Sponsored by:

700rwhp with a 4l60e possible

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 07:27 AM
ESR
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ......uh

I want to know everything...........lol Jerry Im coming for ya...........got my money in my paypal account.................here comes my 4l60e...........now lets see if I can catch that 10.17 time slip of yours

Originally Posted by cablebandit
what exactly do you want to know?
Old 06-03-2005, 10:24 AM
Banned

Default Thaks for the kind words

Thanks Jerry, and to all that have praised our work. I'd like to try and answer some of the hard hitting issues that have been raised.
We have found that these trannys don't like high line pressure down in the lower gears, so having said that you gotta control the line pressure, take a line reading at Idle and snap to w.o.t. compare these reading... now if you've got high pressure and you are running electronic line rise it's a tuning issue. If your running vacume modulation its a low vacume issue...we've got a couple ways around that as well...but it takes some work on the valve body and modulator. These transmission are getting a bad rapp......because of computer operation....never see any of the manual shifting guys complaining...why is that? .....No computer....thats it.....Not the horsepower, not the shift kits, not the torque converters, Fliud,coolers or any of that..... Hope this helps....Dave
Old 06-03-2005, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nope...firm shift but definitely nothing anyone (including women) comment on.
If you look in the speedo section of hptuners/edit etc...you will see that transrevs/mile setting. I have got mine working right by adjusting that. I tried EVERYTHING before i started messing with that setting and then BOOM...shifts 2-3 everytime.The tranny and the instrument cluster are not working off the same speedo tables at WOT which is why you need to get the transrevs/mile setting right
This may be the problem, MPG vs RPMs how did you set yours? I've tried playing around with the setting here but I don't think I'm really improving anything. Now the tranny does feel a lot better since its been rebuilt and the vaccum modulator helps out greatly controling the line pressure but its still not perfect.

I also raised the "max slip" setting..its under tranny dtc section...I think stock is 800rpms.
I've looked at this but I really wasn't sure on which way to go up or down? I really don't want to screw anything up.

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 06-04-2005, 07:56 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i raised the max slip setting up trying to find the 2/3 wot shift problem. Turned out to be the "transrevs/mile" setting under the speedometer section. It was way off and the ghosted number to the right of that setting was nowhere close to the tire size indicated at the top of that table.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks man, I'll try it and see if it works.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:25 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i raised the max slip setting up trying to find the 2/3 wot shift problem. Turned out to be the "transrevs/mile" setting under the speedometer section. It was way off and the ghosted number to the right of that setting was nowhere close to the tire size indicated at the top of that table.
what did you raise the slip max to?
you say the transrev was way off. how do you know what it should be?
and what did you set yours to?
Old 06-05-2005, 11:23 AM
Banned

without the use of our 2.66 first gear ratio at that power level the car will usually go five feet in first gear and be on the rev limiter ,as well as put the engine below its power band on a 1/2 ratio change.the latter will usually not be a problem with a forced induction system but will pose serious intake manifold vaccuum issues and loss of booster signal strength at the carbuerator .
Old 06-05-2005, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chris718
without the use of our 2.66 first gear ratio at that power level the car will usually go five feet in first gear and be on the rev limiter ,as well as put the engine below its power band on a 1/2 ratio change.the latter will usually not be a problem with a forced induction system but will pose serious intake manifold vaccuum issues and loss of booster signal strength at the carbuerator .

Huh? Carbuerator?
Old 06-07-2005, 03:42 AM
Restricted User

Chris' quote, "but will pose serious intake manifold vaccuum issues and loss of booster signal strength at the carbuerator." The big drop off in rpm on the 1-2 shift, on the 4L60E/700R4, is almost indentical to a 1.82 1st gear Powerglide making the 1-2 shift. The wind & rolling resistance is much lower in the case of a 4L60E, & the Powerglide is shifting at a much higher speed with much more wind & rolling resistance. The PG trans should be the one having serious problems with signal strength at the carb, and they don't seem to have a problem from what I have seen, over the years. Thg big drop in rpm on the 4L60E has not been a problem when using the 9.5" torque converter, with 3,000 or more stall. Working with the 2nd gear accumulation (can help with this to a limited degree). True, closer ratios "can" be better, but in the real world I have not seen evidence of this in the majority of cases. Torque converters can do a lot in terms of working with the not so optimum transmission gear ratios in terms of the "so called" STR, etc. Rick Abare's 1996 TA has on of my units, with an official 987 1/4 mile passes on it (with 50-75 unofficial passes). The vehicle weighs apx. 3,400 pounds with driver, runs 10.20's - 10.40's at 128 - 132 mph, & 1.28 - 1.33 60 foot times, foot braking it. This is with the stock transmission gear ratios. I guess you can improve slightly on this, but at what cost, & what will you "really" see, in terms of ET & MPH in the 1/4 mile,

