Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuddle users inside please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 12:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuddle users inside please!

For those of you running Fuddles, how is the mid-top end pull compared to other converters out there? Are all Fuddle converters going to perform similiarly, just being dependent on the different stall/str? What I mean is, TCI/Yank/etc have many different models, all which perform differently as the RPM range changes (ie. Yank's SY4000 vs SS4000 vs PT4000).

Reason I ask is because I've been told that, at least within Yank's line, the PT has the hardest/strongest pull up to the redline compared to their other converters. Now if I order a Fuddle 4000 w/ a 2.2 STR (same as the PT4k), where will that fall/how will it compare?

I guess, the ultimate question is.....are all Fuddles made the same (in ways that affect performance), just with a different stall & str?

Last edited by TheDIZZ01; 02-11-2006 at 12:47 AM.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All Fuddles are manufactured in the same way, but not all are equal.

Yank make their own internals whereas Fuddle use GM internals. I would not expect a YPT4000 to perform identically to an FP4000 although both are rated the same stall RPM. It depends mostly on point of maximum pumping efficiency.

Generally, as you go up in stall, you gain STR but lose efficiency. You can mix and match internal bits to bring the efficiency up in a higher stall converter at the cost of streetability and STR. It is, more or less, a linear curve of stall RPM vs. STR.

Ultimately, you want the stall RPM that offers the best compromise between efficiency and STR. Deviate from that and drivability can be compromised unless you have an esoteric setup with special needs.

For example, if you race from a roll, you would want high stall RPM, low STR resulting in higher efficiency. If you race from a dig, you want high stall RPM, high STR resulting in lower efficiency. You can't have both ends of the stick.

From my observations, its rare for converters rated 4000+ to actually generate peak torque multiplication at that RPM without some major input torque under 4000RPM to begin with or a trans brake. An NA stocker just aint gonna do it.