Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Fuddle is in

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 12:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The Fuddle is in

This story is somewhat lengthy. If you want a good read, go ahead. If you're a lazy-***, leave now..... So onto the story!

Well I'd gotten my Fuddle 3400 2.2 delievered probably a month ago, but then things got hectic right as I was packing to leave for college and such. The weeks rolled by and last night a friend said to me, "Let's put in your converter tomorrow!", so we did it today. Installation of the converter took about 5 1/2 hours in my garage with all the necessary tools and a tranny jack, etc. That includes about a half hour to eat and some time of just messing around. We then installed the tranny cooler as well (more on that in a bit).

I took it for a small spin down my street to get used to it. It's loose with my 2.73s, but nice. I can start moving at a decent pace by 2000 rpms and getting ahead of traffic's pace at about 2500-2700. My buds wanted me to hammer it from a dead stop right in front of my house, so who was I to deny their request? Took the traction control off, let off the brake, and slammed the gas to the floor. Instantly, it jumps to around 3500 and climbs like a rocket as I stand still and the rear tires scream for mercy. I let off right before I hit 6k rpms and left a good 10 feet of rubber as I trailed off. WOOT! We cleaned up the garage and took it for another spin to test her out. This time, however, the car was being picky and definitely showed me that she needs a tune. It didn't want to shift gears and would stay in second as the revs climbed. I was doing 30 mph at 2k rpms and at 50 I was over 3k. It wouldn't shift and felt very sluggish when I hammered it a couple times. I went home, jumped in the shower (got pretty dirty during the course of the installation) and came back out to the car. I checked the tranny fluid and added another half quart, then headed back for the dorm. This time she was doing great. Got moving good by 2500, shifted into second and dropped down to 2000, then cruised into 3rd and achieved lockup at around 40 mph, where I would shift into OD and let my revs take a break. On the highway, she was great: mellowing along at 60 at around 1500 and cruising at 80 right at my normal 2000 rpms. Very cool indeed. Watched my coolant temps and they were staying around the normal 190-200.

I got back to campus and gave my best friends/roomates (2 other LS1 Camaro drivers) a ride. Pulled into an empty parking lot and I can stall it right up to around 3200-3400 without breaking them loose. I flashed it from idle and feathered it out as the tires ripped and clawed away, desperately searching for any meager hint of traction. I let out a bit (maybe half throttle) as I went the length of the parking lot. We circled back around to look at my marks. They began heavy and kept going...... and going.... and.. Holy Hell.... kept going! "Surely I didn't spin them for that long, did I Billy?" "Yeah man! Those are your marks all the way down there!" I'd been spinning the Fuzion ZRi tires and left VERY distinct black strips for a good 200 feet! WOW! Some guy in the parking lot wanted a race, but I told him I'd take a rain check until I got the bugs tuned out of the system. The shift extension is great on this thing! When I floor it, it of course jumps to around 3400-3500, then screams (quicker than before) to redline, where it shifts to second and drops down to only 4800-4900 rpms! Now that's what I call staying in the powerband.

Made a trip down the block to the gas station to fill her up. Suddenly my friend pointed out that my "Low Oil" light was on. WHATTT? So I bought another quart inside and poured it in. I slightly panicked as I thought that I might be leaking oil from somewhere or that I was burning it up. But come to think of it, I am driving an LS1 and it is indeed time for an oil change, so it's likely just the standard burning oil problem of our beloved 346 engines. They may be touched by the hand of God, but they've got an appetite for that stuff, don't they? Anyways, I'm back in the dorm and I want to go drive it some more. I really need to pick up a Trans Temp gauge because I'm worried to death that I'm somehow frying my tranny (I worry too much, don't I? ) It would put me at ease to know that my tranny is still running cool.

