Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ping noise putting car into gear......did this problem get solved?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 03:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ping noise putting car into gear......did this problem get solved?

My Z28 is an A4 with GU5. I've noticed it's been making a really quick, not all that loud but still noticeable "ping" noise when I shift the car from park into reverse. The only other time it makes this noise is when I accelerate from a stop, but this doesn't always occur. I did an extensive search for any threads covering this issue...the one I could find was from about a year ago, but seems to cover the exact problem. It included this which was cut from an F-body FAQ....
Q: I have a 98 or 99 LS1 F-body with an automatic transmission, and each time I put my car into gear from park and each time I accelerate from a stop, there is a ping or tinking noise that sounds from underneath my car. Where is this coming from and how do I fix it?

A: This is a problem with the automatics that have an aluminum driveshaft. The aluminum driveshaft comes standard on the cars with the 3.23 (GU5) rear end. Although there is no TSB to fix this, if you have the dealer replace the driveshaft with a new one, the sound will go away. However most people who had this repair done report that it comes back. As of this time, there doesn’t appear to be a permanent fix other than replacing the driveshaft with a carbon fiber one.
My car is a 2001....this seems to indicate that the problem was 98-99. Besides that, my car is in auto, does have 3.23's, and the description of the problem is dead-on. Anyway, has a better solution to this been figured out since then? I want to get it resolved while I still have an active warranty. Is it likely/possible that this is the same problem occuring on an '01? How long will a standard replacement stay quiet? Any info from someone who's gotten this resolved would be beyond appreciated.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:40 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GoldenBird
My Z28 is an A4 with GU5. I've noticed it's been making a really quick, not all that loud but still noticeable "ping" noise when I shift the car from park into reverse. The only other time it makes this noise is when I accelerate from a stop, but this doesn't always occur. I did an extensive search for any threads covering this issue...the one I could find was from about a year ago, but seems to cover the exact problem. It included this which was cut from an F-body FAQ....

My car is a 2001....this seems to indicate that the problem was 98-99. Besides that, my car is in auto, does have 3.23's, and the description of the problem is dead-on. Anyway, has a better solution to this been figured out since then? I want to get it resolved while I still have an active warranty. Is it likely/possible that this is the same problem occuring on an '01? How long will a standard replacement stay quiet? Any info from someone who's gotten this resolved would be beyond appreciated.

I have this same exact sound in my 2000 TA with the GU5 option
Old 05-30-2005, 02:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

How long have you had the problem? Anyone have any info on addressing it?
Old 05-30-2005, 12:33 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I don't know that this is a "problem" - there are no deleterious effects, just the sound. Mine has done it since I replaced the steel driveshaft with aluminum - I think everybody's does.
Old 05-30-2005, 03:40 PM
Launching!

Mine did that exact same thing and me and the dealership went toe to toe a few rounds and in the end they replaced the driveshaft and low and behold no more "ping" sounds coming from the drive shaft.

Good luck
Old 05-31-2005, 01:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RevGTO
I don't know that this is a "problem" - there are no deleterious effects, just the sound. Mine has done it since I replaced the steel driveshaft with aluminum - I think everybody's does.
So it's not gonna get any worse or break anything? It sure doesn't sound very good. It's very quick and probably subtle if you're not listening for it, but it drives me crazy especially if someone is in the car. I read some old posts about it and it sounded like some people got their's replaced and the sound went away. I guess it's not hurting anything but I figured I'd ask...

Originally Posted by God Forgives I Dont
Mine did that exact same thing and me and the dealership went toe to toe a few rounds and in the end they replaced the driveshaft and low and behold no more "ping" sounds coming from the drive shaft.

Good luck
They probably replaced it with a steel one.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:23 AM
TECH Resident

drove my old t/a for 3 years with the ping sound. its not gonna hurt anything but if it does bother you, try and replace the driveshaft to see if that fixes it.

Quick Reply: Ping noise putting car into gear......did this problem get solved?