Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift Solenoid B stuck? Is my tranny about to go out again? Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shift Solenoid B stuck? Is my tranny about to go out again? Help

I've blown my tranny twice. The first time my Vig3200 shreded apart while I was drivin normal, nothin crazy, so I had the whole tranny rebuilt at Century Transmission which is supposed to be one of the best. A year later, somethin went out again and I couldn't use any forward gears, just reverse. That happened about 3 months ago. The other day I had a pt4400 installed in my car at HPE and it was a used converter so they took it and had it cut and cleaned to make sure nothin was in it. For three days the car ran awesome but last night I was drivin home from the movies and my SES light came on so I pulled over and it wouldn't drop to first gear. If it was, it was slippin bad cuz I was usin alot of RPMs to get around. I looked up the code and it said Shift Solenoid B stuck so I cleared out the code and took off and it felt alright after that. I just got this converter so I'm not used to it yet so I'm not sure if it's slipping or thats just how loose it is. It feels alright. I drove it hard today and it kinda would stop on a certain rpm, then jump up and shift but normal was fine. I got home from that and checked the tranny fluid and it was a tiny bit low so I added some, I hope it was just low on fluid but I'm guessin it's probably about to die on me. Could the shift kit I had installed a while back have anything to do with it? Maybe it shifts way too hard? I dunno what to do now, I don't really like the idea too much of a T350 cuz I drive on the highway alot. If this really is the 3rd time I've blown a tranny just drivin around normal, I think i'm just gonna put it back to stock and sell the car. I'm gonna call HPE later and see if they can check it out this weekend or somethin I guess cuz the car keeps breakin again everytime i go to Century. This sucks so bad
-Chris
Old 11-15-2004, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

ttt!!
Old 11-15-2004, 08:23 PM
12 Second Club

I have the same problem in my '01 SS. Started happening right after I installed my 3200 Vig. I have since purchased new solenoids but have yet to install them. Somebody told me that the solenoids get hot and basically just stop working untill you shut the car off and let them cool down a minute or two. I have found that driving around town in "drive" keeps this from reoccurring and only using "overdrive" on the highway. Hopefully when I put the new solenoids in it will help. A friend told me that he put new solenoids in 2 years ago and has never had a problem since.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

does anyone know if the fact that my converter locks up hard in 3rd for a split second, then unlocks and shifts to fourth and then locks again has anything to do with my tranny always dieing?
Old 11-15-2004, 09:43 PM
12 Second Club

Mine seemed to always throw the SES light and start acting up when I was in stop and go traffic. It seems like the constant upshifting and downshifting was causing it.