Sponsored by:

Hello From Dave At Yank

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 09:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE AT YANK.
John thanks for the welcome

First let me start off buy saying that i have cut open many converters from all of the converter builders that you see on this forum and everyone of them has certain parts in them that are stock oem in them as you mention in your post. No converter builder is going to produce the pump or turbine of a converter from scratch the cost would be more than it would be worth.

That is why all of us building converters in the industry start out with oem cores. You also asked about customer service the first thing that we can do is get back to people asap on any issues they have or questions in general.
The next is like i mentioned in my other post we are going to dyno test all of our converters before they ship to help catch any errors if there are such as defective bearings or a bad lockup clutch.Every converter mfg has quality issues we can not control if a part is going to fail.Yank has always had it's own parts made to certain specs but not all of those were made in house before. It may also look like we have more warranty issues than some of the others but we also offer a two year warranty and some of the others only offer a 90 day warranty so you dont here about the the issues after the 90day period where we have to deal with it for two years.
My Problem with your warranty stuff is that Yanks warranty doesnt hold up to nothing...I always ended up paying for whatever it was wrong with my converter because he sent me one that was WAY too high stall for a stock internal motor and would blame it on anything he could to not warranty his product or screw up when he sent my order. I ordered a PT4400 for a stock LS1 motor and was sent a UT4600 that is designed to be shifted well past the 6000 shift point that I had!

Mike

Last edited by V6 Bird; 11-04-2004 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:10 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,199 Likes on 770 Posts

Oh and I'll post my experiences:

I had a VIG #7 and switched to a Yank TP4400 about five years ago and dropped .1 in ET and picked up 3 mph. The Vig slipped too much up top and I was manually locking it to gain back mph but I was uncomfortable with that.

I am running a Yank T400 TP4400 now and I don't have my whole car dialed in yet but it works perfect and I went 10.3@136 on a 1.59 spinning a few car lengths.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Oh and I'll post my experiences:

I had a VIG #7 and switched to a Yank TP4400 about five years ago and dropped .1 in ET and picked up 3 mph. The Vig slipped too much up top and I was manually locking it to gain back mph but I was uncomfortable with that.

I am running a Yank T400 TP4400 now and I don't have my whole car dialed in yet but it works perfect and I went 10.3@136 on a 1.59 spinning a few car lengths.
Still havent made any new passes since the 10.3's?
Old 11-04-2004, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome Dave. I have had 2 Yanks: a SS3800 and the current PT4000 (bought used). I've had zero issues outta both and loved them but the SS3800 was to small for me. But anyways. I've read nothing but problems which you've already addressed about the communication with you guys. Also have read quite a few about the internals not being what was stated or promised. Last one I remember was one of your transmissions. Someone opened it up to find a butt load of OEM parts that were supposed to upgraded.

So my question is can we expect to get what is stated from you guys? Also about the warranty. Your warranty may be stated as 2 years but everyone I've seen try to claim it had been turned down for warranty repairs. One freshly on my mind was due to the wrong gearing after someone @ Yank recommended the converter I believe.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:52 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
My Problem with your warranty stuff is that Yanks warranty doesnt hold up to nothing...I always ended up paying for whatever it was wrong with my converter because he sent me one that was WAY too high stall for a stock internal motor and would blame it on anything he could to not warranty his product or screw up when he sent my order. I ordered a PT4400 for a stock LS1 motor and was sent a UT4600 that is designed to be shifted well past the 6000 shift point that I had!

Mike
Mike

I can't speak for mike and what took place in the past but i can tell you that i feel strongley in taking care of the people that i deal with and that is what i want to do. This is why we are making the changes that we are. I only hope that in the future you get to deal with the new yank i know you will find the experiance a 100% better.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:19 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Dave.....
Tell Mike wassup

Ran a TP4400/TP4200,Never had one iota of problems with them.
Gonna go to one of your N20 verters next yr,I wanna shoot the car with a 100 shot.

John is correct,My Vig worked very well but lost MPH up top and felt too loose.
Needed to LU the clutch to get more mph and got sick of that real quick.

My TP4200 is a badass verter,shift ext. is 5400 and its tight for street driving.
I love it.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:36 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 94form2000z
Welcome Dave. I have had 2 Yanks: a SS3800 and the current PT4000 (bought used). I've had zero issues outta both and loved them but the SS3800 was to small for me. But anyways. I've read nothing but problems which you've already addressed about the communication with you guys. Also have read quite a few about the internals not being what was stated or promised. Last one I remember was one of your transmissions. Someone opened it up to find a butt load of OEM parts that were supposed to upgraded.

So my question is can we expect to get what is stated from you guys? Also about the warranty. Your warranty may be stated as 2 years but everyone I've seen try to claim it had been turned down for warranty repairs. One freshly on my mind was due to the wrong gearing after someone @ Yank recommended the converter I believe.
First of let me start with the transmission when mike was selling the transmissions in the past he was working on that with another person. Mike was not happy with the quality of what was being produced. That is why we are not selling them anymore.
The warranty issue is a touchy one i know when i buy something i hate it when it is not taken care of. The bad part here is that there is always two sides to every story. When people don't fill out and return there warranty card that can void a warranty poor installation excessive line pressure from the transmission contamination from the trans i could go on and on i know you have heard them all before but these are things that we deal with daily.

