Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strongest 4L60E

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 03:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like I said earlier "They are saying it's not too bad so long as you land in first gear." WOT kickdown to second gear is the worse. Oh yeah, definately don't let it shift into overdrive at WOT, that is really hard on it.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

blkz28spt - what have you done to make it ok from 35? I'd also like to know what it is that makes it better to physically down shift as opposed to letting the transmission do it? Is it because that way you are sure to hit first? Thanks for the input guys this is what I needed!!!
Old 04-28-2005, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

ok, no kickdown into 2nd gear, i suppose its because if teh 2-4 band and that 2nd doesnt have any clutches...

also, no wot into od? how Im abit confused because its fourth gear an overdrve gear? So no wot in foruth gear or when it drops down into od in foruth gear. WHich in anycase if you wot in fourth, od, it will drop to third....

clarification is in order for a 25 year old dumbie!!!!!! (me)
Old 04-28-2005, 04:03 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by obZidian
ok, no kickdown into 2nd gear, i suppose its because if teh 2-4 band and that 2nd doesnt have any clutches...

also, no wot into od? how Im abit confused because its fourth gear an overdrve gear? So no wot in foruth gear or when it drops down into od in foruth gear. WHich in anycase if you wot in fourth, od, it will drop to third....

clarification is in order for a 25 year old dumbie!!!!!! (me)
I'm with ya, 25 yrs old and this is new information to me! May have saved me a couple trannies knowing not to race on the interstate.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:04 PM
11 Second Club

Fourth gear is overdrive, and WOT at very high speed in OD is very hard on it. Mine didn't shift to OD until about 140 mph. I don't know if it'll actually do it as high as 35 mph, but it's something like that. I have shift points at 6500 rpm and limiter at 6800. I also have a converter, cam, and valvetrain upgraded. Since I can rev higher and go faster in every gear it will shift down at slightly higher speeds
Old 04-28-2005, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Downshift to first at 43 mph? That's insane! So you can coast at 43, slam the pedal down and hit first gear with 2.73's? How high does first go??

And actually with 3.23's it can be coaxed into first up to ~28 mph now that i thnk about it. Little mods change that though, lol. I can hit it at maybe 35 now.
I have hit around 55 mph in first gear. I just don't want to downshift any higher than 43 because of overpressurizing the system too quickly. It won't shift on its own at 43 but with a manual shift, it does just fine.

Like I said earlier "They are saying it's not too bad so long as you land in first gear." WOT kickdown to second gear is the worse. Oh yeah, definately don't let it shift into overdrive at WOT, that is really hard on it.
As far as not letting it shift into OD at WOT, does cruising at 170 mph on a long straight road put me into that category? I'm not sure if I was in OD or not. I was just worried about keeping the car straight. I did hit redline though so I think I was in OD. OOPS!!! Guess I'll have to watch it next time.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:14 PM
11 Second Club

Yes, I'm pretty sure that puts you into that category.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:24 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run a Rossler 4L60E in my heavy *** Camaro, runs 10's on radials....3.23 gears...LOT AND LOTS of kickdowns at 30 mph ON THE BOTTLE....tranny is perfect. Lots of hard miles on it, fluid is fine, etc.

If you want a 4 speed auto, you cannot beat Rossler...period. It will cost an arm and a leg and a good chunk of your ***....but it will perform and last.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SDB
I run a Rossler 4L60E in my heavy *** Camaro, runs 10's on radials....3.23 gears...LOT AND LOTS of kickdowns at 30 mph ON THE BOTTLE....tranny is perfect. Lots of hard miles on it, fluid is fine, etc.

If you want a 4 speed auto, you cannot beat Rossler...period. It will cost an arm and a leg and a good chunk of your ***....but it will perform and last.
They aren't a sponsor though. Search for them. If you can't afford an arm, leg, and chunk of your *** go to FLP or Speed inc (dr evil line)
Old 04-28-2005, 10:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I think I may just go with another M6. I have a M6 in my '95 Z28 and while it is fun, I also liked toying with the idea that I might be able to have the best of both worlds. Plus I got tired of losing races on missed shifts. I was originally under the impression that for enough cash I could get a 4L60e or 4L80e installed that would handle 600 rwhp or more in any gear and be fully automatic. Oh, and not break, regardless of upshifting or downshifting at "X" MPH. But since that seems to not be the case then I think I'll get one with the M6 and upgrade it instead. I'll just have to learn how to drive it well to win instead of just stabbing the throttle and steering it.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:02 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

