Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive vs D3?

Old 02-23-2005, 03:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive vs D3?

Hey,

I was wondering how exactly drive is different than d3 on my automatic (stock). All I currently know is that drive is basically third with o/d. Is it safe to drive around in third? Will it cause extra wear on the transmission? I know that when these cars are dynoed they are usually done in third correct? So my thinking was that if it can be dyoned in third, then it should be fine to drive around in third I drove the car today in d3 instead of drive and it felt a whole lot better. And the only downside I currently see is reduced gas mileage, but I don't really care about that. I am kinda a newb to transmission stuff, so thank you for all the help.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm kind of new as well, but I looked at several posts and a lot of guys do this. It keeps the tranny from jumping around at slower speeds and from what I read, it doesn't hurt anything. I've been doing it for a while now and haven't noticed anything bad. After 40-45 MPH, I just pop it into D. Works for me. It will be interesting to see what some of the informed people say.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
I'm kind of new as well, but I looked at several posts and a lot of guys do this. It keeps the tranny from jumping around at slower speeds and from what I read, it doesn't hurt anything. I've been doing it for a while now and haven't noticed anything bad. After 40-45 MPH, I just pop it into D. Works for me. It will be interesting to see what some of the informed people say.
Exactly

Also, does this affect the part-throttle shift tables at all? I assume it would have no effect on the WOT tables.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:16 PM
TECH Regular

You'l notice very little between D and D3.It prolly feels better to you due to the fact the converter locks sooner in D3.All of my driving starts out in D3,then I just pop it up into D at higher speeds,say 50mph up,but my daily driver has a 4400 stall.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:17 PM
11 Second Club

I'm not sure what you mean about the part throttle shift tables, but my car shifts the same regardless of whether it is in 3 or D.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

putting it in D or OD has no effect on shifts, or lock up other than the obvious fact that it stays in 3rd untill you put it OD. However, you should always race in D, due to the fact it turns on the over run clutch pack, which will help your forward sprag last.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lt1dave
However, you should always race in D, due to the fact it turns on the over run clutch pack, which will help your forward sprag last.
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean here? And thanks for all the advice so far.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

I don't think leaving it in "3" has any effect on the part or WOT shift tables. If it does I have never heard of it and I can't tell a difference. Keeping the car in 3rd will give you a better pedal feel because the car is not going into OD so the high revs will make it feel more responsive to throttle input. It wont hurt anything except for the motor will be turning more revs and over long periods of time in theory it could lead to more engine wear. Nothing wrong with leaving it in 3rd but if you're cuising on the highway at a steady speed pop it up into overdrive. No reason to turn more revs then you have to if you're not going to be rolling in and out of the throttle.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:51 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by IMKMFAST
You'l notice very little between D and D3.It prolly feels better to you due to the fact the converter locks sooner in D3.All of my driving starts out in D3,then I just pop it up into D at higher speeds,say 50mph up,but my daily driver has a 4400 stall.
Sounds exactly like how I drive my car (with a 4200 stall..) I keep her in D until I'm over ~50mph.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01TAFlyer
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean here? And thanks for all the advice so far.
Im refering to the way the trns operates internally. Without a good working knowledge of a 4l60, its hard to explain. But in short, a forward sprag works like a ratchet wrnch. It holds one way (moving forward) and releases when presssure hits the other(car coasts).) However there are a set of clutches that hold around it to kep it from letting go in coast(this is why when your in lower manual gears yo will get engine braking). This set of clutches will also help your sprag last longer due to the obvious increase in holding power.
hope I cleared it up
Old 02-24-2005, 02:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lt1dave
Im refering to the way the trns operates internally. Without a good working knowledge of a 4l60, its hard to explain. But in short, a forward sprag works like a ratchet wrnch. It holds one way (moving forward) and releases when presssure hits the other(car coasts).) However there are a set of clutches that hold around it to kep it from letting go in coast(this is why when your in lower manual gears yo will get engine braking). This set of clutches will also help your sprag last longer due to the obvious increase in holding power.
hope I cleared it up
Yes that explains things. Thanks.

Search this Thread