Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 guys with 373 gears, at 45 mph at WOT you still get that screaming performace?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
If you upshift at (say) 69MPH 2-3 you should be able to
downshift at 65 or below, sensibly. Downshifting to 2nd at
45 should put you onto about 4000RPM. That sounds like a
bogus answer to me. Have you followed up on the things
I suggested you check out in Edit, yet?

i wish i can check my LS1 edit data, finish line did the set up at their shop and i got the data saved on a disk, i wish i had Ls1 edit so i can view the data, so your saying that i should have a 2nd gear downshift at 45 mph? according to the tech who does the Ls1 edit and the trans tech they both say that 45 mph the RPM is to high to allow a 4-2 downshift, that it wont happen, i was wondering jimmyblue if u have an A4 trans with 373 gears or if you have driven in a A4 trans with 373 gears and have seen the car downshift into second gear at 45mph for that in your seat pant feeling?
Old 10-13-2004, 09:25 PM
TECH Junkie

jimmy is your edit vin locked?
Old 10-13-2004, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you know for a fact that it isn't going into 2nd?? When I go WOT in the 40-45mph range it's a bit sluggish due to it hitting the bottom on 2nd and killing performance but this is with stock 3:23's, but if jimmy is correct saying with 3:73's you should be around 4000rpm when downshifting into 2nd that should feel fairly strong because you are near the tq peak. I usually never manually downshift either but I have been reved at by some stangs in the 40mph range and was kinda forced to drop it into 2nd because if I have to wait for the computer to do it at that speed it's very possible i'm gonna lose or atleast have some catch up to play. Good luck
Old 10-13-2004, 09:58 PM
TECH Junkie

dam there goes my tranny!
Old 10-13-2004, 10:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have HPTuners and it isn't VIN locked, I can get it
on with any '02 F-body. I had 3.23s and just changed
to 3.42s, and it was pretty simple with automatic trans
scaling from gears and tires. My N-1th (3.23s still) tune
tables transcribed to Excel sheets is hosted at:

http://home.cfl.rr.com/jimmyblue/PCM_Trans_20040823.xls

You could go scale every MPH value in them by 0.866 and
see how that plays against your current settings.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AK's WS6
Do you know for a fact that it isn't going into 2nd?? When I go WOT in the 40-45mph range it's a bit sluggish due to it hitting the bottom on 2nd and killing performance but this is with stock 3:23's, but if jimmy is correct saying with 3:73's you should be around 4000rpm when downshifting into 2nd that should feel fairly strong because you are near the tq peak. I usually never manually downshift either but I have been reved at by some stangs in the 40mph range and was kinda forced to drop it into 2nd because if I have to wait for the computer to do it at that speed it's very possible i'm gonna lose or atleast have some catch up to play. Good luck
yes i can tell the difference when it drops in second when iam crusing at 40 mph and when i floor it at WOT it downshifts into second, now its not the same feeling when iam crusing at 45 mph, when i floor it at WOT it seems like it goes down to third gear bot not second and yes it does feel a little sluggish acceleratiion when i goes, it crawls, yes its a different feeling at 40 mph at WOT compared to 45 mph at WOT, maybe thats normal for the 373 gears for it not to downshift into second when crusing at 45 mph as finish line performace told me that 3.73 gears the rpm is to high at 45 mph to allow a 4-2 downshift.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:20 PM
TECH Junkie

what things can you change with hp tuners? i need an air code turned off, reduce tq management, and im running a bit rich on my top end could you help me with this if i came down one weekend ??? i can throw a couple of $$$ for your time i just wanna do some little stuff till i get a full tune latter this year with my tci ssf 3800 install
Old 10-13-2004, 11:22 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by whataretheodds
yes i can tell the difference when it drops in second when iam crusing at 40 mph and when i floor it at WOT it downshifts into second, now its not the same feeling when iam crusing at 45 mph, when i floor it at WOT it seems like it goes down to third gear bot not second and yes it does feel a little sluggish acceleratiion when i goes, it crawls, yes its a different feeling at 40 mph at WOT compared to 45 mph at WOT, maybe thats normal for the 373 gears for it not to downshift into second when crusing at 45 mph as finish line performace told me that 3.73 gears the rpm is to high at 45 mph to allow a 4-2 downshift.
As Jimmyblue has been trying to tell you, what the FLP tech is telling you is absolute crap. It is NOT normal. It is a tuning issue, or, if you have a vacuum modulator, it isn't functioning right or needs adjustment. Keep pursuing the problem and listen to jimmyblue - he knows this stuff.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:15 AM
On The Tree

no the 4l60e trans doesn't have a vacuum modulator, ive been telling finish line performance and they tell me its not the tuning, they changed the shift points for the 373 gears and the downshift, dan who is the ls1 edit tech tells me that with 373 gears you will not get a second gear downshift 4-2 at 45 mph at WOT due to the high rpm of the 373 gear, so iam curious and wondering if anyone here with an A4 trans with 373 gears with LS1 edit has a 4-2 downshift at WOT at 45 MPH?? if so can you share you ls1 edit info tables and downshifts of what you have done

Last edited by whataretheodds; 10-14-2004 at 12:25 AM.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:23 AM
TECH Junkie

just put your car in 2nd and see what you tach then youll know weather its feasable i know theres a safety feature that wont let you manually shift to a gear that puts you past your redline so i dont think what hes saying is true beacouse i know with my 3.42s i often droped 65 into 2nd hell in 2 days ill tell you my new rear will be installed with my 3.73's and ill do it but as of now i say its easily possible for the car to perform a 4-2 shift at 45 in fact i would think that should land you in the 4k range another option is to look at one of those tranny ratio tables on the web that will tell you
Old 10-14-2004, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JonSSMichael
i noticed this on my g/f's 2000 Z, i aint ever drove a auto ls1 car till hers and noticed that hers wont even downshift into 1st going like 30mph....and noticed the 2nd gear as well....just seems like when i had my 94 Z (auto) that it would downshift into those gears at those mph's no prob...i didnt know what to think...it feels like a complete turd though...

