Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

p1870 code and now limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default p1870 code and now limp mode

So my tranny (01 WS6) threw a p1870 code and now it is limp mode. It just started acting weird a couple days ago when I drove it from Chicago to STL. From what I've searched, the vavle body likely needs to be replaced/fixed. I have a stage 3 transgo in now. The tranny was recently rebuilt but the valve body was not replaced (it was "fixed" though). Any ideas as to why this occured? It's under warranty, but I dont like my trans taking a dump on me.

Speed Inc tuned the car for the converter and the converter and trans lasted about 6 month before having to be replaced and restalled (no track passes). The Speed Inc programming has not been removed yet (idk what they did-if they screwed something up or not. They just told me that the stock trans is weak and fails with TCs-they were no help).
Old 03-16-2005, 08:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you try clearing the code and seeing if the tranny returns to normal?

How do the fluid and filter look? If any of the clutches are falling apart that will put a lot of crap in the fluid and clog up things.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

So I took the positive off the battery overnight and then started it up (started and died twice, then started up and the engine was OK). No SES light BUT the car wouldn't even shift into 2nd normally (it might have at high rpm but I didn't want to mess with it anymore)-also wouldnt shift into 2nd from putting the shifter into first, then into 2nd. The dipstick had black residue on it the first time I wiped it off, but the fluid itself looked fine and does not smell burnt. My tranny guy is coming to look at it Sat morning-he thinks that it's either the valve body or POSSIBLY that he got a bad clutch in the rebuild kit (he said it happened before with a 3-4 clutch pack-a bad batch came from the factory). I'll be able to tell more Saturday.

I really hope that it's just the vavle body, but I have a feeling that the whole thing's getting rebuilt again
Old 03-19-2005, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

Car has no 4th gear. It tries to go into 4th but won't go into gear. It's either the 2-4 band or the 3-4 clutch so the thing is getting rebuilt again (after about 1000 miles and EASY driving). Any ideas on how this went bad so fast? The fluid level is fine and it doesn't look like the cooler is clogged or aline is pinched. The only thing I've been told is that it was likely a bad part.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdavis93
Car has no 4th gear. It tries to go into 4th but won't go into gear. It's either the 2-4 band or the 3-4 clutch so the thing is getting rebuilt again (after about 1000 miles and EASY driving). Any ideas on how this went bad so fast? The fluid level is fine and it doesn't look like the cooler is clogged or aline is pinched. The only thing I've been told is that it was likely a bad part.
if im not mistaken, if it was the 3-4 pack, you wouldn't have third either. best ofluck with the rebuild, sorry to hear about it, that's some crap luck.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

My 3-4 clutch pack went out (with several other things) before when it first got rebuilt and I had 1st and 3rd.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

The problem is:

"The converter let loose and all the clutch
material has every solenoid and small fluid orifice plugged up."

So I guess that the clutches in the converter broke and plugged up the pump and the solenoid. This also made the valve body hang, which is why I was getting the P1870 code. So the converter has to go back to PI this week and HOPEFULLY they will honor the warranty on the converter. The rest of the tranny just has to be cleaned out, not rebuilt.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdavis93
My 3-4 clutch pack went out (with several other things) before when it first got rebuilt and I had 1st and 3rd.

sounds like a 2-4 band to me.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DeepBlueZ
sounds like a 2-4 band to me.
Yeah that also went out. IDK why those 2 things failed together after 6 months ...

Quick Reply: p1870 code and now limp mode