Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bolt on car convertor suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006 | 11:16 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Yank
darrensls1

Yank was the first in the LS-1 market, we built GM powertrain converters for the camaro test mule cars running the ls1 engine and the converters we designed to work best in all driving conditions it was our Y3000 this was in 1996.
Tci started building LS1 converters in 2000 and Fuddle in late 2004 and Percision in late 1998
So we have built to date more than 5000 LS-1 converters alone! more than any converter co.
We have been testing designs for a long time and you are correct that you can get close to the same times from a lower priced units, as many of our converters have been looked at over the years and copied, but the MPH is the real story.
The same as you can run a stock shortblock and go as fast as a forged unit but it is for How long and how often till it self destroys!

We allow you 2 years to try to destroy our unit not 90 days or 1 year
and our overall warrenty rate is at .3 % this is Very low
We will have NEW pricing that will blow you away!
do not buy anything till you see listed on our site sometime next week

and here is one of many letters we get about our product and it is from a person that has tested lot of converters of all makes( inc. ones listed above)

http://www.converter.cc/testimonials...sh/patgish.htm

Thanks
I agree with everything you said. It may not seem like it but I have been trying to throw your company compliments during this debate. I have no doubts that Yank products are top quality. Your prices and customer service have also come a long way since I first started coming here.

I'll be running what I have for this upcoming season(might add N20 though) but my hope is to save enough over the sping, summer and fall to be able to afford pulling the trigger on a TH400, T-brake and converter next winter. Xmas time seems a good time to get good deals with vendors around here

I'll be giving you a call then and hopefully placing a big order because I believe you guys sell the TH400 transmissions. May as well buy everything I can at one place.

Thanks,

Darren
Old 01-10-2006 | 11:26 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by darrensls1
Did you even try brake stalling it without doing a burnout first? I'm guessing a better 60' was waiting to be had. Regardless, that is a mute point.

2.0 is a street tire 60' time. Do you argue this? 1.5-1.6 is a sticky tire time. Do you argue this? If you answer no twice then my point was made.

I have every intention of replacing them. Always did. Why? Because the 4L60E is a very weak transmission. TH400 has always been part of the long term plan. If you want to invest money in a PoS 4L60E then go right ahead. Myself, I'm going to enjoy mine till it dies and then do it right the first time. I've seen way too many people here talking about how they are on thier 3rd or 4th built 4L60E. That won't be me.

But couldn't a Corvette owner say the same thing to us about the cars we bought? Couldn't someone running a built 4L80E or TH400 say the same thing to us about even buying a performance part for a 4L60E? Now the big question. If I get a few years of impressive track results while I save for a TH400, did I not in the end save money by not buying the most expensive converter for a transmission that can not be used in my future setup? Like Mr. Miyagi used to say, "Not everyting is as seen".

I believe the gains are possible. I just don't believe the stall is 100% responsible. That stall needs traction as does any 4000 stall with a high STR. I showed you what 60' Bain pulled using a similair setup as you with a TCI3800. Why is his results supposed to be less impressive then yours? You have never once addressed any of the quotes I found showing TCI having just as impressive results. You act like they don't exist. I keep at this until you stop ignoring other peoples success with alternative converters.

See I'm a little confused about this. I noticed this in your profile that you're 20. This indicates to me that your fairly new to F-bodies and drag racing in general. I mean it's not like you can say you have been drag racing for 10 or 15 years right? So at your young age, when did all this converter brand testing happen?

You joined ls1tech on 8/31/2005 and based on your first thread in September you had recently gotten your car.Then you started a thread back on 10/24/05 titled "first quarter mile pass in the car". This was with the SS4000 and you made reference to the pass before it on the stock converter much like you did here. But what I don't get is when did you install/try all these other brands? Between 8/31 and 10/24? That's less then two months and you never mentioned any other converters going into your car. So in reality, you don't have first had experience with any converter other then stock and SS4000 right?

I myself have no first hand experience other then TCI 3500 and stock. But then again, I never said otherwise. But I can search and I can read. That's how I know things like the 4L60E will never work for me, Trans brakes are a good thing, 10 bolts last longer in an A4 but won't last forever and Yank, TCI, Fuddle, PI are all competitive.

As have you.