Jon
Is the factory shift points. You have to be going under 26 i believe for a 1st gear downshift. If you can find somebody with 2000 hp tuners that can all be taken care of. I have my 3.42's with stall set to downshift at up to 30mph. the stock shift points are
Old 10-14-2004, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

well i emailed finish line performance and they say that the 3.73 gears the rpm is to high at 45 mph to allow a 4-2 downshift, just isn't going to happen, and its bad for the trans, so then i guess its normal for 373 gears not to downshift to second gear at WOT when crusing at 45 mph???

Jimmyblue is right. Definately find a new tuner
Old 10-14-2004, 12:49 AM
On The Tree

i emailed bob at EPP and ill see what he says and thinks
Old 10-14-2004, 12:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SmokingWS6
Jimmyblue is right. Definately find a new tuner
true but finish line performance is a good shop, best shop in the chicago land area, i know they have tuned many LS1 cars before, they have been there many yrs, so i think they should know there stuff their tuning of the ls1 edit?? maybe not??

Last edited by whataretheodds; 10-14-2004 at 01:05 AM.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:03 AM
On The Tree

this the email dan at FLP wrote to me::

Chris,

Did you check the car in third? Did some research on a car I had here today. The computer sees 100% throttle at 4.3 volts. After talking it over with our trans builder, I will still say that with the 3.73 the rpm is to high at 45 mph to allow a 4-2 downshift, just isn't going to happen, and as i said is bad for the trans anyway.

Dan
Old 10-14-2004, 01:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

this the email dan at FLP wrote to me::

Chris,

Did you check the car in third? Did some research on a car I had here today. The computer sees 100% throttle at 4.3 volts. After talking it over with our trans builder, I will still say that with the 3.73 the rpm is to high at 45 mph to allow a 4-2 downshift, just isn't going to happen, and as i said is bad for the trans anyway.

Dan

Thats crazy. What are they thinking. How do they expect you to highway race let alone be driveable in traffic if you can't dowshift to 2 above 45mph. If i can downshift to 2nd at 70mph with 3.42's i'd assume that puts you right at 63-65mph. Bad on the transmission? Maybe, I have a stock transmission with a vig3200 for quite awhile now and its holding up just fine.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SmokingWS6
Is the factory shift points. You have to be going under 26 i believe for a 1st gear downshift. If you can find somebody with 2000 hp tuners that can all be taken care of. I have my 3.42's with stall set to downshift at up to 30mph. the stock shift points are
ill deffently look into that, thx..

Jon
Old 10-15-2004, 01:09 AM
11 Second Club

no the 4l60e trans doesn't have a vacuum modulator, ive been telling finish line performance and they tell me its not the tuning, they changed the shift points for the 373 gears and the downshift, dan who is the ls1 edit tech tells me that with 373 gears you will not get a second gear downshift 4-2 at 45 mph at WOT due to the high rpm of the 373 gear, so iam curious and wondering if anyone here with an A4 trans with 373 gears with LS1 edit has a 4-2 downshift at WOT at 45 MPH?? if so can you share you ls1 edit info tables and downshifts of what you have done
I have had a great tune in my car with 3 different converters. The tighter the converter, the less aggressive the full throttle downshifts and lock up events were. I was not happy with my downshifts exactly like you because I have a paralyzed right arm and NEED it to shift on it's own. By the time I could get my tune tweaked I had put a loose converter in. Problem solved. Upshift extension is right to redline, part throttle cruise then nailing the pedal results in a tach flash that either ignites the tires or sets right at about 5000 rpm and pulls the car up to speed with a fury.
Part throttle lock up used to suck. In too soon, etc. With a good stall it just slides down the gears as you level off the throttle, rather than down, down, lock in like 3 seconds of leveling the pedal to a cruise rpm.
I have not seen what you are running for a converter, but I am most happy around town and at wide open/stand still starts with a 4000+ stall.
3200 just were too medium for me and as jimmyblue is saying - it can be worked with the tables. Heck - you can probably tell it to downshift as high as you want and grenade the trans, but a conveter smooths the whole driving fun over without messing with settings. Don't forget a big cooler and hopefully a fresh trans built up wih a shift kit rather than programed high line pressure to compliment the stall converter.
Good luck.
Old 10-15-2004, 03:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

i have 3.73 gears but now im kinda scared to install them, if i get madwolf tune will he be able to tune it so i dont have this same problem?
Old 10-15-2004, 09:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bluecmaro96
i have 3.73 gears but now im kinda scared to install them, if i get madwolf tune will he be able to tune it so i dont have this same problem?
Dunno about the tuner or his work, but the trans
portion of the PCM -can- be educated to make it
a tight-shifting, responsive unit. I've done it, the
tools and the trans are not the problem (barring
some defect / damage), it's just that not everyone
cares enough to get in to the part throttle stuff
(especially if they're fixated on the dyno and WOT
tuning and don't want to spend the dozen or so
iterations I did, on figuring out what my customer
(me) really liked best).

Gear ratio and tire changes are simple scalings,
but simply scaling stuff that sucked from factory,
just means you super-sized the diet Pepsi when
you really wanted Dr. Pepper.

Quick Reply: LS1 guys with 373 gears, at 45 mph at WOT you still get that screaming performace?