Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BIG problems after TC install

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 12:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BIG problems after TC install

Guys.. I feel like crying.. Installed the TC today.. Got it all finished up.. left the car on the stands and started it.. the rear wheels wouldnt even roll with it being off the ground.. we are grounded right now cause the grommet for the dipstick has to be replaced, its leaking.. but tomorrow we are taking another crack at it.. what in the world could it mean if the rear wheels are in the air, the car is in gear, and the tires wont move at all?? we tried all the gears.. i tried flashing the converter (reving it up).. still nothing.. so either the converter isnt turning the input shaft or something.. we would put more fluid in it.. but its already leaking out around the dipstick, and the dipstick is reading above full even after starting the car and "trying" to drive it (in the air).. we only put 4 quarts in it.. maybe we lost a little more than that 6-7 maybe.. but we were going to add as needed after the initial start up.. why wont the converter move the wheels when they dont even have weight on them??? i thought maybe the reason its not sucking up the tranny fluid we put in it, (it up past the dipstick grommet now cause its leaking) is because the tranny wont "go".. hell i dont know.. anyone?? gonna take a crack at it first thing in the AM tomorrow..
Old 01-15-2006, 01:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did the TC slide up in the front pump good I've heard of some people tightening down the tranny and the TC wasn't up in the pump and busted the front pump and housing Yours should move ,somethings got to bind up to do what your saying!Id make sure even if ya had to take it back out that something like I sayed didn't happen!Plus if its doing as you sayed it need to come back out any way!
Old 01-15-2006, 08:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, pull the pair and remove / reseat the converter,
three clicks / steps should be felt as you insert it and
engage the two shafts and finally the pump hub. No
pump, no pressure, no go.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:52 AM
TECH Regular

Something similar happened to me when I still had my stock trans. When we seated the converter we pushed it on to far I believe and broke the front pump. The car wouldnt move at all. So we replaced the front pump then we seated the converter properly and it worked fine.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:44 AM
11 Second Club

question.. how would I know if the pump is bad now?? i can take the TC back out and reseat.. but i would hate to do all the work again, and then find out that even though the converter is in and seated that the pump is bad.. And I know now that the TC is in too far.. he used a rubber mallet and tapped it back on the input shaft.. more than the 1/8th inch spacing the write up i found called for also, how can having it in "too far" cause a problem. if you push the converter back onto the shaft.. connect the tranny to the engine.. then when your bolting the converter to the flexplate it should pull it forward to where it needs to be.. I dont see how it could be seated improperly.. how could you bolt it up to the flywheels unless its sitting right where it needs to???

Last edited by 1BAD98TA; 01-15-2006 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pull the trans cooler upper line from the radiator and
if you get a mess, it's pumping.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:05 PM
11 Second Club

Ok.. leak is fixed.. car at operating temp.. tranny stick reads full.. even though I have no idea how it could be full since we didnt add all that much fluid.. popped off one of the tranny lines and NOTHING.. not even a drip.. Front pump??? also, there is a slight tapping sound coming from inside the bellhousing.. almost sounds like a rocker tap.. I might just tow it over to the tranny shop and let them have at it..
Old 01-15-2006, 02:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeap sounds like the front pump! problem that happens ya don't get them seated good and when ya tighten the bell housing bolts it tightens down and the convertor hub is to far out and carck but once it bust it will go on up thats why ya can pull it to the flywheel a tighten it these pumps are aluminum so the bust easy if there not on the front pump shaft correct!