so to clear this up, when you guys say dont downshift, you mean no WOT kickdowns. So if i want to race i should manually drop the trans into 2nd and then shift accordingly? is this right?
I started a thread on this but didn't really get a straight answer https://ls1tech.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1561196 ... I did get a PM from a tranny builder that gave this answer: "If you grab the lever to downshift the same time you give it throttle to "match" the engine to transmission speed, this will give you the best chance at keeping the transmission alive." So, on balance, it seems like opinion is more favorable to manually downshifting it and then nailing it rather than doing the WOT automatic downshift.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

Fourth gear is overdrive, and WOT at very high speed in OD is very hard on it. Mine didn't shift to OD until about 140 mph. I don't know if it'll actually do it as high as 35 mph, but it's something like that. I have shift points at 6500 rpm and limiter at 6800. I also have a converter, cam, and valvetrain upgraded. Since I can rev higher and go faster in every gear it will shift down at slightly higher speeds
r u kinding me?! i do this all the time when i get a chance, of course. How is this bad, technically. i would like to know more about that....

but, so you are telling me that my top end ends when my third also ends? dude, that sucks. I mean, i really dont get up that fast but i have raced a few times when ive taking it to 149-150+ in fourth gear. Is there a way around this or are we doomed to this "problem"

so to sum it up, no wot into first OR second. IF possible manual shift it to desired gear. Also, no fourth gear, od racing.

Im not questioning you but this doesnt seem right......
Old 04-28-2005, 11:07 PM
11 Second Club

I really don't think there is a problem with WOT to downshift into first gear. Where does htis keep coming from? For what I know the hardest things are WOT in overdrive or WOT downshifts from high speed rollls that land you in second. (or probably third as well, but that's not usually an issue)
Old 04-28-2005, 11:14 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Im not questioning you but this doesnt seem right......
It would be great if somebody who really knows this stuff would explain what happens to the internals in these situations and where the danger lies ...
Old 04-28-2005, 11:54 PM
TECH Addict

i couldnt say it better myself.

i really dont want to sound like i am discrediting the info, but this is driving me nuts....
Old 04-29-2005, 07:29 AM
Teching In

thats why you need a good programer that understands the tranny tables.If done right, trans will not do a downshift when its not supposed to.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:29 AM
11 Second Club

This is interesting....

I have 60,000 miles on my stock 4L60E and I downshift to 1st to race rarely, but I have done 2nd gear rolls from 45-60 since about 20,000 miles. I was stock until about 25,000 and then I started modding. I have about 35,000 miles of modded racing, and about 25,000 since I have had a converter and at least been running 12.5s and my tranny is great! I never run much over 110 in a race though since I am not as crazy as I used to be. Maybe I am just lucky or something, but I want to know a lot more about this since I am trying to make my tranny last another year to save up for an FLP IV.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:21 AM
B T
Launching!

I just read this post.

WTF?

I have been able to understand how to read and write english for a great many years now, although I'm not sure exactly what I just got through reading.

This is what I got out of it.
I shouldn't be doing a WOT downshift at 80 mph from OD ( while the shifter is in OD) and going into 2nd gear.

Geez, I do that ALL the time like it's no big deal and don't even give it a second thought.
Is that a big no no?

I knew these trannys are weak but come on.
Maybe someone could reexplain this for people like me. ( just call me "Forest")

Hell, I do WOT downshifts into second and third ALL the time just for the hell of it.

My poor trans. Oh, well.
I'm not about to start taking it easy on it now, I'm very Brutal on my trans when I drive.

Anyone have a technical answer for this?
Funny, my owners manual says nothing about this.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:10 AM
Sweet Cheeks

Originally Posted by SDB

Amen Brotha!
Old 04-30-2005, 07:03 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gmgearhead
thats why you need a good programer that understands the tranny tables.If done right, trans will not do a downshift when its not supposed to.

hey gmgearhead pm me a number i can get a hold of you at so i can talk to you about building me a transmission

Quick Reply: Strongest 4L60E