Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Automatic 6 speed

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 07:39 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
Sorry guys thats my bad, I clicked Z06 and then it listed the 6-speed auto under features, I didn't realize it only applied to the Coupe/Convert.

No biggie there guy.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
Why does GM rate it's maximum power inputs so low?
From what my friend told me (GM Powertrain Engineer), it has to do with the internals not being strong enough to hold gear changes from 6500 (for example) down to 3000 (for example). It is a huge inertial change and what they have seen cause failures. They try to beef up the parts, but the bean counters have the final say. Luckily the aftermarket will build beefier parts.

Engine HP is not impressive and I'm guessing the gearbox torque reflects the torque converter multiplier.
Yes, it is the combined torque the trans will see coming (post converter).
Old 03-29-2006, 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flame Throwing SS
From what my friend told me (GM Powertrain Engineer), it has to do with the internals not being strong enough to hold gear changes from 6500 (for example) down to 3000 (for example). It is a huge inertial change and what they have seen cause failures. They try to beef up the parts, but the bean counters have the final say. Luckily the aftermarket will build beefier parts.
With that in mind, wouldn't an aftermarket converter with a good shift extension be easier on the trans in that respect? I have a shift extension of around 4800 I think.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
With that in mind, wouldn't an aftermarket converter with a good shift extension be easier on the trans in that respect? I have a shift extension of around 4800 I think.
Not really.
The 4800 rpm is the ENGINE rpm (and converter input shaft rpm). The Tranny still drops to the lower rpm based upon the gears inside of it Also, the long shift extension likely adds some torque multiplication on the 1-2 upshift so more torque is actually being fed into the tranny where it has the biggest drop.

The higher stall also adds more stress at launch. The stock converter probably has an STR of less than 2.0. A good high stall unit will have an STR of greater than 2.0. Combined with higher input torque from the higher stall speed, it will put more stress on the tranny at launch.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

so the transmission is not good?
Old 03-30-2006, 02:12 AM
11 Second Club

if one could be built to handle the power and fit in a F-body, id want one

natronathon - you need to hit the track again, how long you been sporting the 13.5
Old 03-30-2006, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LiquidFire350
if one could be built to handle the power and fit in a F-body, id want one

natronathon - you need to hit the track again, how long you been sporting the 13.5
Hahaha....

Been since late july i think... Our track opens here in two weeks i think, so it shouldn't be too much longer... Tires are worse now, so times prolly won't get any better until i get my 9inch and start running drag radials! Wow buddy I like how those rims look!

Last edited by natronathon; 03-30-2006 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:06 PM
TECH Regular

Does anyone happen to have the Escalade A6 trannsmission physical specs? Since its a stand alone computer system that should make the swap pretty straight foward. That with the exception of the bellhousing, crossmember, and maybe a different length tq arm, but would be well worth it. Is the A6 triptronic style or is it still all mechanically controlled with the shift lever?
Old 03-30-2006, 04:34 PM
TECH Junkie

The 6L80E was designed to fit where a 4L80E fits, it was meant as a replacement unit in newer vehicles ... and since those vehicles chassis were not going to change much at all, those were the design constraints for the 6L80E. The bellhousing is the same as an LSx and the length is the same as well. Yes, I believe it is capable of "tiptronic" (VW term, not GM) shifting.