You definately made a personal attack that had nothing to do with facts. But that's ok because I expect nothing less from someone as young as yourself. I was that age too once. I may argue points and debate numbers but I will not call you names. Pointing out your negative behavior is not the same as resorting to it myself. So yes I am above the name calling.

Heck, I even gave you a compliment several posts back.
Yes I brake stalled it. What kind of question is that? Guess all you want. It only 60ft a 1.9 w/ a stock converter. I do know how to drag race.

You seem to take my comments out of context. Especially with you Corvette analogy.

Just b/c I'm 20 and have only been on tech since august doesnt mean I dont know about f-bodies. Also, who says this is my first Camaro? Nice assumption there buddy. Keep the ignorance coming. Also, I work at an automotive shop where we work on a lot of f-bodies. So, I think its safe to say that I have experience in them and know what each different brand of converter does. Searching and reading about them doesnt make you an expert either. As far as name calling.....you're not above it. Someone whos above it would ignore it completely and not bring it up.
Old 01-10-2006 | 12:31 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NICKZ28
Yes I brake stalled it. What kind of question is that? Guess all you want. It only 60ft a 1.9 w/ a stock converter. I do know how to drag race.
I thought it was a legitimate question. Based on your 1.5x 60' time I'd say you have a very good grasp on drag racing. But that doesn't mean you would know everything.

You seem to take my comments out of context. Especially with you Corvette analogy.
I don't think so. I thought it was a good analogy. Just because I didn't buy a Yank doesn't mean I wasted my money. Just because we didn't buy Corvettes doesn't mean we wasted our money. It's not exactly the same thing of course, but I thought it made a valid point.

Just b/c I'm 20 and have only been on tech since august doesnt mean I dont know about f-bodies. Also, who says this is my first Camaro? Nice assumption there buddy. Keep the ignorance coming.
I never said it meant you know nothing. I do know that at 20 you tend to think you know more then you really do. That's not you personally but people in general. I was like that too. So is my daughter who is only a few years younger then you. But like many parents like to say, "when you get older you'll understand". I can't be expected to know where you work, what you do or what cars you may or may not have had. But the fact that you're so young and LS1's were 20-30K new I find it a very safe bet that this is your first LS1. Camaros/Firebirds pre 97 are not relevant to this discussion which is completely about ls1 f-body torque converters.

Also, I work at an automotive shop where we work on a lot of f-bodies. So, I think its safe to say that I have experience in them and know what each different brand of converter does..
You made the implication that you have installed/used many of the LS1 converters but never actually said you worked in a auto shop till now. Installing a torque converter in someones car and actually using it in your car, racing it in your car and dynoing it in your car are completely different. You really can't say you have experience with brand X converter just because you installed a few and took them for a test drive down the street.

Searching and reading about them doesnt make you an expert either. As far as name calling.....you're not above it. Someone whos above it would ignore it completely and not bring it up.
But it does make me educated on the subject. I know many facts about torque converters, exhaust setups, cams, gears, ect even though I havn't used them all. The stickies and search feature here is second to none. This is IMO the #1 site for learning about LS1's. I'm sure you have learned alot since your first post as well. It's a great place to learn.

I bring up the name calling so you can see your doing it and hopefully see that it's uncalled for. I will not return fire (so to speak). I actually think you're very intelligent. You certainly have good taste in cars and converters. You just have a few misconceptions on the potential of TCI, PI and Fuddle.

It's ok to support Yank. I do. But you don't have to insult other companies to support the one you like. Especially since these other companies can produce identical 60' times and ET loss in the 3000-4000 stall range. The real difference for Yank is the effiency, selection and apparently warranty (I didn't know they offer two years which is awesome).

If Yank and I can agree then I don't see why we can't as well.

Last edited by darrensls1; 01-10-2006 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-10-2006 | 01:13 PM
11 Second Club

I thought it was a legitimate question. Based on your 1.5x 60' time I'd say you have a very good grasp on drag racing. But that doesn't mean you would know everything.

I don't think so. I thought it was a good analogy. Just because I didn't buy a Yank doesn't mean I wasted my money. Just because we didn't buy Corvettes doesn't mean we wasted our money. It's not exactly the same thing of course, but I thought it made a valid point.

