Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got a 4L80E for the Z

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 12:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XxXTransAmXxX
The 4L80e is a HEAVY **** matter of fact it is the heaviest on the market in a general transmission, 4 speed wise goes...You do know the 4L60e can be built to handle anything the 4L80e can throw at it, and have money in your pocket, and no need for any kind of modification right, and not have near the rotational mass of the 4L80e?
I have not seen ONE 4L60E handle more then a pass or two in a low 10 sec car
Old 02-22-2006, 12:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So are you disagreeing with an ASE Master Certified Tech, who's a Master GM tech as well? The weak parts to the 4L60 are the sunshell, and the sprags, ifyou are paranoid you can even beef the planetaries....other than that it's clutches....that get beefed
Old 02-22-2006, 12:38 PM
10 Second Club

So are you disagreeing with an ASE Master Certified Tech, who's a Master GM tech as well? The weak parts to the 4L60 are the sunshell, and the sprags, ifyou are paranoid you can even beef the planetaries....other than that it's clutches....that get beefed
Yes... I sure am. Find one on this board for me It is nice in "theory" that they will hold... I would have to see it to believe it
Old 02-22-2006, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

Ok let me poll everyone and have them bring their 4L60's in for inspection that's been rebuilt and "trashed" because of mods, and see if everything was assembled to spec, as well as the weak points were paid attention to right of the bat, and replaced with the stronger parts...Seriously cmon "find one on this board" Oooook....

Do you build transmissions, or are you an ASE tech? If not then how can you justify anything more than an opinion as to what you believe to be true or not....WHY WOULD YOU want a 4L60e, then buy a lightweight flywheel, and clutch setup, then a lightweight driveshaft, and so on, just to add more weight in a main driveline component, it CAN BE BUILT to handle that, otherwise why do you not see people offering Direct conversions for a 4L60e?
Old 02-22-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

I chock alot of "short tranny lifes after a perf. build" up to not doing the required measurements for clearances...most transmissions when you put aftermarket kit in it, you remove the cushion plates in the clutch packs, I am almost certain some "half-***" shops do this, and then do nothing to replace the amount of space just removed, you should put another steel in it's place, to maintain spec throughout the transmission....if all measurements are not done, and selective thrust washers, and pressureplates, etc... are used correctly then no it's not gonna last with that much of a load being put on it....also was the servo checked out to be in spec, and the pin the correct length all of these fall into play on a failed transmission....
Old 02-22-2006, 12:51 PM
10 Second Club

Ok let me poll everyone and have them bring their 4L60's in for inspection that's been rebuilt and "trashed" because of mods, and see if everything was assembled to spec, as well as the weak points were paid attention to right of the bat, and replaced with the stronger parts...Seriously cmon "find one on this board" Oooook....

Do you build transmissions, or are you an ASE tech? If not then how can you justify anything more than an opinion as to what you believe to be true or not....WHY WOULD YOU want a 4L60e, then buy a lightweight flywheel, and clutch setup, then a lightweight driveshaft, and so on, just to add more weight in a main driveline component, it CAN BE BUILT to handle that, otherwise why do you not see people offering Direct conversions for a 4L60e?
Don't talk about it... Be about it I had a fully built 4L60E in my car... hell i even had the Viper drum that cracked under my 375rwhp cam only car

I would LOVE to run a 4L60E if it would hold... but I have not seen one do it. (especially with a power adder and a full wieght car) I tell you what... build one, put some street miles on it, run it at the track for a year with out rebuilding it and then post up about it and you will sell A LOT of transmissions

Last edited by DEEZ98Z; 02-22-2006 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:54 PM
Staging Lane

I chock alot of "short tranny lifes after a perf. build" up to not doing the required measurements for clearances...most transmissions when you put aftermarket kit in it, you remove the cushion plates in the clutch packs, I am almost certain some "half-***" shops do this, and then do nothing to replace the amount of space just removed, you should put another steel in it's place, to maintain spec throughout the transmission....if all measurements are not done, and selective thrust washers, and pressureplates, etc... are used correctly then no it's not gonna last with that much of a load being put on it....also was the servo checked out to be in spec, and the pin the correct length all of these fall into play on a failed transmission....
Are you offering to build one for a test??
Old 02-22-2006, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

"It has begun!" -Shang Tsung
Old 02-22-2006, 03:10 PM
Launching!

