Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got a 4L80E for the Z

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 03:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XxXTransAmXxX
The 4L80e is a HEAVY **** matter of fact it is the heaviest on the market in a general transmission, 4 speed wise goes...You do know the 4L60e can be built to handle anything the 4L80e can throw at it, and have money in your pocket, and no need for any kind of modification right, and not have near the rotational mass of the 4L80e?
you are wronge....

So are you disagreeing with an ASE Master Certified Tech, who's a Master GM tech as well?
YES

put up or shut up time...
lets see all the low 10 sec 4l60s lastin a full season... Or are you just the NEXT guy in a long list of guys that will come with this BS claim, trying to sell your stage 1,000,000 tranny, and then play the excuse game when the big guns on this site start turning your trannys into shrapnel...

If you come unprepared, with NO proof, your just guessing(ASE cerification means you are good at taking tests)
Old 02-23-2006, 07:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jaberwaki
you are wronge....

YES

put up or shut up time...
lets see all the low 10 sec 4l60s lastin a full season... Or are you just the NEXT guy in a long list of guys that will come with this BS claim, trying to sell your stage 1,000,000 tranny, and then play the excuse game when the big guns on this site start turning your trannys into shrapnel...

If you come unprepared, with NO proof, your just guessing(ASE cerification means you are good at taking tests)
Im with this guy. put up or shut up. send one out to GB MD and if we can't break it in 50 passes we will pay double! we have 9.5 to 10.0 3600lb street tire cars that will hurt your feelings.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

No doubt the 4L80E is a lot tougher. We had one in a rollback car carrier with a gas 502 in front of it. We pulled LONG hills loaded to about 15k lbs at 75-80mph and never really had problems... however we ran an extra fluid cooler and a deep trans pan. The trans failed with about 2,000 miles on it, was replaced under waranty, and never gave us another problem.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Z396
I tell yall what, i got $1200.00 in a rebuilt 4L60E with Trans Go Shift kit do yall think it will last with my setup or will bust into peaces? I wanna know someone that is currently running a 4L60E with 460+ rwhp. I have a bad feeling once i install the 3800 stall i'm gonna run in it, its gonna bust. Alot of Tq on a 4L60E means
I had over 460 hp on my 4L60E and it was built, and I blew it, spend your money on a better tranny.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Veteran

4L60E can be built to handle alot of power but they do have their limitations. This is something you need to address with who is building your transmission. Finish Line Transmission can make some very strong 4L60E transmissions but even Chuck the builder knows the limit of them. Thats why he asks alot of questions about your setup before just selling you a transmission.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by maddboost
4L60E can be built to handle alot of power but they do have their limitations. This is something you need to address with who is building your transmission. Finish Line Transmission can make some very strong 4L60E transmissions but even Chuck the builder knows the limit of them. Thats why he asks alot of questions about your setup before just selling you a transmission.
I bought a 4L80E from finish line transmissions, not a 4L60E
Old 02-24-2006, 12:47 AM
Restricted User

Guess the Master Tech Bulletproof 4L60E builder dont wanna play? Damn it.

I may be swapping to the 80E, waiting to see if I need to retain street gearing (if our track closes on island) or keep it strip/street duty.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:32 AM
TECH Resident

I am talking about an everyday street driven car, not somethin you put in a car to run down the track if so why are you wasting time on a OD transmission anyway, why not go with a 350, or 400...It's funny how people call someone names because they are a tech, I never once said I would build one, nor did I say it would hold to a monster, but not everyone has a high HP car on here either, most are bolt on cars, which does not justify the added weight of a 4L80e....of course no OD tranny's gonna wanna hold up to a big motor with a power adder, don't argue if ya haven't been inside of one...OVER-RUNNING clutches have 2 frictions, and 2 steels that's it, so you tell me that an OD tranny will last at all, ya for a bit...If your so worried about tranny lasting for your car then don't waste the money on the mod's needed for the 4L80, and save money for elsewhere in your ride and go with the Non-OD setup
Old 02-24-2006, 06:35 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The overrun frictions are only used in manual 1st,2nd and 3rd. They are only used for added holding power and never used in OD. I guess you missed that class!!!
PS don't come on here and talk about 3 pinion planets that have never been produced. Pay attention in class because there are some pretty smart gear heads in this class!!!!
Old 02-24-2006, 08:32 AM
Staging Lane

The 4L80e is a HEAVY **** matter of fact it is the heaviest on the market in a general transmission, 4 speed wise goes...You do know the 4L60e can be built to handle anything the 4L80e can throw at it, and have money in your pocket, and no need for any kind of modification right, and not have near the rotational mass of the 4L80e?
When I got old I have a hard time remembering what I said in the past........ but not in two days! If you have more than 450-500 FWHP It pays to make the move.

There is a new generation of cars out there. Powerglides just won't cut it anymore. Big power and overdrive is the future. T400 with gear vendors or 4L80E's.