I never said it meant you know nothing. I do know that at 20 you tend to think you know more then you really do. That's not you personally but people in general. I was like that too. So is my daughter who is only a few years younger then you. But like many parents like to say, "when you get older you'll understand". I can't be expected to know where you work, what you do or what cars you may or may not have had. But the fact that you're so young and LS1's were 20-30K new I find it a very safe bet that this is your first LS1. Camaros/Firebirds pre 97 are not relevant to this discussion which is completely about ls1 f-body torque converters.

You made the implication that you have installed/used many of the LS1 converters but never actually said you worked in a auto shop till now. Installing a torque converter in someones car and actually using it in your car, racing it in your car and dynoing it in your car are completely different. You really can't say you have experience with brand X converter just because you installed a few and took them for a test drive down the street.

But it does make me educated on the subject. I know many facts about torque converters, exhaust setups, cams, gears, ect even though I havn't used them all. The stickies and search feature here is second to none. This is IMO the #1 site for learning about LS1's. I'm sure you have learned alot since your first post as well. It's a great place to learn.

I bring up the name calling so you can see your doing it and hopefully see that it's uncalled for. I will not return fire (so to speak). I actually think you're very intelligent. You certainly have good taste in cars and converters. You just have a few misconceptions on the potential of TCI, PI and Fuddle.

It's ok to support Yank. I do. But you don't have to insult other companies to support the one you like. Especially since these other companies can produce identical 60' times and ET loss in the 3000-4000 stall range. The real difference for Yank is the effiency, selection and apparently warranty (I didn't know they offer two years which is awesome).

If Yank and I can agree then I don't see why we can't as well.
The more you assume, the more you make yourself look bad. My first Camaro was a 2000 Z28. Who says I cant afford a car like this? Especially with my own money. So, again....you were wrong. This is my 2nd LS1. As far as knowing what each brand of converter has done at the track. I'll/We'll install them and either go out to the track w/ them or they'll call us to tell us what kind of imporvement it made. Thats how I know what each brand is good for. I never insulted any other company either. I simply said Yank is the best one to go w/ and the most effecient from the many I've seen. And, you know "potential" doesnt mean anything on the track. A car runs what it runs. There is no...it could go this et/mph if only i had x. It doesnt work like that.
Old 01-10-2006 | 01:49 PM
12 Second Club

Didn't read the whole thread but I just want to say that I gained a whole second off my time with Yank's SS3800 on Nittos. I can only imagine what it would run with a stickier tire. You can't beat Fuddle for the price though. So in the end, it's up to the buyer on what he/she wants.
Old 01-10-2006 | 02:31 PM
11 Second Club

The more you assume, the more you make yourself look bad. My first Camaro was a 2000 Z28. Who says I cant afford a car like this? Especially with my own money. So, again....you were wrong. This is my 2nd LS1. As far as knowing what each brand of converter has done at the track. I'll/We'll install them and either go out to the track w/ them or they'll call us to tell us what kind of imporvement it made. Thats how I know what each brand is good for. I never insulted any other company either. I simply said Yank is the best one to go w/ and the most effecient from the many I've seen. And, you know "potential" doesnt mean anything on the track. A car runs what it runs. There is no...it could go this et/mph if only i had x. It doesnt work like that.
You'll have to forgive me if I reserve my right to doubt you here. It really sounds like your just making stuff up as you go along to try and make a point and or make me look bad. But again, if Yank and I can agree on the truth then I'm not sure why you still feel the need to argue.

You have to acknowledge the ET streets as well as the 3.73's for helping you to achieve the success you have had. I have shown you others with similair setups (but a different brand of converter) getting great results as well but those get ignored because they don't support your point of view.

If you dont want to pay for quality now, you'll end up paying more down the road to replace a cheaper one. In this case...just keep the stock one.
I don't know how you interpret this but I see it as simutaniously insulting every converter maker other then Yank. I got to admit that at least you're an equal oportunity offender To say keep the stock one because all the rest is junk (clearly implied) is insulting all the other companies IMO. And I wasn't the first to call you out on it so I'm not alone.