Since i have been here at yank we have had a few calls from people that were uphappy with converter problems that had bought a used one of our converters from e-bay or who knows where. When we got these in 2 of the 3
that i got where sold to these people as a yank converter when in fact they where another brand. So you have these people that are unhappy with a product that we have no control over I know this is a rare case. When we sell someone a converter we do our best to get them the right one for there application but i am sure that all converter mfg's will tell you the samething we are only as accurate as the inforamtion we get.What I mean is when you talk to certain buyers they dont no what there cam specs are or what gear they are running or they think they know. So when they get the converter and it is looser or tighter than what they asked for it is our fault.These are the kind of warranty issues that are touchy if we have a converter that is defective from our workmanship or parts we used that is another story. All i can say is in the future here at yank that we will do our best to take each warranty issue on case by case and stand behind it or not but give you a good reason why we are or not.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:07 PM
11 Second Club

I've just recently dealt with Dave, and I was very pleased with my service. I sent my ST3500 in for a rebuild/restall and it turned out to be pretty much trashed. Dave must have felt bad for me, so he cut me a sweet deal on a SS4000.

for Dave!

BTW Dave: when did that converter ship and how was it shipped (UPS, FexEx, etc)? It may have arrived at work today, since I took the day off. Thanks!
Old 11-04-2004, 05:56 PM
FormerVendor

Skinny good to hear from you i sent you a private message with your ups tracking # if you have any questions call me.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:33 PM
11 Second Club

Dave i sent you an email on 10-28 and have had no response. Just wanted to make sure the email got to you.
Josh Miller
Old 11-04-2004, 07:53 PM
TECH Regular

Default New Converter

I am wondering when the the new PS series converters will be out and what
Range will they be in ?
stall,STR, shift extention
compared to ?
YPT SS ST SY UY
DAVE YOU MIGHT EXPLAIN WARRANTY ?
If a converter is sent in for a warranty claim ,how does the customer know if it is or is not warranty,when we have no way of looking inside .
I believe it should be warranty for life of the 2 year warrenty contract.
I was not pleased to here that if the converter was not a claim it would be repaired for 300.00 if it was not a warranty issue .How do we know ?
How does the public know ,sounds real profitable ,and not helping customer satisfaction .
I bought a Vigilante ............

Last edited by Blktie8; 11-04-2004 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:10 AM
TECH Addict

Welcome to the board Dave.
There are many Yank lovers here and a decent amount of Yank haters here, but I understand their reasoning as I have read many many of their posts. I know I would be really pissed if shotty workmanship took out a $2000+ tranny plus itself. I know just the labor alone of taking out and putting in a TC is costly and something I rather not do again.

Anyhow right now I have a Yank SS3800 and I think its the greatest thing since sliced bread, tight as hell, but cut .7 off my 1/4 miles time with 2.73 gears my hopes are that it meets my expectation of performance and reliability. It met the performance, the reliability has been there, no problems after 6 months of usage, but the test of time still remains to be seen (I am hoping for trouble free usage)
Old 11-05-2004, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Blktie8
I am wondering when the the new PS series converters will be out and what
Range will they be in ?
stall,STR, shift extention
compared to ?
YPT SS ST SY UY
DAVE YOU MIGHT EXPLAIN WARRANTY ?
If a converter is sent in for a warranty claim ,how does the customer know if it is or is not warranty,when we have no way of looking inside .
I believe it should be warranty for life of the 2 year warrenty contract.
I was not pleased to here that if the converter was not a claim it would be repaired for 300.00 if it was not a warranty issue .How do we know ?
How does the public know ,sounds real profitable ,and not helping customer satisfaction .
I bought a Vigilante ............

Just to help out in the discussion and for reference. Below is the Yank warranty as taken from their web site.

Yank Converters, Inc. will warrant that each new billet torque converter sold by Yank or an authorized distributor will be free from defects in workmanship and material for a period of 2 years from the date of manufacture. Yank Converters, Inc. will repair or replace, at their discretion, the defective converter at no charge to the customer. The customer is responsible for any freight or shipping charges incurred by the return of defective parts. Customers must submit copy of installation/repair order within 10 days of the installation in order for the warranty to be valid.

This warranty does not apply to unsatisfactory torque converter performance that is attributed to factors other than defects in material or workmanship. Warranties do not cover failure of a Yank product due to misapplication, improper installation or maintenance, failure to provide adequate cooling or maintain proper fluid levels, misuse, abuse, unauthorized repairs, disassembly, or accidents. Warranty is void if the converter is subjected to abnormal transmission parameters such as excessive line pressure, non-stock programming, manual lock-up switches and SES lights. This warranty expressly does not cover loss or injury from use of the product.

