Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny cooler .. really necessary ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 03:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, did not mean to hijack the thread. And yes the stock trans cooler is an external type cooler. Trust me, I checked. Just curious cause I know that several of the truck guys are running another B&M Cooler along with the stock unit, seems like it might be overkill to me, but I guess you can't be too carefull.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SierraCrew
Sorry, did not mean to hijack the thread. And yes the stock trans cooler is an external type cooler. Trust me, I checked. Just curious cause I know that several of the truck guys are running another B&M Cooler along with the stock unit, seems like it might be overkill to me, but I guess you can't be too carefull.
Exactly. Better to overcool the transmission than the other way around. That's why I'd fall back on buying a cooler as the default advice if someone is unsure. This seems especially true considering the added weight of a truck over a car.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
Could it be because I ran it so hard around town? I had driven it hard for about an hour or more to see how hot it would get. If it's this hot in 80 degree weather, it's gonna' be boiling when 100 degree temps get here, this summer. I've been reading that the normal operating temp is about 180-220.
do you have the cooler hooked up on the preasure, or return line of the trans?(is it before or after the radiator?) this will make a differance in how well it cools.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well, I followed the instructions to the letter. It showed the return line going to the top fitting on the radiator. I ran a line from there to the inlet of the B&M cooler and connected a line from the B&M cooler outlet to the open line going back to the transmission.

The instructions said the return line is the fitting on top for the L480E. I have, of course, a L460E and I assume the transmission return line goes to the top fitting on my a L460E car's radiator, as well. If this is correct, then, it's hooked up right.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Correct, out the top to the cooler, from the cooler to the trans return line
Old 01-04-2005, 05:39 AM
TECH Addict

... guage ... LOL!

Thanks for clarifying the hookup SmokingWS6. How hot is your 19K Supercooler to the touch? Mine will burn your finger if you leave it on there over 1/2 second. I heated a pot of water to 200 degrees (yeah call me crazy) it felt about the same. So, after running it really hard for about an hour in 80 degree weather, I would say it is running about 190-200 degrees ... whatcha' think?

... anyone? ...with guages, especially ...
Old 01-04-2005, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
... guage ... LOL!

Thanks for clarifying the hookup SmokingWS6. How hot is your 19K Supercooler to the touch? Mine will burn your finger if you leave it on there over 1/2 second. I heated a pot of water to 200 degrees (yeah call me crazy) it felt about the same. So, after running it really hard for about an hour in 80 degree weather, I would say it is running about 190-200 degrees ... whatcha' think?

... anyone? ...with guages, especially ...

That's an intresting way of checking it. I'll have to touch it after I run some errands today. Its in the 30's here so I doubt it'll be very warm

Quick Reply: Tranny cooler .. really necessary ???