I don't normally post much in here but let me tell you about 460LE's. I blew my stock tranny twice on a baby cam (224). I bought a Rossler tranny. After getting the Rossler rebuilt twice ( blown both times by a 150 shot of juice), I gave up on the 460LE and Rossler. Read the fine print with Rossler, they only guarantee the tranny to 450 HP and only will only provide replacement parts if you take the tranny to them (wherever the f*** they are). I am going with a 480LE. I could have gone with a TH400 but am lazy and don't want to have to shift.

If anyone (sponsor or not) can build a 460 that can stand up to nitrous, I will be first in line to buy one.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Do you build transmissions, or are you an ASE tech? If not then how can you justify anything more than an opinion as to what you believe to be true or not....
Feel free to disregard my opinion as I am not an ASE tech, but for each person who has run low - mid 10s in his daily driver and had the tranny last one full season, I can show you five whose tranny's did not last and they all came from shops with ASE techs and some pretty damn savy hi performance builders. If you can build a 60e that will last a couple seasons of 550+ RWHP turning at 6800 rpm, then build them and start enjoying the profits. There is a market for it.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Red Dragoness

If anyone (sponsor or not) can build a 460 that can stand up to nitrous, I will be first in line to buy one.

We already tried that Laura, remember? It (the 60) only lasted for one season, and one event on "the big shot".....LOL

You wont have to worry soon........I gotcha covered

Last edited by Dutch SS; 02-22-2006 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:51 PM
TECH Regular

I have rebuilt my 60E twice, that is why I opted for the 80E, the 60s just don't hold up.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

what year 4l80e did you buy?
Old 02-22-2006, 10:39 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

99 and up I hope!!!
Old 02-22-2006, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a 80e in an 00' firebird. Lots of little stuff that need to be done to get it to work. Programmming the computer still needs to be done on top of the speartech adapter kit. I had ken at ls1edit do one for me for free. It worked great. Just replaced the trans portion of the software tune, but left the rest of my fbody tune it tact. You need to modify the shifter linkage as well if you use the stock shifter. I paid 2000 for my built trans as well. I would also sugest some 90 degree cooler line fittings.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:30 PM
Restricted User

WHY WOULD YOU want a 4L60e, then buy a lightweight flywheel, and clutch setup, then a lightweight driveshaft, and so on, just to add more weight in a main driveline component, it CAN BE BUILT to handle that, otherwise why do you not see people offering Direct conversions for a 4L60e?
WTF? Why would you want a flywheel period if your using an Auto, wouldnt you want a Flexplate? Maybe this is new technology? FWIW, 4L60E conversions are available for those enthusiasts to put in an OD "E" series trans in their ride, save some gas, have an electronic package, and basically an updated "hotrod."

Dude, aren't you still in the course and not yet a Master Cert ASE Tech? If your not, dont post some BS theory of this magnitude please. I seen you crack in a couple other threads, and always the same talk. Build this 4L60E you keep talking about or dont post the ****. I'll test it if your not up to the power at hand needed to blow the bitches up.

FWIW, I am not a Master Tech and dont care if whomever builds a trans is or not, as long as it holds up to the hype or $ spent. I've also blown a stock trans, and a CMotorsports Level 3 trans. Its amazing what nitrous off the line will do to a not-so-capable trans. Since I dont build transmissions, or take them apart to see if they are up to spec, I merely install them, and run them.

Charlie
Old 02-22-2006, 11:56 PM
9 Second Club

I broke hard parts....it didnt matter about clearances as i broke em half with 700+ to the tires and then hit it with a 100 shot...3850# @ 3.23 gears..after 700hp, a 4ll60e is done.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:56 PM
Staging Lane

XxXTransAmXxX,

I take it that you are saying you can build a bullet proof 4l60e?
Old 02-23-2006, 12:09 AM
Launching!

I tell yall what, i got $1200.00 in a rebuilt 4L60E with Trans Go Shift kit do yall think it will last with my setup or will bust into peaces? I wanna know someone that is currently running a 4L60E with 460+ rwhp. I have a bad feeling once i install the 3800 stall i'm gonna run in it, its gonna bust. Alot of Tq on a 4L60E means
Old 02-23-2006, 01:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

I got a chryoed buitl 4l80e for sale brand new with a yank 3400 stall its yours for the taking if anyone needs it $3000 obo

Last edited by fash00; 02-23-2006 at 02:15 AM.