. In a lighter car/truck this may not be as noticeable. If I could just have access to the 3-2 Pressure Modifier table, then I could elegantly tune this out. I don't like editing the Force Motor Current table, but that's all I have access to that will directly affect pressure in the desired commanded area.
Old 06-17-2021, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...uild-tbss.html

HTH.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,257 Likes on 878 Posts

Maroon,
I totally agree. After everything I've learned on this forum, blocking the 3-2 valves is the way to go. Eliminate all potential circuit leaks when possible. Especially, when GM themselves got rid of the valves in the later evolution of the 4L60E.
From what I can ascertain by viewing the VCM scan and witnessing the commanded pressure being delayed and that delay time corresponding directly with the 3-2 PWM engagement makes me think the computer is waiting to apply pressure AFTER the PWM solenoid has been activated for the allotted time. That built-in delay allows the band to flare a little too much. I believe this is also exacerbated by the fact my truck is 7000lbs and makes decent torque way over stock. In a lighter car/truck this may not be as noticeable. If I could just have access to the 3-2 Pressure Modifier table, then I could elegantly tune this out. I don't like editing the Force Motor Current table, but that's all I have access to that will directly affect pressure in the desired commanded area.
The guys on the 4L60E Team over at GM Power-Train (originally a Buick Div. and Chevrolet Div. Engineering Team, and NOT a Hydra-Matic Engineering Team)...
had been trying to do away with the 3-2 Control-Valve and Solenoid since 1996 (the 1997 Model-Year).
GM (Corporate) felt that removing the 3-2 Control-Valve and Solenoid was an unnecessary expense, and declined to make the change until the 2009 Model-Year...

The history of the 3-2 Control-Valve is a bit of a long story... 200-4R Transmission.
However the 3-2 Control-Valve and circuits NEVER operated as intended (this is an example of a design working on paper, but not in reality).
The 3-2 Control-Valve acted as a big constantly variable Orifice for 3rd Accumulator Fluid...
It was supposed to operate as a "On/ Off Switch" instead.

The Engineers actually redesigned the 3rd Accumulator circuit in 1989 for the THM700-R4, but were not allowed to do anything with it.
This NEW 3-2 Control-Valve and Spring looked almost identical to the 3-2 Control-Valve that was used in 1996+ 4L60E Valve-Bodies.
The purpose of the change was to help make the NEW 3-2 Control-Valve act as an On/ Off Switch.
GM (Corporate) decided that they did not want to implement this NEW 3-2 Control-Valve...
Anyone ever wonder how/ why TransGo uses a 3-2 Control-Valve just like this in their THM700-R4 Shift-Kit?

For the 1993 Model-Year of the 4L60E, the 3-2 Control-Valve received a PWM Solenoid as an intermediate change until the 1989 redesign could be implemented for the 1996 Model-Year.
The 1993 - 1995 version essentially acted the same as in the THM700-R4 and THM200-4R...
although GM Engineers were hoping that the solenoid would slightly improve function compared to being controlled by Governor-Pressure, as in the THM700-R4 and THM200-4R.
The 1989 design was finally implemented for the 1996 Model-Year with an On/ Off Solenoid...
The 3-2 Control-Valve finally operated as originally intended (just like the design did on paper).

Unfortunately the 3-2 Control-Valve (now operating as intended) was ultimately deemed to be a failure/ an unnecessary component/ system.
GM Engineers now wanted to due away with the 3-2 Control-Valve and Solenoid all together.
GM (Corporate) felt that removing the 3-2 Control-Valve and Solenoid was an unnecessary expense, and declined to make the change until the 2009 Model-Year...
and the reason that GM finally permitted the Valve-Body change is not for the reason you would think (they did not finally just say yes to the Engineers).

Anyone wish to take a guess, as to why the change was finally made for the 2009 Model-Year?

Last edited by vorteciroc; 06-18-2021 at 11:12 PM.
2BFAST (08-06-2021)
Old 06-18-2021, 01:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by vorteciroc
Anyone wish to take a guess, as to why the change was finally made for the 2009 Model-Year?
They removed the 3-2 control valve because MaroonMonster was jumping with a piece of hydroualics schematic paper in front of Toledo's factory with a megaphone, prooving that GM is wrong using this valve?
This gentleman knows 4L60e better than GM anyway. I wish you and Maroon have created this tranny.

What is the hype around 4L75e btw?
The following 2 users liked this post by Edward Stark:
2BFAST (08-06-2021), vorteciroc (06-18-2021)
Old 06-18-2021, 02:43 PM
TECH Junkie

That was funny!

Hype is "Hype", and most of the time it should be straight-up ignored!

The 4L75E is a GM Performance-Parts/ Dealership Parts-Counter ONLY Automatic Transmission.
Meaning the 4L75E is NOT a production Transmission that has been installed into vehicles by the Factory.