I'll keep debating with you if you like. Lets just try and keep it civil please. Otherwise a moderator will lock it. Wait, that might not be a bad thing
Old 01-10-2006 | 02:42 PM
9 Second Club

Otherwise a moderator will lock it. Wait, that might not be a bad thing
I TOTALLY agree. This thread has gone so far off topic it really isn't funny. Does anyone really think people are still reading it? After the arguments started, it lost its importantce. No one cares anymore. Someone just kill this thread...Moderator...Please...
Old 01-10-2006 | 02:56 PM
11 Second Club

You'll have to forgive me if I reserve my right to doubt you here. It really sounds like your just making stuff up as you go along to try and make a point and or make me look bad. But again, if Yank and I can agree on the truth then I'm not sure why you still feel the need to argue.

You have to acknowledge the ET streets as well as the 3.73's for helping you to achieve the success you have had. I have shown you others with similair setups (but a different brand of converter) getting great results as well but those get ignored because they don't support your point of view.

I don't know how you interpret this but I see it as simutaniously insulting every converter maker other then Yank. I got to admit that at least you're an equal oportunity offender To say keep the stock one because all the rest is junk (clearly implied) is insulting all the other companies IMO. And I wasn't the first to call you out on it so I'm not alone.

I'll keep debating with you if you like. Lets just try and keep it civil please. Otherwise a moderator will lock it. Wait, that might not be a bad thing
I havent made up anything in this thread. If you dont believe me then thats your problem not mine. I also did acknowledge that my ET streets and 3.73's were helping. You also havent shown a similar set-up w/ so little done do the same. I saw one example you brought up, which had "bolt-ons". It'd be nice to know exactly what bolt-ons there were. That could make all the difference, plus tuning...was that done also? Those examples are also of other's cars....so how do you know they're not lying? I ust think its funny to see people post about what they've read, and not what they've experienced.
Old 01-10-2006 | 02:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by transsam
I TOTALLY agree. This thread has gone so far off topic it really isn't funny. Does anyone really think people are still reading it? After the arguments started, it lost its importantce. No one cares anymore. Someone just kill this thread...Moderator...Please...
Dont like it? Then dont read it.
Old 01-10-2006 | 03:30 PM
11 Second Club

I havent made up anything in this thread. If you dont believe me then thats your problem not mine. I also did acknowledge that my ET streets and 3.73's were helping. You also havent shown a similar set-up w/ so little done do the same. I saw one example you brought up, which had "bolt-ons". It'd be nice to know exactly what bolt-ons there were. That could make all the difference, plus tuning...was that done also? Those examples are also of other's cars....so how do you know they're not lying? I ust think its funny to see people post about what they've read, and not what they've experienced.
It's not so much my problem as it is my provocative. I'm simply playing the odds on this one. Most kids at 20 are still in college and or relatively new on a job. Most might be on thier second car but not usually semi expensive cars that are only one model year apart. Then as coincidence would have it you're also a mechanic (or something of the nature) who works on F-bodies (alot). And to top it off you've been at this long enough to have seen about every converter out there, installed them, went along with the customers to the track and or kept in close contact to get track results from the ones you didn't go to the track with. And all track results just happen to support your position even though none of them are actually here to be quoted or heard from.

Could all that be true? It's possible that this is all one coincidece after another. Could some be fabricated to adhance your side of this debate? I have to think it's not only possible but likely.

In another thread you said this:

Its as stock as you can get. Lid, 3.73's, cat back (I think I forgot that) and the converter is all. I think she has a little freak in her. I cant wait to get it out to CA speedway, do a 1/4 mile instead of 1/8 mile. Good luck w/ your car.
So even you thought your cars performance was beyond "normal". And I agree. Your seems to be on the strong side and that's a good thing. But that does not mean that everyone with your exact same setup can or would acieve the same resulte. Even with the same YANK converter. I have shown that with other converters you can achieve a compatible 60'. While the trap speed may not be as good the ET should be competitive with other Yanks in non "freak" cars.

It's all relative. Find another "freak" and put a TCI 4000 in with the same mods and I bet it's close all around other then giving up a MPH or two in trap speed. Other converters are not junk. They just arn't quite as efficient. As mods increase and stall size increases this plays a bigger and bigger roll. For internally stock/bolt-on cars it's rather on the minimal side.

I can search and get more quotes for you if you like but what's the point?

