Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M6 vs A4

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M6 vs A4

Post what you think is more fun to drive!! I have an a4 right now but plan on buying a 6 speed f-body really soon.

Tell me your verdict am i doing the right thing???
Old 08-31-2005, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I own an M6 car and they're hella fun to drive......but an A4 WITH a converter can put a grin on your face too. Everyone on this forum can tell you something different, best thing is for you to do is to drive both (try n find someone locally with a bolt-on, stalled A4 first).
Old 08-31-2005, 11:51 PM
Teching In

ive driven my buddie m6 while i own an a4, there is alot of traffic where i live so i think i have the upper hand as far as thats concerned, but the m6 is just so DAMNED fun! although i do think its cool that all i have to do is stomp on the pedal and my *** gets welded to the seat
Old 09-01-2005, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here automatics are considered grandpa cars... different places different habits.
Also the license is not the same: if you made the exam with a stick you can drive both, if you made it with an automatic you're not allowed to drive a stick!
Lots of mountains also that need more flexibility (6 gears better than 4).

Now you'll all on me, haha!

I just have an A4 because I didn't find it M6 at that time... I'm thinking about a swap
Old 09-01-2005, 01:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

I love the fact too that you can just push your foot down and boom you go fast. But I wish on corners that I had the control of a manual. In a A4 it feels like you cant just glide through a corner youre being pushed through it. I want to swap to an M6 but its alot of $$$$$
Old 09-01-2005, 02:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

True, but to beef up my toasted A4 will cost about the same... it's just a matter of choosing where to trow the money.
My first driving experience has been in the 80ies with an Alfa Romeo - obviously stick and I'd like to have that feeling again
Old 09-01-2005, 09:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What i dont like about an a4 is if ur going about 45-50 and you punch it the car will just bog out and slowly creep up speeds, i want to be able to choose my gear better.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:55 AM
11 Second Club

I've had both. M6 on a 2000 SS and now A4 on the Hawk. I love the Hawk and it is extremely consistent at the track, but there is no contest on what is more fun to drive. I want to swap in a M6 as well, but the more I go to the track and see all the stalled A4 F-bods the more I lean in this direction. I don't care what anyone says, once you see one of those bad boys rip off a low 12 with fairly minor mods, there is no comparison. I haven't been in one yet, but I hear that they pull like a mother once you get a good stall in it. I've heard a lot of guys say you'll swear there isn't anything faster off the line. I kind of like that idea. Plus you get better shift extension and negate the difference on the highway between a M6 and a A4. I know the M6 will walk away in most cases given similar mods. However, once you throw a stall in that equation, that supposedly changes. I don't know. I raced my buddy from 60 MPH, him M6 me A4 with similar mods and we were neck to neck. He can drive too, so there was no error on his part. If I had the choice right now, I'd probably go M6. But we'll see what happens.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:18 PM
Banned

BEST OF BOTH WORLDS... kinda. get an auto with a manual valve body. no traffic hassles, and you still get to shift your own gears! they make 200r4's and 700r4's w/ manual valve bodys... so you still get a decently light trans w/ an overdrive. me i have a th-400, i used to have a 6spd in my car and it was so damn fun to drive. but after going w/ the 400 and a r.m.v.b., it's still to me just as fun as the stick.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by MonsterZ28
What i dont like about an a4 is if ur going about 45-50 and you punch it the car will just bog out and slowly creep up speeds, i want to be able to choose my gear better.
Get a stall and that goes away. Yes the stall makes the car pull a hell of alot better.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK I'm an outsider and I understand nothing about the North American car enthusiasm, but where is the fun driving a 1/4 mile? It's like a 2 min quickie to me (talking about man - woman relationship).

Please explain
Old 09-01-2005, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Adrenaline rush
Old 09-01-2005, 04:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tici
OK I'm an outsider and I understand nothing about the North American car enthusiasm, but where is the fun driving a 1/4 mile? It's like a 2 min quickie to me (talking about man - woman relationship).

Please explain
You must have some understanding of car enthusiasm if you have a ride like that?
Old 09-01-2005, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Orange Terror
You must have some understanding of car enthusiasm if you have a ride like that?
Oh no, I was just looking for a red convertible and this was the first one I saw...

1/4 mile racing is something that really doesn't exist over here so nobody cares. We have many mountains and valleys with a lot of curves and narrow roads. The biggest fun is road racing... the problem is that many young people kill themself because they overestimate their ability.
When I learned to drive ("many" years ago) it was normal to buy an old fukked up car to learn driving. Now many young people lease a sport car for few bucks a month and cause accidents. Impreza and similar cars.
All stick, of course (this to remain in the thread topic).

Another question: when I was in North America (Canada + Floride) I saw many people driving manual in a strange way... during deceleration they shifted all gears down to 1st. As it was necessary to help the brakes or so. Or maybe just to show they have a stick.
Is it usual over there? We never do that! Just when driving downhill or just before a curve to prepare the acceleration at the end of it.
But never down to 1st just to stop at a light...
Old 09-01-2005, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

There seems to be the misconception that braking with the tranny is better than braking with the brakes. Seems to be a widespread trend but all it really does is put more wear on the tranny. People who are worried about stalling the car may do that too, especially if they arn't familier with it yet.

Also the 1/4 mile is the most American kind of racing there is... it just depends on the area. Up north where AWD is a good thing to have, you'll see more people doing autocross in imprezas and EVOs. I've got a friend who does just that who lives in PA. Like i said, it depends on the area.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tici
Another question: when I was in North America (Canada + Floride) I saw many people driving manual in a strange way... during deceleration they shifted all gears down to 1st. As it was necessary to help the brakes or so. Or maybe just to show they have a stick.
Is it usual over there? We never do that! Just when driving downhill or just before a curve to prepare the acceleration at the end of it.
But never down to 1st just to stop at a light...

Originally Posted by CrabhartLS1
There seems to be the misconception that braking with the tranny is better than braking with the brakes. Seems to be a widespread trend but all it really does is put more wear on the tranny. People who are worried about stalling the car may do that too, especially if they arn't familier with it yet.

Also the 1/4 mile is the most American kind of racing there is... it just depends on the area. Up north where AWD is a good thing to have, you'll see more people doing autocross in imprezas and EVOs. I've got a friend who does just that who lives in PA. Like i said, it depends on the area.
As Crabhart said, big misconception in this country. Stick's are rare here, everyone learns on auto's now. They don't know any better. My daily driver (cavalier) is a stick, I take it outta gear and use the brakes to stop. In a corner I leave it in gear. Only reason I downshift is to accelerate going through or coming out of a corner.

Using the tranny as a brake is very hard on them, I learned that after I tore one up many years ago because I was told to downshift, bad idea. Compared to a tranny, brakes are cheap.