Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Components To Complement a Torque Converter

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 11:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Include with the above some basic stuff...HD flexplate, ARP flexplate bolts,ARP t/c bolts, just some cheap insurance.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:54 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by foxtrotter
RevGTO, are you happy with your TCI SF3000, as a converter and the size you went with?
Yes, I am very happy with it. Most guys will tell you to go bigger, but for daily driving and 4 or so times I go to the track each year, this one works great for me. Some guys have had problems with the lock-up clutch on this converter, but so far, with the help of the Transgo, it's worked perfectly - time will tell. I hated my A4 after I first got my car, but the combination of gears, converter, Transgo, and tuning has made it awesome now.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:42 PM
Staging Lane

Hey RevGTO, I see you're in Kansas (so am I) and that you said your bird's a daily driver, and I was wondering what kind of tires you have on her, and what kind of traction you get with your new 'verter. Reason I'm asking is that I have all-seasons on my camaro (its a daily driver as well), and I'm considering a lower-stall converter, but I was wondering whether I would be getting sideways every time I gave it gas. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:10 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Sorry to be here, butI run Goodyear KDWS, which are also all-season, because as you know, winter in Kansas can be like San Antonio one day and Fargo the next. In the summer I will put my Nitto DR's on the rear. A hi-stall converter (I take it that you mean higher, not lower) actually makes it makes it easier to feather the throttle in slippery conditions. You just don't want to stomp it, or you will be sideways fast.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:08 PM
Staging Lane

Is there any info out there about the fuddle racing converters?....I did a search. but found very little.

Jimmyblue, It sounds like you enjoy your Fuddle TC . Why did you make the switch over? From what I have gathered about these converters, is that they have a bigger clutch. This sounds like a good thing, But I wish i knew a little more about the dynamics of converter and auto transmissions. Its a lot to absorb, especially having no background in cars.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 98A4LS1
Are you saying this is the case with all TC's or just higher rpm stall TC's? ie 3800+ rpm
I'm not blaming the TC, just the weak clutch packs in our cars and the electronically controlled slush box. The electronically controlled 4l60e is the weak link in our cars. The reason I say that about the trans over the rear end is because in an A4, you brake torque to get a good launch, not neutral slam. This means load is already being applied to the rear end, and the rear takes less of a hit on take-off.

That being said, the stock A4 is really hit or miss. It's very strange that when I first set out to buy my converter it was rare to hear about reliability issues with a TC on a bolt-on car. Now, more than ever, I see guys blowing up their trannies with small TCs and mild bolt-ons. It looks to be an issue with '01-'02 cars primarily.

BTW, a little info I've picked up about the 4l60e: there are 8-11 sensors that have their hand in determining line pressure. MAF, MAP, TPS, etc, etc. In a cammed car for example, the low vaccuum at idle can throw a MAP code which will 'f' up your shift pressure. The MAP sensor can send your car into limp home mode where your line pressure is at the max even at part throttle. Combine that with a lighter, smaller converter and you're just asking for trouble. Vaccuum modulated is the way to go. Takes all the guess work out of line pressure calculations. Line pressure is determined by vaccuum pressure. PERIOD.

*NO TORQUE CONVERTER OUT THERE IS PLUG AND PLAY. ADJUSTMENTS NEED TO MADE TO THE PCM AND THE VALVE BODY FOR RELIABILITY AND DRIVEABILITY*
Old 12-30-2005, 09:59 PM
Banned

As far as the debate on components to match, I completely agree with a shift kit. Remember that these have been designed to extend life of the transmission while also raising street feel by firming shifts. The big thing that pretty much well versed 700r4/4l60e tech will tell you is that they get rid of pulse width mudulation. I run a shift kit in my car and love what it did for the car. Like Jimmy mentioned, the level 1 that accomplishes getting rid of PWM and is a good idea. I run the full one.
Tuning is a good idea. Especially if you have an 01-02 PCM. You will want to get rid of Torque Management. There are a lot of great things that can be accomplished through tuning.

I think both have their advantages.

Cooler of course.

Gears really only need to be done if the converter feels too loose for your taste. Looseness really is a person by person assessment. Get gears if it feels too loose. Otherwise, save yourself the money for a cam or something much more helpful.
Originally Posted by foxtrotter
Is there any info out there about the fuddle racing converters?....I did a search. but found very little.
We build our converters for each customer so that we can make certain that each customer gets the best possible converter for their application. We use only the highest quality components in our converters and depending on exactly what you are looking for, we can build a converter specifically to match your needs. If it is for our customers with single digit drag cars or our customer's who want streetability in their daily driver.
Try a search for Fuddle (assuming the search is working). You will find hundreds of posts with people who love our converters.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:25 AM
Staging Lane

Every day that goes by I find myself leaning closer and closer towards Fuddle. The part I'm still completating is stall size, and STR number. As of now i really only drive my cars on the weekends in mostly 40+mph conditions. The weekend driving might change though.

Racing? Well in the future i might put in heads,cams, and a 3.42. But then again I hear i wont need gears if i get a high enough stall. I want a good STR ratio, but I didn't want one that's going to kill my gas mileage. And then there's the saying "Go big or you'll regret it" But then you guys have the upgrade feature right, so I was thinking something over a 3000rpm and below a 4000 would be sufficient. There's a lot of variables. So once i get this all figured out, expect a call from me John. I'm sure you'll be happy to help.

And Everyone that responded to this post, thanks,its greatly appreciated.

Last edited by foxtrotter; 12-31-2005 at 08:33 AM.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

You should call John to HELP you decide. He is very helpful and will get you the converter that best suits your needs. The one year warranty and free re-stall is also a good reason to call him. You can be sure he won't set you up with something you're not happy with.

Quick Reply: Best Components To Complement a Torque Converter