BTW

Dont like it? Then dont read it.
Isn't this just a little uncalled for? He has a right to express his opinion even if it's to close this thread.
Old 01-10-2006 | 05:33 PM
11 Second Club

It's not so much my problem as it is my provocative. I'm simply playing the odds on this one. Most kids at 20 are still in college and or relatively new on a job. Most might be on thier second car but not usually semi expensive cars that are only one model year apart. Then as coincidence would have it you're also a mechanic (or something of the nature) who works on F-bodies (alot). And to top it off you've been at this long enough to have seen about every converter out there, installed them, went along with the customers to the track and or kept in close contact to get track results from the ones you didn't go to the track with. And all track results just happen to support your position even though none of them are actually here to be quoted or heard from.

Could all that be true? It's possible that this is all one coincidece after another. Could some be fabricated to adhance your side of this debate? I have to think it's not only possible but likely.

In another thread you said this:

So even you thought your cars performance was beyond "normal". And I agree. Your seems to be on the strong side and that's a good thing. But that does not mean that everyone with your exact same setup can or would acieve the same resulte. Even with the same YANK converter. I have shown that with other converters you can achieve a compatible 60'. While the trap speed may not be as good the ET should be competitive with other Yanks in non "freak" cars.

It's all relative. Find another "freak" and put a TCI 4000 in with the same mods and I bet it's close all around other then giving up a MPH or two in trap speed. Other converters are not junk. They just arn't quite as efficient. As mods increase and stall size increases this plays a bigger and bigger roll. For internally stock/bolt-on cars it's rather on the minimal side.

I can search and get more quotes for you if you like but what's the point?

BTW

Isn't this just a little uncalled for? He has a right to express his opinion even if it's to close this thread.
Btw, I am in college also, I dont just work. If you think I'm fabricating some of what I say or all of it. I really dont care. The guys I work w/ have seen the same thing. Most of the customers I deal w/ do go to the same tracks as I do. Most of the time I'll see them there. Also when they come back for more mods they tell us how the car did. I also said, "I THINK SHE HAS A LITTLE FREAK IN HER." I never said it did for sure. Why? Because it hasnt seen a dyno. Thinking and knowing are 2 different things.
Old 01-10-2006 | 08:04 PM
11 Second Club

Btw, I am in college also, I dont just work.
Good for you. That's not sarcastic either. I think a higher education is important.

If you think I'm fabricating some of what I say or all of it. I really dont care. The guys I work w/ have seen the same thing. Most of the customers I deal w/ do go to the same tracks as I do. Most of the time I'll see them there. Also when they come back for more mods they tell us how the car did.
I suspect you do care because that's twice now you pointed out how you don't care. But that really isn't important. I'm having a hard time getting past all the coincedences that I pointed out in the last post. Now we're throwing being a student on top of being a 20 yr old ls1 mechanic, buying multiple cars, torque converter specialist, friendly with all the customers, ect, ect.

You insist it's all true and I have my doubts. Lets just agree to disagree here and leave it at that.

I also said, "I THINK SHE HAS A LITTLE FREAK IN HER." I never said it did for sure. Why? Because it hasnt seen a dyno. Thinking and knowing are 2 different things.
Look at your before trap speed. For a car without headers (I assume you don't have headers) that's fantastic. You said you thought it was, Someone in that thread after your post agreed and I am a third to agree with that notion.

Congrats. You have a strong runner. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm thinking this tech forum is not the appropriate place for this debate of ours. If your willing, I would like to suggest taking this to PM's. I'll continue this with you till 07 if you like. But we really should take this out of this forum.

What do you think?
Old 01-11-2006 | 01:29 AM
10 Second Club

why is this argument still going on, yank is probably the best converter you can buy but it comes with a price tag as it should, fuddle, tci, who ever else make decent converters for the money, yeah they might not last as long and rob more mph but usually the people buying them know what they are getting into. They still are a great mod for the money, not the best but good. You can say this about anything. why the hell would you by nittos when there are M/T drag radials, we both know which is better, everyone has there own opinion, so just state it and stop circling around the same issue... NICKZ28 who cares is he doesn't believe you or if he does, some people sacrifice hp for money and that is their choice, it is not wrong just what they wanna do, believe it or not sometimes money is more important than gains...this is all that needs to be said...