Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e to 4l80e segment swap no shifting

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2024 | 01:38 AM
Teching In

Default 4l60e to 4l80e segment swap no shifting

I just did a 1994 4l80e swap on a 06 silverado 5.3 that was originally a 4wd and have brand new solenoids, torque converter, Custom drive shaft, new 4.10 gears,new neutral saftey switch, new wiring harness with the 4l80e adapter harness that connects to the transmission.
I am not getting any shift into gear at all I got my truck tuned for it and added the rear speed sensor, Pin A to 22 and PIN B to 23. on the original harness to connect to the transmission I disconnected the Tan w/ Black Stipe and white wire because i seen videos that these aren’t supposed to be used? And Put the BROWN wire into the S pin. Currently I am still getting a P2761 Code and have No transmission fluid in the tranny. Should i added 13.5 quarts in first and try it or am I gonna have to take the pan off again? Please i need help anything will help. am i missing anything?

Last edited by rjp559; 10-26-2024 at 04:14 AM.
Old 10-26-2024 | 04:48 AM
TECH Fanatic
5 Year Member

Did you put a quart or two of fluid into the torque converter? It needs some to get things going.

Rick
Old 10-26-2024 | 09:59 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by rjp559
I just did a 1994 4l80e swap on a 06 silverado 5.3 that was originally a 4wd and have brand new solenoids, torque converter, Custom drive shaft, new 4.10 gears,new neutral saftey switch, new wiring harness with the 4l80e adapter harness that connects to the transmission.
I am not getting any shift into gear at all I got my truck tuned for it and added the rear speed sensor, Pin A to 22 and PIN B to 23. on the original harness to connect to the transmission I disconnected the Tan w/ Black Stipe and white wire because i seen videos that these aren’t supposed to be used? And Put the BROWN wire into the S pin. Currently I am still getting a P2761 Code and have No transmission fluid in the tranny. Should i added 13.5 quarts in first and try it or am I gonna have to take the pan off again? Please i need help anything will help. am i missing anything?
You will not get any movement with no fluid period and do not run truck that way. If you have then the pump is likely already toast even for a just a minute . But just turning key on you are getting an electrical code, Assuming you have the segment swap done. I would say the wiring switch has not been properly completed. This is a thread on Performance Trucks that takes you through this pretty well , Verify your wiring with it . https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...g-swap-413157/

The following users liked this post:
bbond105 (10-26-2024)
Old 10-26-2024 | 02:18 PM
Teching In

No i have not when i put the 4l80e in i took it to the shop and they didn’t add anythingI will definitely add some today and let you guys know what happens.
Old 10-26-2024 | 02:21 PM
Teching In

Well damn I have ran the truck a few times trying to get it into a gear. But that may explain my problem. Will adding transmission fluid resolve the P2761 code that i am getting? or will it be a working issue?
Old 10-26-2024 | 04:33 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Well damn I have ran the truck a few times trying to get it into a gear. But that may explain my problem. Will adding transmission fluid resolve the P2761 code that i am getting? or will it be a working issue?
The code is an electrical code and wiring related . As for the adding fluid I am gonna be surprised if you didn't kill the pump

bbond105 (10-26-2024)
Old 10-26-2024 | 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh wow, here for the comments
Old 10-26-2024 | 05:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FranksCustomTrans
The code is an electrical code and wiring related . As for the adding fluid I am gonna be surprised if you didn't kill the pump
UPDATE I put fluid in it and I have all gears now But when i put it into gear it’s fine until i start driving it’s like a clicky grindy clunky sound maybe lol when i step on it a little and when it shifts to 2nd and the sound happens in 1st and 2nd gear manually. VIDEO PROVIDED BUT LS1TECH SAYS ITS TOO MUCH MB for 2 13 sec videos:/ Any where else i can send them to? and email?
Old 10-26-2024 | 06:06 PM
TECH Addict
10 Year Member

Auto transmissions are just like engines, they need oil to operate. Would you expect a freshly rebuilt engine to start up and run with on oil in it and not damage the engine. At the very least the Transmision pump bushing, or in engine terms the pump bearing is damaged. Possibly the pump gears, engine terms the oil pump.
Old 10-26-2024 | 06:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bbond105
Auto transmissions are just like engines, they need oil to operate. Would you expect a freshly rebuilt engine to start up and run with on oil in it and not damage the engine. At the very least the Transmision pump bushing, or in engine terms the pump bearing is damaged. Possibly the pump gears, engine terms the oil pump.
So are these the reasons why i’m getting the noise? pump bearing? or the whole pump gear assembly? And or the TCC solenoid code P2761?

Last edited by rjp559; 10-26-2024 at 07:39 PM.
Old Yesterday | 08:55 AM
TECH Addict
10 Year Member

I can't say for sure. I'm not there to hear it or know how long it was run without fluid. Most likely the damage from being ran without fluid is the cause.

Like Frank said the code is an electrical problem.
Old Yesterday | 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic
5 Year Member

"Clicky, grindy, clunky sounds" are never good in any transmission - electrical problems or TCC solenoid problems or not. I'd say you are destroying internal hard parts and only making matters worse and more expensive to remedy. A rebuild or replacement is in your very near future. And don't forget - add fluid.

Rick
FranksCustomTrans (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 02:22 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Here is how I would handle this if i ever did such a thing, Logically, 1st since it does not require the engine to be running or the trans to work, I would tackle solving the electrical issue so it would be out of the way. get rid of it and the code gone. That way when you go back in your ready to go.
Then if its making all the noise you say I would remove the trans and disassemble and figure out all that was damaged checking at least back through the fwd clutch assembly as in park all of this can turn from drag even with no oil . Also I would assume possible converter damage and handle it as such .
I know, not what you want to hear but just the facts.

Old Yesterday | 03:53 PM
Teching In

Here is how I would handle this if i ever did such a thing, Logically, 1st since it does not require the engine to be running or the trans to work, I would tackle solving the electrical issue so it would be out of the way. get rid of it and the code gone. That way when you go back in your ready to go.
Then if its making all the noise you say I would remove the trans and disassemble and figure out all that was damaged checking at least back through the fwd clutch assembly as in park all of this can turn from drag even with no oil . Also I would assume possible converter damage and handle it as such .
I know, not what you want to hear but just the facts.
Thank you very much i’ve tried getting the code out the way by replacing all solenoids you thing it could be the harness maybe a wire i gotta switch up? But as of everything else i understand. I will come back to this forum with updates. Thank you
Old Yesterday | 04:04 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Thank you very much i’ve tried getting the code out the way by replacing all solenoids you thing it could be the harness maybe a wire i gotta switch up? But as of everything else i understand. I will come back to this forum with updates. Thank you
I am certain it is a wiring or connector issue .

Old Today | 12:01 AM
Teching In

I am certain it is a wiring or connector issue .
Would it make sense if i put the plug backwards on the “Torque Converter Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Control Circuit/Open” ? That’s what code that keeps popping any idea what wire pin that would be on the connector?
How could i fix the wire issue? maybe a shortage? possible a relay?

Quick Reply: 4l60e to 4l80e segment swap no shifting