Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello From Dave At Yank

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 06:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
Good to here Mike has the help he's needed for a couple years!

This "fool" is still more than happy with his TP-4200 equipted, daily driven, 10 second street car.
Dear lord, isn't a 4200 stall a bit loose for street driving? That's pretty impressive to have an auto that fast that still drives itself to the track. Nice setup.

For a 10 second car I would probably go with a top of the line yank as well. Just not for a 12 second car.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:11 AM
10 Second Club

Im waiting to see what the deal is on my PT4200. I saved my money and finally got it and it was way loose and had a shift extension of 6100. Ive sent it back to Dave and Iam waiting to see how he handles it. He's been top notch so far. I put in a friends funky clutch ST3500 and ran 11.29@120 so with a good PT4200 tens are in the bag for sure. I know Yank builds a superior product, it been proven. Im just ready for mine.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thumbs up

Dave:

Welcome to the Board! I'm glad that Mike has some help and get things back on track. Mike knows how to design and make great converters. Nobody else has come close to the R&D effort for the LS1 that Mike has done (although TCI is making a good run at it). If he can focus on that, with professional management to improve customer service and production capacity, I see a return to Yank's glory days.

Everybody wants a cheaper price. Stay focused on design, quality, and service and price won't be an issue in a few months.

I'm glad to see that Yank is out of the tranny business. Mine has been great; going on 3 years now with nothing more than fluid changes. But I saw a lot of people who had problems (frequently self-inflicted, but not always) and a tranny is a hard to warranty when it is not local.

I'd follow through and stay active here. Kevin Winstead is on here frequently helping his customers with questions and sometimes arranging warranty service. It has helped TCI develop a good reputation here and I suggest that it would help Yank as well.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:59 PM
11 Second Club

Dave,
Nice to hear from you. Yank is an amazing TC. I gained almost a full second with my SS4200, it went from 12.97 to 12.06, 1.98 60 ft to 1.58 on nittos! With some other mods and ET streets i ran 11.99 with 1.56 60 ft, stock internal! The 4200 is fine on the street, just feels a little different than stock at part throttle. WOT is another story! I drive my kid to school and then to work nd home (70 miles round trip) almost everyday with this car. I can drive it 100 miles to the track and run low 12's all day long and then drive it home.

I'm not down there with Wilwaxu yet, but the car is still 60 footing like crazy and I credit almost all of that to Yank. BMR and QA1 gets my other nod!

Ed

Last edited by black02-z28; 11-07-2004 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:48 PM
TECH Regular

Default Ps

when is the Pro street or pro stock converter coming out ?
Simple, this is my second request.
What will it be like .
Will you compare it on the dyno shop sheets
We want something special, like a ypt with the launch and drivibilty of the ss
Old 11-11-2004, 05:31 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Blktie8
when is the Pro street or pro stock converter coming out ?
Simple, this is my second request.
What will it be like .
Will you compare it on the dyno shop sheets
We want something special, like a ypt with the launch and drivibilty of the ss
We had these converters out sometime ago and there was not a good response to them so they are no longer made.
We will have new models out next month on our new website when it is done i will be putting a post on here about it.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have another question about the dyno shop sheets.
Seems the comparos, Yank vs Brand X, are pretty
dated. Any chance you'll be adding some of the later
competition to the set? Like, since I have a TCI
SF 3000/2.2 I would be wanting to make my selection
from the ones that would represent an efficiency upside,
relative to what's already in the car. Though next time
with probably a higher stall and lower STR (but probably
not quite so low as the SY3500). But, I want to see
efficiency across my driving band, not just a number
(as the basis for the number is pretty obscure and
no telling what, vendor-vendor).

If you had more "dyno races" between similarly-rateds
(like say your 3500-range ones up against TCI 3500/2.5,
Midwest 3400/2.2, Vigilante 3200, etc., similarly for the
3800-4000 range and so on) that would be a most useful
decision resource. I'm sure that given the broad line you
have, that one of your converters would shine on any of
the bases of comparison (efficiency, RWT/RPM profile,
peak torque or whatever) people like to use. Is Yank
still doing the dyno testing regularly? Because I haven't
seen any of, for example, the SS series turn up on the
dyno pages.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DAVE AT YANK.
We had these converters out sometime ago and there was not a good response to them so they are no longer made.
We will have new models out next month on our new website when it is done i will be putting a post on here about it.
Thanks Dave
Old 11-12-2004, 10:25 AM
TECH Veteran

