Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80 swap guys, what year trans did you use?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 07:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 4L80 swap guys, what year trans did you use?

I was just wondering if anyone who's successfully swapped in a 4L80 could tell me what year of tranny to start looking for. I remember hearing something about not using the trannies with (parking brake or something) in the rear of the housing...But I can't remember specifically.

I don't see the torque arm, drive shaft, or crossmember to be an issue any more. Now it's just clearancing, a new TC, and a tranny controller.

All advise is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:36 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The parking brake on the rear can be removed along with the tail housing and a regular tailhousing put in it's place. I did this with a trans that used a bolt on yoke, the yoke stuck out about 3/4" longer than a trans with no brake.
I don't think the output shaft on one of those would work with a slip yoke.
In fact if you take a bolt on yoke off you need to use a th400 style slip yoke, the one that has splines a few inches down from the end of the yoke.
If you find a 4L80E with a slip yoke you can use any slip yoke, even the ones with the splines up to the end.

I wouldn't use a trans older than '94, it would be best to find a '97 and up.
The '97 and up 4L80E's are easily ID'ed by the snap in cooler lines. This was a big improvement in the lube circuit and center support.
newer than '99 have a other few improvements here and there.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:29 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks a bunch, I appreciate it

Did you do this swap into an F-body, or have you just seen this question a bunch of times?

Do you know where I could view pics of the snap in lines versus the older housings lines?
Old 03-23-2005, 09:58 PM
Banned

Did you do this swap into an F-body, or have you just seen this question a bunch of times?
I didn't do the swap into an f-body. I did do the swap into a 1992 silverado dually and used a 1998 trans.

I am considering doing the swap into my 11 second '75 nova.

I also have a spare 1995 4L80E made for a slip yoke only so I've looked at the two types of output shafts and housings quite a bit. I think there are three ouput shaft types and two output housings.

Do you know where I could view pics of the snap in lines versus the older housings lines?
Not right now but I may be able to put up some pics.

This is the best I could come up with, this is a trans with the older style fittings, they are a brass color.

Here is a picture of the newer snap in cooler lines BUT this picture has a special line set on it to adapt it to the older style line locations.
Look at the brass fitting right above the dipstick hole, the front cooler line is just above that to the left, the rear cooler line has part of the adapter in it.
Sorry these pictures suck, and my explaination probably does too.

Last edited by jxaxsxoxn; 03-23-2005 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get on www.pro-touring.com MyClone knows pretty much every thing about the 80e.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am doing the swap now and used a 2001 80e with the side metal shaved off the bell housing and some 90 degree fittings for the cooler lines. The 01+ 80's came with some updated parts. I put it in last night and fit without having to clearance.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:09 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jxaxsxoxn
This is the best I could come up with, this is a trans with the older style fittings, they are a brass color.

Here is a picture of the newer snap in cooler lines BUT this picture has a special line set on it to adapt it to the older style line locations.
Look at the brass fitting right above the dipstick hole, the front cooler line is just above that to the left, the rear cooler line has part of the adapter in it.
Sorry these pictures suck, and my explaination probably does too.

Thanks for the pictures, they helped quite a bit and so did the explanation

Originally Posted by strokedls1
I am doing the swap now and used a 2001 80e with the side metal shaved off the bell housing and some 90 degree fittings for the cooler lines. The 01+ 80's came with some updated parts. I put it in last night and fit without having to clearance.
So I take it you had to customize the factory cooler lines (not that that's a really big deal..). I'm glad it went in without clearancing, that's good news! What crossmember are you using? Any wiring or linkage issues yet? Any clearance problems with your exhaust system? Where did you have your 80e assembled, with what options? What's the rated input torque for it now? I was a little disappointed to search and find a factory 80e input torque rating to be only 440lb/ft.
I'm hoping to have 450 rwtq (that's thru the 4L80 mind you) on motor and another 200 on standby (via bottle feeding) next year. By a quick calculator run (25% drivetrain loss), that's a little over 850 fwtq. Now factor in roughly a 2.5 STR torque converter, and you can see my hesitation.... That would literally be over a ton of input torque LOL
Old 03-24-2005, 01:19 AM
11 Second Club

Oops, strike part of that. I just found the rated engine torque is 440 lb/ft. The gearbox torque is rated at 885 lb/ft bone stock. I can probably have one put together fairly reasonably that would handle what I'm looking for. Now, all I gotta do is make it fit and work
Old 03-24-2005, 01:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I bought a brace from yank that just needs a notch grinded to work with my tranny. I bought a wire conversion kit from speartech, and waiting to hear from ken at ls1edit to see if he can make me a custom tune for my car. Basically fbody tuning with 4L80e software. Wiring is really easy if that will work. The tranny is about the same outer dimensions as the 60 so exhaust should fit fine. I am going to cut the cooler lines right before the trans and run rubber line into the 90 degree fittings on the trans. I bought the trans from a buddy of mine so I don't know all the specifics, but basically it has a shift kit, clutches, and some other stuff. The whole thing was cryoed and can handle over 1k torque. Hell I had over 600 rwhp on the 4L60 before having problems. Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails 4L80 swap guys, what year trans did you use?-60-versus-80-view.jpg   4L80 swap guys, what year trans did you use?-brace-notch-1.jpg   4L80 swap guys, what year trans did you use?-side-view.jpg  
Old 03-26-2005, 11:00 AM
FormerVendor

I provided strokedls1 trans. It was built off an 01-02 core in great shape. It has Red Alto clutches and steels, TransGo HD2 shift kit, everything metal in the trans was cryo treated, extra clutches were installed with custom machine work. The pump was customized and the whole trans was blueprinted. Should handle right about 1K of torque. I do have another one on the shelf ready to go in the same configuration if anyone is insterested. PM me and we'll talk. I also have a Yank PY3400E convertor and many other swap parts, TCI trans computer/harness, billet slip yoke, cryo treated crank spacer, only thing I don't have is the cross member. Dave indacalinc@sbcglobal.net
Old 03-28-2005, 02:14 AM
10 Second Club

What do the 80e's go for? (on average) My 3-4 shifting is screwing up (clunking into gear), so the tranny will need to be rebuilt or get the 80e. So, to rebuild the 60e?? Or get an 80e?
Old 03-28-2005, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I paid a little over 2K for an 80e from 427 LS1 that was fully built with no core.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by waterbug1999
What do the 80e's go for? (on average) My 3-4 shifting is screwing up (clunking into gear), so the tranny will need to be rebuilt or get the 80e. So, to rebuild the 60e?? Or get an 80e?
I was looking for one to rebuild. In my area 18 months ago they were going for $500 for a guaranteed rebuildable core and $400 down for something with a cracked case or not guaranteed.
Built stock is at least $2000 for a cheap one with no converter.

To keep within the subject of this thread, I found no one sells the early, pre '92 4L80E's because they were so bad. In fact I found the shop that had the '92 trans that came out of my truck, it self destructed, there were very few usable parts left in it.