Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tailshaft area squealing???

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 02:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailshaft area squealing???

Hey guys I have a 4L60E in my 94 TA. I put in a aluminum driveshaft from a 98 M6 SS. I put new u-joints in it from autozone. The first time I took it out the front one made noise so I took it apart cleaned it all put and put it back together since the bearings looked fine. I had to much pressure on the end caps and they were pushing against the metal. It was fine for a while.... The other day I heard something like gear whine from under my car. I put it up in the air while checking the rear brakes out. I noticed when i turned the wheels that the car had a high pitch squeal. I thought it was that the u-joint went bad but I didn't have time to look at it.

Today I jacked it up and found out it wasn't the u-joint at all, but the noise is coming from the tailshaft of the transmission. I made sure by taking the driveshaft out and putting a old yoke in there and turning it by hand. It only does it while spinning the transmission in the direction it would spin while going forward. No noise is present while spinning it in reverse. Does anybody know what this is? I did a search and couldn't find anything.

Thanks
Old 06-05-2005, 04:17 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Bushing in tailshaft, maybe????
Old 06-08-2005, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

There's a bushing in there? If I keep driving it will I hurt anything?
Old 06-09-2005, 07:14 PM
TECH Resident

You could drive it long enough to over heat it, then in turn burn up the tailshaft seal, and run the tranny dry. An extreme circumstance, but, worth consideration.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:49 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It only does it while spinning the transmission in the direction it would spin while going forward. No noise is present while spinning it in reverse.
Thats the low roller in the transmission. It's normal to hear it while turning a spare yoke on the output shaft.
You WON'T hear it while driving.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

Huh I've never heard it before while doing this kind of work on my car. I know I've jacked it up and spun the tires and it was silent. The other day I went over some railroad tracks a little fast and a very very loud pulsing sound and a vibration came from the transmission area. I thought that it went completely. I came to a stop then I started to take off slowly and it was gone.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:45 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Then obviously it's a different noise. Remember I CAN'T HEAR IT!
I have a garage floor full of transmissions I can make a video clip of and they all make a
only does it while spinning the transmission in the direction it would spin while going forward. No noise is present while spinning it in reverse.
Type noise.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

Well i drove it 60 miles today and it's still runing strong no problems whatsoever knock on wood. Maybe I'm just parinoid.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

i've got the same noise, noticed it when installingthe tc....haven't had any issues yet.....

Quick Reply: Tailshaft area squealing???