Essentially, the 4L75E is just another 4L60E/ 65E/ 70E with several Aftermarket upgraded Parts.
Its not a bad Unit... but it is expensive.
Old 08-06-2021, 02:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by vorteciroc
That was funny!

Hype is "Hype", and most of the time it should be straight-up ignored!

The 4L75E is a GM Performance-Parts/ Dealership Parts-Counter ONLY Automatic Transmission.
Meaning the 4L75E is NOT a production Transmission that has been installed into vehicles by the Factory.

Essentially, the 4L75E is just another 4L60E/ 65E/ 70E with several Aftermarket upgraded Parts.
Its not a bad Unit... but it is expensive.
Do they list precisely its "improved" components and what is its torque rating? Thanks.
Old 08-06-2021, 02:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,260 Likes on 806 Posts

Throw the sonnax catalogue at a 4l60e and what you're left with is a 4l75e
Old 08-07-2021, 03:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
Then I must be building a 4L76.999EA here!
Old 08-13-2021, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
Btw, if we're speaking about the newest 4l60e...
Can i swap my 2008 vb with the true 2009 vb using the 2009 gakets?
Did the case had any changes? I doubt so but i would like to hear for x-perts
Old 08-18-2021, 08:25 PM
Teching In

Update:
I wanted to get a few thousand miles under my belt with this build doing some hard driving so I could report back with some real results. First I want to address that I fixed my 3-2 downshift delay by bringing my Desired Throttle Body Area back to stock in HP Tuners. I had it fairly aggressive by adopting some data from other tunes since I have the 90mm throttle body running on this engine with the TBSS intake. Once I restored the DTBA back to what was stock for a 78mm throttle body(even though I don't have one anymore) the delay went away. So it was my fault. Throttle responsiveness is just fine. Very interesting how installing a correctly performing transmission into the truck highlighted areas in my tune that needed attention. Other than that, the transmission is working great! No weird noises or any other funny shifts or behavior. Fluid is still ruby red and the transmission has no overheating issues. I'm about to build another one and this time I'm contacting Dana to send me one of his kits. Excited about digging into another build. Just want to thank all of you again for your time and patience with me as I learned about this transmission. Now when I speak with Dana I will be able to explain the mods I'm doing to the case and I'll understand why he will recommend the changes and parts he sends me. I would not be able to do any of that without going on this journey. The best part is, each one I build, I will learn more.
The following 2 users liked this post by Brando1118Burb:
2BFAST (08-19-2021), MaroonMonsterLS1 (08-19-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 09:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Edward Stark
Btw, if we're speaking about the newest 4l60e...
Can i swap my 2008 vb with the true 2009 vb using the 2009 gakets?
Did the case had any changes? I doubt so but i would like to hear for x-perts
2008 and 2009 Valve-Bodies are Physically different and Electronically different.

They can be swapped, but there is a lot involved...
Research swapping to an Internal-Mode Switch Unit.
There are few Threads here that go over it.

You will need:
-Valve-Body and Gaskets.
-PCM/ TCM.
-Selector-Shaft and Seal.
-Filter.
-Internal-Mode Switch.
-Internal Harness for Internal-Mode Switch.
-External harness for Internal-Mode Switch.
Old 08-18-2021, 09:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Update:
I wanted to get a few thousand miles under my belt with this build doing some hard driving so I could report back with some real results. First I want to address that I fixed my 3-2 downshift delay by bringing my Desired Throttle Body Area back to stock in HP Tuners. I had it fairly aggressive by adopting some data from other tunes since I have the 90mm throttle body running on this engine with the TBSS intake. Once I restored the DTBA back to what was stock for a 78mm throttle body(even though I don't have one anymore) the delay went away. So it was my fault. Throttle responsiveness is just fine. Very interesting how installing a correctly performing transmission into the truck highlighted areas in my tune that needed attention. Other than that, the transmission is working great! No weird noises or any other funny shifts or behavior. Fluid is still ruby red and the transmission has no overheating issues. I'm about to build another one and this time I'm contacting Dana to send me one of his kits. Excited about digging into another build. Just want to thank all of you again for your time and patience with me as I learned about this transmission. Now when I speak with Dana I will be able to explain the mods I'm doing to the case and I'll understand why he will recommend the changes and parts he sends me. I would not be able to do any of that without going on this journey. The best part is, each one I build, I will learn more.
Congrats!

Refresh my memory... What Case changes did you make?
Old 08-18-2021, 09:29 PM
Teching In

VortecIroc
Hmmmm...let's see...for the case:
1. Blocked 4th accumulator
2. Removed #6 Overrun Clutch Control check b*** for Sonnax 2-3 Heavy Duty Shift valve (more a valve body mod I guess)
3. Superior K0136 in place of 3rd accumulator capsule
4. Believe I removed the low reverse check ball at rear of case, as well

Last edited by Brando1118Burb; 08-18-2021 at 09:40 PM.

Quick Reply: 4L60E Sonnax Build - Questions