The only thing that I am unhappy with as far as the installation goes was the tranny cooler. It's actually just chilling (no pun intended) in front of my radiator at the moment, unattached by the little zip-tie things. Actually, they're not really zip-ties at all. They're more of a pointed and ribbed plastic strap with a wide and flat end on them. Then after you put that through the holes on the cooler and poke them through the radiator slots, you slide another flat end over the tip and cut off the excess tie. However, the postion of the fans makes it very hard to do. You have to poke it through the front of the radiator in such a way that it will come out right by the fan blades. You then have to reach behind the fans, then through them, and put the second side of the tie on as you cut the rest off. Easily said, but seemed damn near impossible to do tonight. I will likely do it tomorrow afternoon after classes, but for now it's resting on the little support down there.

I'd like to give props to Fuddle for being an amazing company to deal with. John is a truly great guy and he's proving this time after time with their great converters as sales climb. The converter works amazing: hits hard, will roast the tires at will, and pulls like a raped ape. Although I may need Nittos very soon...... All in all, I'm glad I spent the money on it. Great A4 mod and amazing bang for the buck. I'll get used to the feel of it and I'm going to try to learn to launch it without leaving black dust everywhere. Then it's time for the track! Anyways, thanks for reading and if you have any questions about either Fuddle or my converter, feel free to PM me. Goodnight all.

Cliff notes: I read all of your damn posts, so why don't you just sit down and take a little time to read mine?
Old 09-12-2005, 07:58 AM
11 Second Club

I got a fuddle 3600 I have same gears as you and you took all the words outta my mouth mine does the exact same thing it is 1 helluva monster, GREAT JOB THERE FUDDLE!!!
Old 09-12-2005, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

getting mine soon
Old 09-12-2005, 09:29 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

I have to say that...

IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME! I've been following your progress on this decision. I feel like you had alot of the same concerns I did when you were making this decision. I'm glad to hear you're happy with your purchase. Converter cars really are a blast to drive. I've got a few buddies who swear by manuals, but they secretly admit to loving to ride in and/or drive my stalled car. Enjoy it, and go ahead and throw in a trans temp gauge. Easy to wire up and install, and the peace of mind is priceless.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:37 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by josh99ta
I have to say that...

IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME! I've been following your progress on this decision. I feel like you had alot of the same concerns I did when you were making this decision. I'm glad to hear you're happy with your purchase. Converter cars really are a blast to drive. I've got a few buddies who swear by manuals, but they secretly admit to loving to ride in and/or drive my stalled car. Enjoy it, and go ahead and throw in a trans temp gauge. Easy to wire up and install, and the peace of mind is priceless.
Yup, it took me a while. I do agree that we had the same concerns about converters, and I'm also glad that I chose what I did. And yes, the trans temp gauge will be my next mod.

Last edited by Scotty-Z; 09-12-2005 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:53 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

And not to mention the extra exhaust volume from the higher RPMs just getting around town are fun at times and especially helpful at getting attention from other automotive enthusiasts and some of the cooler females out there as well.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:04 PM
11 Second Club

Good writeup, and im happy to see you like it. I should have mine in this wednesday. I went with a 3600/2.2. I'll post up after the first drive.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good to see some feedback. i would like to see some track times with these fuddle convertors though.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
good to see some feedback. i would like to see some track times with these fuddle convertors though.
I'll definitely be getting to the track soon hopefully. However, this is my first time with a stalled car and also would be my first time at the track, so I'm not hoping for anything too spectacular. But when I get some good traction, LCAs, and learn to launch it right, I'll be hoping for some low-mid 12s.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ponyeater01LS1
I got a fuddle 3600 I have same gears as you and you took all the words outta my mouth mine does the exact same thing it is 1 helluva monster, GREAT JOB THERE FUDDLE!!!
heh
i'm sitting here reading this, and i remember how i was sitting here and reading this type of stuff about 6 months ago.. and i had the feeling of "damn, i want this!"... now i'm like "yeah.. heh.. i have this! yeehaw"

mine's 3600 / 1.8STR

i love it

oh, and you'll get used to looseness of the converter very fast
honestly, at this point, i can't even remember how the hell it felt with a stock converter. it just feels "right" this way.