Why ride around in your 900fwhp car with air conditioning and the stereo jamming only to listening to your engine turn its self out of the frame and get 10 mpg??

Last edited by Lethal Injection; 02-24-2006 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:38 AM
Launching!

I do have a TH-400 out back that isnt broke or nothing. I could have it built and buy a Gear Vendors overdrive later on down the road.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:49 AM
TECH Addict

I am talking about an everyday street driven car, not somethin you put in a car to run down the track if so why are you wasting time on a OD transmission anyway, why not go with a 350, or 400...It's funny how people call someone names because they are a tech, I never once said I would build one, nor did I say it would hold to a monster, but not everyone has a high HP car on here either, most are bolt on cars, which does not justify the added weight of a 4L80e....of course no OD tranny's gonna wanna hold up to a big motor with a power adder, don't argue if ya haven't been inside of one...OVER-RUNNING clutches have 2 frictions, and 2 steels that's it, so you tell me that an OD tranny will last at all, ya for a bit...If your so worried about tranny lasting for your car then don't waste the money on the mod's needed for the 4L80, and save money for elsewhere in your ride and go with the Non-OD setup
You sure sounded like you could build the badest 4l60e and now your stepping back...

Welcome to ls1tech!! What good is a high performance trans in this board that would go to the track of have the intentions to go? If that is your point, then get your *** over to another board, like kidhaulers.com. Also, many ppl want a heavy duty od trans for a strip/street car and THAT is why there is a 4l60e swap, becuz the th400/350 is nice on acceleration but not on gas mileage.

I guess, i have a high horsepower motor, 408ci, 600hp+ at the crank, and i have gone through my 4l three times already...never gone to that track since im a conv. and no rollbar. The 4l60 DOES have its limitations and even under stock conditions, they have been known to let go.... as a tech, im sure you are aware of the limitations.

You can on this site blabbing your tehc prowness and got burned. thats fine, just maek sure you learn from that and learn to phrase your words better bra, cant come on and talk god without backing it up mang!!!

Oh, OD trans can be made to hold big power, it probably wont be a 4l60 but a 4l80e for sure... search for a member called parish. FLT built 4l80e, 1000rwhp/rwtrq through an od. 408ci turbo 5k lbs silverado....

it can be built and for ppl like me, we can have our cake and eat it too.... money well spent.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

In the defense of the 4L60E, if built to handle a decent amount of power, it will last if you know how to take care of it. Don't spray out of the hole and don't spray through the shifts...the two most harsh things you can do to a transmission.

If you want to argue about track times using this method, don't use a 4L60E. Simple as that. Build a Hi-Po TH350 or TH400 and call it done.

My .02
Old 02-24-2006, 01:26 PM
9 Second Club

I am an everyday streetcar and a 4l60e will not hold my car daily driving and weekends at the track. A 4l80e will
Old 02-26-2006, 12:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

I am talking about an everyday street driven car, not somethin you put in a car to run down the track...
Well guess what, lots of people on this board looking at transmissions fall into this group, 10 and 11 second daily driven street cars. Driven to work on Monday to Friday and driven at the track on Saturday & Sunday. A lot of these cars with ported heads and a decent cam put down 450 RWHP. A 4l60e can be made to hold up to this, but it is not easy. FLP, Rock-On and others on this board have built them. Now throw a 100 shot on it for fun at the track (or look at cars with a blower/turbo) and number of 4L60e that survive starts to really drop.

I apologize for jumping on your case; I normally try not to argue or have negative discussions with the members. Good luck with your ASE classes. Building a racable set-up is not the same as rebuilding a family car transmission. Please feel free to join us here to learn from our experience what they don't teach you in your classes, and to share your basic knowledge with our other members who need the basics taught in your class.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:07 PM
TECH Addict

The 4L80E may not be for everyone, but this board has SOME fast cars and merciless drivers that don't want to baby anything. The 4L60E was not made for them. For those who have serious torque and want to play hard... NEVER SEND A BOY TO DO A MAN'S JOB.

Old 02-26-2006, 06:24 PM
Restricted User

XxxxtransxxxxX .... got the heads up on another thread where he asked Joe to back him up, Joe replied with something to the effect of: the 60E has its limitations, and a lot of the guys on here have already met them, or surpassed them, the 80E is a much stronger trans. IIRC Joe also correct the Master Tech Student on his planetaries counting too.

FWIW, I do run a TH350. I want the 80E so I can have the best of both worlds. Better yet, 6L80E would be great once its sorted out.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:52 PM
11 Second Club

Mine hasnt broke and last season i sprayed through the shifts and from the hole. guess im lucky
Old 02-26-2006, 07:34 PM
9 Second Club

you are in the 11s...thats well within the 4l60E's ability
Old 02-26-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Resident

The planetary can make 5 forward, and 2 reverse...Not independent gears, but one can be an overdrive, or underdrive...I know it has limitations, never said it didn't....but for street cars, that people drive that don't put big power adders to their car then a 4L60e can be built to withstand it...