Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SS3800 and pro built shift kit is in!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SS3800 and pro built shift kit is in!

Well, I finally got my Yank SS3800 and pro built automatics modded trans go shift kit in and just took the 1st drive It's fairly loose, but this is my 1st time driving a stalled auto, so i'm shure i'll get used to it, and at part throttle shifts you can barely tell the shift kit is in there (1 washer per pro built) Lock-up is nice and tight under light throttle, but it seemed to buck a little when un-locking, is that normal for a new converter?? Maybe once it's broke in it will not do that (I hope!) other than that i'm happy!! I'm going to have to wait a little while before I can hammer on it because i'm breaking in a new gear set also, but i'll be shure to update this when I get some WOT impressions
Old 10-11-2005, 11:45 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

My converter's smaller, but with the Pro-Built kit and one washer, 1-2 is very crisp. 2-3 is crisp, and 3-4 is barely detectable. I'm not sure what you mean by "bucking", but for instance, if I pump the brakes slowing down from freeway speeds, the TCC will unlock and relock in a jolting way. That's a good thing, because the revised Transgo TCC valve is giving you positive TCC engagement, which will enhance TCC life.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, "jolting" would be a simliar way to describe it, so yeah, I think we're on the same page. To describe it a little better, it will only give that jolting feeling when i'm coasting down from freeway speeds (not on the brakes) and it will also do it when coasting into lockup speeds 40-43mph ish (not in the throttle.)
Old 10-13-2005, 12:51 AM
Pontiacerator

Hmmm ... with the Transgo you will feel it lock up with a jolt, but what you describe makes it seem like it is unlocking when coasting at freeway speeds. Mine doesn't unlock (without braking) until I hit about 37mph. Have you done any tuning or looked at your lock-up and unlock settings?
Old 10-13-2005, 11:09 AM
12 Second Club

Nice choice with the SS3800. I love mine, hoping to break into the 11's with it at the track soon. Take it easy for the first 400-500 miles then beat it in like a red headed step child.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Hmmm ... with the Transgo you will feel it lock up with a jolt, but what you describe makes it seem like it is unlocking when coasting at freeway speeds. Mine doesn't unlock (without braking) until I hit about 37mph. Have you done any tuning or looked at your lock-up and unlock settings?
No tuning at all. I'm getting a SES about the 3-4 shift solenoid, but it shifts and locks up just fine I'm so in the dark when it comes to tuning these cars it's not even funny I'm going to have to find someone local to me that knows what they are doing and can do some tuning on the streets because I can't see a dyno tune doing jack for the transmission.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:40 PM
Pontiacerator

Yeah, you've got to find somebody near you with HP Tuners or EFIlive for your year that knows a little bit about tranny tuning.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Yeah, you've got to find somebody near you with HP Tuners or EFIlive for your year that knows a little bit about tranny tuning.
I've been trying even before I got the converter in, but haven't found anyone but there is a large all GM track event (M10 in Stanton MI) this weekend so i'm going to try and make some connections there.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:29 PM
TECH Resident

On your soloenoid light, you may try ( if you haven' t already been doing this ) to leave the car in D, not OD, until you get on the freeway, and maintain a speed above like 55 MPH. I found around town, the converter will hunt around to find a lockup, and then that damn light comes on and I loose first and overdrive, until I reset the light. Otherwise I lover my stall. I gotta' get some DRs, because going to the track on street tires is a waste. I know my tires hate the converter though >
Old 10-14-2005, 08:16 PM
Pontiacerator

And if you find a tuner, getting rid of 3rd gear lock-up is also a good idea.