You get used to everything.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by firechicken2k
heh
i'm sitting here reading this, and i remember how i was sitting here and reading this type of stuff about 6 months ago.. and i had the feeling of "damn, i want this!"... now i'm like "yeah.. heh.. i have this! yeehaw"

mine's 3600 / 1.8STR

i love it

oh, and you'll get used to looseness of the converter very fast
honestly, at this point, i can't even remember how the hell it felt with a stock converter. it just feels "right" this way.

You get used to everything.
Definitely. I already started to get used to it last night. The only thing I'm going to have to get accustomed to is the partial-throttle acceleration. I'm used to how it felt with the stocker, so now I have to find how much I can give it and how quickly it picks up before flashing. Shouldn't take me long now.

I'd get under the car today and hook up the rest of that tranny cooler, but it's hot as hell out right now.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:50 AM
11 Second Club

I can't wait to get mine in (According to fedex it should be delivered today!). I just need to figure out where to take it since I'm a little concerned about doing the install myself.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:40 AM
11 Second Club

I can't wait to get mine in (According to fedex it should be delivered today!). I just need to figure out where to take it since I'm a little concerned about doing the install myself

Its easy man I did mine with 2 other buddies and none of us knew what was going on but we did it, there is a step by step instruction somewhere on this site that tells you litterally bolt by bolt how to do it.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:07 AM
11 Second Club

I can't wait to get mine in (According to fedex it should be delivered today!). I just need to figure out where to take it since I'm a little concerned about doing the install myself

Its easy man I did mine with 2 other buddies and none of us knew what was going on but we did it, there is a step by step instruction somewhere on this site that tells you litterally bolt by bolt how to do it.
Well my main problem is figuring out where to do it. My garage is only a single car garage and a tight fit at that which doesn't leave a lot of room for getting around. Of course there is the whole "car maintenance isn't allowed on site" clause in the lease. When I did my header/exhaust install I was able to use my grandparents garage but I don't want to inconvience them again.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:11 AM
11 Second Club

well ur gonna need room and alot of rags and a tranny jack. and of course 4 jack stands. paying to have it done in my mind is a waste i'll either learn how to do it or f-ck it up trying and then refix it ha ha it is an easy job though if u have the plase to do it
Old 09-13-2005, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

sounds good, i should have my 4000 2.4str in by the end of this week and hopefully will be going in during the weekend...some nittos or bfg dr's are to be coming in soon too
Old 09-13-2005, 11:14 AM
12 Second Club

Nice, I just put in the Fuddle 3400 2.1 STR about 5 weeks ago. Made 3 trips to track to get new times. Best before stall was 13.01, new best 12.696. When temps drop times should too, my best 60' before the fuddle was 1.891(was not norm, 1.93-95's were norm), my new best is 1.704 and runs in low 1.7's all day long.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:46 PM
11 Second Club

well ur gonna need room and alot of rags and a tranny jack. and of course 4 jack stands. paying to have it done in my mind is a waste i'll either learn how to do it or f-ck it up trying and then refix it ha ha it is an easy job though if u have the plase to do it
I agree about the paying part, I can buy my own tools for the cost of having someone else do it. What exactly is different about a tranny jack compared to a normal jack?
Old 09-13-2005, 01:59 PM
11 Second Club

i think u can buy an attachment for a normal jack or just go get you a good tranny jack they look just like a floor jack but it has adjustable thingys that hold the tranny pan and u just jack it up and lower it out. it is a must to do if not ur gonna need alot of muscle to get it down and out carefully. or if u know some1 with a motorcycle or atv jack those work too.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DanWS6
I agree about the paying part, I can buy my own tools for the cost of having someone else do it. What exactly is different about a tranny jack compared to a normal jack?
Autozone has a Transmission attachment for a floor jack that costs around $40. Works great!