I've had the YPT4400 in my car for over a year now with NO issues what so ever. The car ran great Stock Internal and now even better with the addition of the H/C. This is THE best mod I have ever done on the car.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jimmy:

The Yank test mule used to create those graphs has been long since sold. You would be using a different car and probably a different dyno since Yank has moved to Nevada. When that was done, a lot of effort went into trying to control for variables that would muck up the results.
Old 11-13-2004, 06:56 AM
jfm
10 Second Club

Welcome Dave.Give Mike a hello from me[JFM in NY].
Good to hear Mike will have time for R&D and answer customer questions.
BTW-I have run Yanks from day one,3500,4000 and now the PT4400,never had an issue and always performed better than expected.Car just went a new best 10.66/125 with 1.40 to 1.42 60's.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:15 AM
TECH Regular

Default Best Converter First

Dave - Mike
We are building a 4l80 with 434 cubes and 550 rwhp 7000 rpm
I am wondering why you would recommend a converter with less than a 4000
Stall ?
The car is now a six speed and launches at 5000
The car is a drag car and is streetable
91 corvette with a 9in ford rear this winter.
I am still in the Yank Camp but for the thousands for an upgrade,I would like a bigger correct converter the first time.
I am the only sponsor my son has.
I understand good business sense, but we are your customers.

Last edited by Blktie8; 11-13-2004 at 07:21 AM.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:38 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jfm
Welcome Dave.Give Mike a hello from me[JFM in NY].
Good to hear Mike will have time for R&D and answer customer questions.
BTW-I have run Yanks from day one,3500,4000 and now the PT4400,never had an issue and always performed better than expected.Car just went a new best 10.66/125 with 1.40 to 1.42 60's.
I believe you could have had a Darton block for what we spend in converter upgrades
Old 11-13-2004, 08:25 AM
Teching In

Default 4L80E Revisited

Originally Posted by Blktie8
Dave - Mike
We are building a 4l80 with 434 cubes and 550 rwhp 7000 rpm
I am wondering why you would recommend a converter with less than a 4000
Stall ?
The car is now a six speed and launches at 5000
The car is a drag car and is streetable
91 corvette with a 9in ford rear this winter.
I am still in the Yank Camp but for the thousands for an upgrade,I would like a bigger correct converter the first time.
I am the only sponsor my son has.
I understand good business sense, but we are your customers.

Mike:
I spoke with you on Thursday regarding the above remarks.

Nine hundred bucks with your 10% discount and a one time chance of getting the flash point perfect along with the right torque ratio is high risk. I am not a Transmission expert, but I am an engine expert and with this much risk, I would expect some detailed conversation of what my combination is. It should take more than our last 4 min conversation at the least, before throwing 10 Franklin's at Yank and have it be a disappointment. You know some of the other Torque Converter suppliers, offer a one time rebuild, is Yank willing to offer this? This would minimize the customer risk by 50% on a product that is low volume. If this was a H&C LS1 F-body, a 4 min conversation may be enough because I'm sure Yank's Core business is in-line with what the market is. I will buying a converter in the next 2 weeks, just after when I get the detailed information I need.

Thanks
John
Old 11-14-2004, 12:28 AM
Launching!

Welcome Dave.

It is encouraging to see you post here. I have been reading this forum since it started and LS1.com before that. Yank has a very good reputation for its converters - however it has the WORST reputation for customer service of ANY vendor that advertises on these sites. I am not kidding... I can't think of really any sponsors of this site that have a bad reputation for customer service - except YANK! Sure you see other vendors that have a few problems with unsatisfied customers, but Yank stands head and shoulders above the rest as far as horrible customer service is concerned!!!

There are many vendors that have an excellent reputation for quality and customer service. Just to pick one - MTI. I haven't bought anything from MTI or Yank. Both have a reputation for very good parts albeit more expensive than some of their competitors. The difference being if I bought something from MTI even paying a premium over what some of their competitors might offer I have no doubt they would take care of me as a customer and make it right if I had a problem. With Yank - just the opposite, I would have no doubt that I would be screwed

Again, I haven't bought anything from Yank or MTI, yet that is may very strong impression of what I can expect.