Any shipping damages-claim must be submitted to the freight company.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:10 AM
9 Second Club

lol.....I would offer a 10 year warranty with that disclaimer. Hopefully customer service will be the big improvement to the new Yank. Good luck as lots have had success with yank converters
Old 11-05-2004, 08:48 AM
FormerVendor

Josh i never got that could you please send it again.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:48 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cablebandit
lol.....I would offer a 10 year warranty with that disclaimer. Hopefully customer service will be the big improvement to the new Yank. Good luck as lots have had success with yank converters
lol, yeah seriously, and in the case of a warranty claim, how do you prove some of that stuff I think it all comes down to the roll of the dice
Old 11-05-2004, 09:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DAVE AT YANK.
First of let me start with the transmission when mike was selling the transmissions in the past he was working on that with another person. Mike was not happy with the quality of what was being produced. That is why we are not selling them anymore.
The warranty issue is a touchy one i know when i buy something i hate it when it is not taken care of. The bad part here is that there is always two sides to every story. When people don't fill out and return there warranty card that can void a warranty poor installation excessive line pressure from the transmission contamination from the trans i could go on and on i know you have heard them all before but these are things that we deal with daily.

Since i have been here at yank we have had a few calls from people that were uphappy with converter problems that had bought a used one of our converters from e-bay or who knows where. When we got these in 2 of the 3
that i got where sold to these people as a yank converter when in fact they where another brand. So you have these people that are unhappy with a product that we have no control over I know this is a rare case. When we sell someone a converter we do our best to get them the right one for there application but i am sure that all converter mfg's will tell you the samething we are only as accurate as the inforamtion we get.What I mean is when you talk to certain buyers they dont no what there cam specs are or what gear they are running or they think they know. So when they get the converter and it is looser or tighter than what they asked for it is our fault.These are the kind of warranty issues that are touchy if we have a converter that is defective from our workmanship or parts we used that is another story. All i can say is in the future here at yank that we will do our best to take each warranty issue on case by case and stand behind it or not but give you a good reason why we are or not.
I guess another thing that was my warranty concern was the he stated mine was defective because of line pressure. I had stock tranny settings at the time. Only thing that was modified was when to shift. He denied the warranty on it, and I had to pay for the restall and converter that I was supposed to get the first. Im not the average Joe who doesnt know anything about my car and what cam is in it, etc. I know that its a important part of the equation in choosing the right converter or building one to my specs. Its also Yanks job to ask the questions if they arent provided and go out of their way to make sure its the right converter the right time. I have dealt with PI on converters before, never have I had a warranty issue with them that didnt get corrected under their warranty. Vicky never gave me a run around. Just said what was wrong with it and what they were doing to fix it. I dont run either converter brand now though.

Mike
Old 11-05-2004, 02:10 PM
FormerVendor

Some people have questioned the price/value of a Yank converter. I can tell you from personal experience, (well over a hundred and fifty dyno runs on Yank's car) the amount of time, effort and money they have spent in r&d and improving their converters. I cannot even remember the number of converters we installed for testing purposes. We not only installed their converters, but several of their competitors converters as well. All tests were run the same, down to the temperature in the diff, trans & engine. We left no room for errors. If they didn't like how something reacted, I would ship it back, they would rebuild it and then I would test it again. I know how much time, effort and money was involved. Trust me, these converters are a bargain. I don't know of any converter company that has put this much into their LS1 program. Thought I would just add a little known fact to this thread. Keep up the good work Dave.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Joe Vinci
Some people have questioned the price/value of a Yank converter. I can tell you from personal experience, (well over a hundred and fifty dyno runs on Yank's car) the amount of time, effort and money they have spent in r&d and improving their converters. I cannot even remember the number of converters we installed for testing purposes. We not only installed their converters, but several of their competitors converters as well. All tests were run the same, down to the temperature in the diff, trans & engine. We left no room for errors. If they didn't like how something reacted, I would ship it back, they would rebuild it and then I would test it again. I know how much time, effort and money was involved. Trust me, these converters are a bargain. I don't know of any converter company that has put this much into their LS1 program. Thought I would just add a little known fact to this thread. Keep up the good work Dave.
They are still over priced IMO. If they were selling converters for $750 or so then I might buy into the arguement of quality vs value. But as long as they sell converters for $900+ they will lose ALOT of business to companies like TCI and Midwest. You need to remember that these "other" companies also have good reputations here at LS1TECH. It's not like it's buy a Yank or your screwed. Many people here have raved about TCI, Midwest and PI. I myself just bought a TCI SSF3500 based on this boards overwhelming endorsement of both the company and that torque converters proven track record for gains and reliability.

If and when I build an all out trailer queen drag car then I will absolutely consider a Yank because of all the good things I hear about the PT series. Other then that I can not see spending that kind of cash when other high quality verters can be found for almost half the price. I know people who support Yank love to say "you get what you pay for". But I have always been more fond of another saying "A fool and his money are soon parted". Or is it "A fool and his money soon go seperate ways"? I think I have heard it both ways. Anyway I think you get the point I am trying to make.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Good to here Mike has the help he's needed for a couple years!

This "fool" is still more than happy with his TP-4200 equipted, daily driven, 10 second street car.

Quick Reply: Hello From Dave At Yank