Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter off ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter off ?

At first, I thoght the tranny was going out in Reverse, but after driving it a few times, I noticed that once it got in reverse (or any other gear) that it would drive fine. The shifter seems to be loose, or off its normal adjustment.

Trouble is, I dont know how to get to the linkage to see what has happend.

I put it in park, but it stays in reverse now, lol. I just push it up to park then bring it back down to drive in reverse. Neutral is fine. Drive is fine, but I have to push it up past OD into Neutral and back down to OD to actually GET it into OD.

Has anyone had this problem? What could it be? A loose bolt on the linkage? I have honestly never looked at it so I dont know what it might be or how to access that part of the tranny.

Otherwise it works fine, so I am assuming something has just came loose. Well, at least I hope that that is all that it is. I was thinking that my TQ arm has seemed to work up some slack in it somewhere as it is cluncking pretty hard on gear changes now, so could that of knocked somthing loose on a hard shift?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:58 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have a loose likage arm or a cable that's on it's way out to lunch! Jack the car up or find a qualified person to do so and figure out what's loose!!
Old 03-02-2006, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by da wrench
You have a loose likage arm or a cable that's on it's way out to lunch! Jack the car up or find a qualified person to do so and figure out what's loose!!
Ok, can you get to both of those from under the car? And what side are they located on? I will check to see if anything is loose, but how do I know if the cable is shot?
Old 03-02-2006, 09:49 PM
10 Second Club

Check on the driver sound of the trans oil pan where the shift cable linkage attaches to the trans itself. There is a small bracket that is held in place by two of the pan bolts so check to make sure they are tight. Also check to make sure to check the actual linkage (on the trans itself) where the shift cable connects is in the furthest point forward with the gear selector in Park. It will make sense when you're looking at it.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
Check on the driver sound of the trans oil pan where the shift cable linkage attaches to the trans itself. There is a small bracket that is held in place by two of the pan bolts so check to make sure they are tight. Also check to make sure to check the actual linkage (on the trans itself) where the shift cable connects is in the furthest point forward with the gear selector in Park. It will make sense when you're looking at it.
Thanks! I will check it out tomorrow. I hope that that is all it is.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:59 AM
On The Tree

I'm having this problem too, what was wrong with yours?
Old 04-01-2007, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TTT having similar issue have my trans swap... cable was always fine, but now it's off a little, there's some play where I can move the shifter handle w/out pushing any button in, and it needs to be pushed really hard up to force into park (had a ghost riding incident yesterday only the car didn't make me aware of it lol)

is the only solution a new cable? or is there an adjustment under the center console?
Old 04-01-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

n/m, found the adjustment on the underside, tightened the cable up and it's all good now