You have an opportunity to change this, and I encourage you to read these forums and post when you can.

This is not just my opinion - do a search and you will find many, many people that agree with me.

Just having anyone from Yank posting on here is a huge improvement, and it sounds like you sincerely want to improve things.

I wish you good luck.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:21 AM
11 Second Club

I know I'm probably just a lucky, old bastard, but I'm on my fourth Yank converter now and never had a moment's trouble from any of them. I know from reading many posts over the years that Yank has had serious warranty policy issues, but I fortunately never had to deal with them.

I started with a Yank TT2800/3.0 in my then new 1999 Camaro SS and later swapped in a Yank ST3500/2.5. When I bought my Corvette, one of the first mods I did was install a Yank C5 Stealth 3000/1.9 and just this past Thursday we replaced it with a Yank SY3500. This new converter and the past ones always worked and performed up to my expectations.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:34 PM
Teching In

Bump for Yank's new website!
Old 01-05-2005, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OK maybe someone on here can answer this for me??

I bought a Yank 3000 stall converter for my 2004 Colorado daily driver, after intially recieving the wrong converter to fit my application, i emailed Dave about it, sent a call tag for it, problems solved. This was after totally removing the tranny, transfer case and stock converter to find out it was incorrect for my truck...

So 2 weeks later i get the right converter, fill it with a quart install it, buttoned it all and tested it... well the first thing i noticed was how hard it now locks into gear from drive to reverse etc... Then i noticed it sucks the RPMS down to 400 RPMS once in gear, only used to drop to 600 before... Took it out for a drive and got into the throttle a bit and was like damn this thing bangs 2nd gear hard!!! it never shifted hard before! It was shifting so hard at WOT it was bouncing of the torque managment!!!!! So i proceded to test the brake torque affect on the converter at the next stop sign... It wouldnt clmb over 1200 rpms at half throttle, wont go over 1500 at WOT at a stop. The stock converter i could flash as high as 2500 rpms if i was really on the brakes. Now when i mat it from a stop after brake torquing it slowly rolls out and slowly build speed and RPM through 1st gear like it had 2.73"s gears or something.

So i got ahold of Dave and he had me try somethings, starting with testing to see if the TC was inadvertantly locking up, i dropped the pan, removed the filter, and a solenoid on the front of the valve body that was in the way, then removed the two 10 mm bolts that hold the TC lock up solenoid in and removed the solenoid, it was the big long plunger style solenoid. I took a screw driver and pushed up on the TC lockup piston, it moved free and was spring loaded. Buttoned it all back up with the solenoid resting in the pan, tested it, no change what so ever. So i split the tranny from the motor again, slid it back a foot and slid the converter forward and looked in the access port in the bottom of the bell housing with a flash light and teh pump seal was bone dry. Slid the converter back on making sure it made the two clunks and slid in , bolted it all back up, adjusted the space between the mounting feet and the felxplate ( 1/4" ) adj to 1/16" with some washers, buttoned it back up, checking all wiring for pinches (none) no change what so ever.

What do you guys think? im very certain something is wrong with this converter its self that its a much lower stall speed than stock. It almost has to be... The tranny functions completley normal except it just stalls too low. its NOT starting in 2nd gear nor is the torque mangment intervieving, i know that that feels like from the 1-2 shift. Nor have any of this triggerd any SES light either. This thing is about half as slow as stock right now, it drops to about 3300 after a shift at 6100 now instead of 3600 stock and 1st gear seems really labored and not as free to rev as before...

Opinions of the issue at hand welcome!

Last edited by BADDLS1SS; 01-05-2005 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:14 PM
FormerVendor

The reason that your rpms drop so much and your transmission shifts so much harder is that you now have a much tighter converter than you did before. It sounds like a 1500 stall speed converter instead of the 3000 that you were looking for.
Kevin
Old 01-05-2005, 04:07 PM
FormerVendor

Tom i was just following up per our phone conversation yesterday. I spoke to a few GM transmission techs today and they all said that the transmission sounds like it has gone into fail safe mode. The scanner you have will not pick up the codes on your 04 Colorado. You need to have someone scan it with a Tech II scanner or a Mastertech By Vtronics. They also found it odd that you said the truck shifts first gear at 50mph and that second gear is at 90mph. You have My mobile number if you need to reach me at home later today.

Quick Reply: Hello From Dave At Yank