Last edited by Pro Built Automatics; 06-08-2005 at 02:12 AM.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:50 PM
Staging Lane

that sounds bad *** i wish i could afford one
Old 06-07-2005, 06:35 PM
Banned

although the loss of air velocity and its effects on booster signal caused by the disruption of atmospheric pressure filling the vaccuum at the throttle plates doesnt apply to a fuel injected ls1 it is a real life occurance.the problem with the 4l60 ratio is this :a normally aspirated engine(whether administered fuel via a carb or computer controlled injection system)will in most cases require 2000 to 2800 rpms after the stall speed is reached to accellerate the vehicle for maximum performance.the 4l60 with its specific planetary gear ratios and performance final drive ratios will exhibit a predictable general pattern of accelleration based on these factors.it will also produce a typical shift recovery rpm.this rpm is not optimum for maximum accelleration because of its point in the torque band .therefore in reality the gear ratio is not under no circumstances the perfect ratio for most performance applications.most have accepted this because of the design . I ON THE OTHER HAND HAVE NOT.for this reason i went one step futher to change the ratio to be be more user friendly for all applications.some may find this pattern of understanding difficult to understand or upsetting because they did not generate the product.that should be of no importance except to those who refuse to accept the improvement in performance gained when bringing the ratios in the automatic transmission closer together.using the converter to try to cover this up is a band aid placed on a wound we should call "lack of understanding".the loose converter only reduces the hydraulic coupling that drives the vehicle betwwen the crankshaft and turbine shaft using wasted horsepower to "heat the transmission oil" and further slow the vehicle down.motor screams like a lunatic but doesnt go anywhere.we have also developed an e4340 output shaft and input drum for the transmission.the shaft was released last year in transmission digest a transmission trade manual.the drum will be available this year as well as the olanets by themselve without purchasing the transmission.

Last edited by chris718; 06-07-2005 at 06:38 PM. Reason: mispeeled
Old 06-08-2005, 04:25 AM
Restricted User

"using the converter to try to cover this up is a band aid placed on a wound we should call "lack of understanding".the loose converter only reduces the hydraulic coupling that drives the vehicle betwwen the crankshaft and turbine shaft using wasted horsepower to "heat the transmission oil" and further slow the vehicle down.motor screams like a lunatic but doesnt go anywhere.
Even though I do not like Powerglides, tell those that are using them, that they "have a lack of understanding", and their vehicles don't go anywhere. I believe that MPH (with an unlocked torque converter) is an excellent indicator of how a torque converter is doing, and how well the engine was built. As far as me running loose torque converters intentionally, this will never happen. Closer gear rarios on these units are not unknown. Why don't you offer a "real world" comparsion with your 2.66 vs. 3.06 gear set in a already successful & known mid 10 - low 11 second vehicle, (maybe Rick Abare's 1996 TA) with the only change at the track (on the same day if possible) the transmission. I don't doubt that this will have an improvement, but from what I have seen over the years, some vehicles will benefit from this, others will not, & again at what cost for the "improvement". I have been around drag racing since 1966, and found that there are many exceptions, and not to many rules. You might even convince me to use this for certain applications. Let's see.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:58 PM
Banned

this information is not based on the powerglide ,rather the 4l60e.our customers are in the 6 second 200 mphour zone with our glides,but this is the appropriate transmission for a car with 2000 horsepower and 2400 lbs.every car above 500 horsepower and above 3200 lbs with minimal suspension mods and small tires especially has got a better short time,reduced wheelspin and a no less than a 2/10ths in the 1/4 .some cars reuced et by 4/10s and better.as soon as i get some free time im a going to go on a crusade to make the public aware of this product refinement as well as have factual information on hand to prove the point.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm another satisfied Rock-On customer, enough so that we put one in my son's car also. My Rock-On tranny is the first 4L60E I've had that does exactly what it's supposed to do, handle lots of power, shift properly, and live. Dave is doing some cutting edge stuff and developing proprietary parts for the 4L60E transmissions. He is way past just installing somebody elses parts. When I bought my Rock-On tranny I ordered a second tranny to be used as a back up unit. The unit in the car works so well I'm convinced I don't need a backup tranny so if anybody needs a new Rock-On tranny I have brand new one I'll sell at a discount.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:50 PM
Restricted User

That's good, I look forward to seeing this come about.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:02 AM
Banned

Default hey

Count me in !! I'm looking forward to it as well......Dave
Old 06-13-2005, 07:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i volunteer my car as a test mule for any 4 speed auto you can get under it. bring it on and ill buy it if i can't break it
Old 06-13-2005, 07:47 PM
Banned

WE HAVE AN AOD LS1 CONVERSION.USES THE SAME DRIVESHAFT AND CROSSMEMBER AND WILL HANDLE WELL OVER 700 HORSEPOWER.INSTALLATION BY US IS SUPER CLEAN.APRIL ISSUE OF TURBO AND HI PERFORMANCE MAGAZINE SHOWS IT BEHIND AN 87 T TYPE WITH 700 PLUS HP AT THE WHEELS.THERE IS SOME INFO ON THE HOME PAGE AT WWW.CKPERFORMANCE.COM.HEY MOUSE ,IF YOUR SERIOUS DRIVE IN FOR THE INSTALL AND DRIVE BACK.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

chris718 your link is jacked
Old 06-16-2005, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

its www.ckperformance.com

this is the same set up in a GN http://www.ckperformance.com/gmaodpic.html

chris i am waiting to hear back from you on my questions.. wont buy anything until i know everything i need to know.

Quick Reply: 700rwhp with a 4l60e possible