Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car threw a P1870 code months ago I got back from the Shop today and it does not move

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006 | 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Unhappy Car threw a P1870 code months ago I got back from the Shop today and it does not move

My current Transmission mods are a TCI ssf3500 and B&M Transcooler and a Speed Inc tune. Only 32,000 on the odomoter. The converter has only been driven for more than 3,000 miles.
My car threw a p1870 code months ago and the trans temperature gauge was reading hot over 210 after driving it more than 30 minutes on the highway or street. I only drove the car like this no more than 5 times.

I finally took it to a local tranmission shop by the house. The owner of the shop said that the P1870 code was cause a Valve body wear. So he fixed the valve body and returned the car back to me. He charged me $450.00 for manual labor, parts, oversized valve body and Transmission oil Change. I test drove the car no more than 1 day and it threw the code again and the transmission temperatures continued to rise.

So I took it back to him and he said that it was probably the Converter Clutch gone bad, since TCI converters are made of Raybestos material which tends to slip and wear out. So he sends out the Converter and gets it repaired with a woven clutch which is not suppose to slip at all. He ends up charging $500.00 for labor and parts.

Today I drove the car for an hour or two and the car seemed to be ok. As soon as I had the chance I took it on the highway and I gave it a little gas and it seemed to Redline and not want to move as soon as I hit 60 mph. Before I knew it I was giving it gas and it would barely move at all. I barely made it home and I was giving it alot of gas, since it would barely move at all.

My only problem is that I asked the guy that if the car would would it be covered by his warranty. All he said is that he was sure that it would work and that he does not think that racing parts were covered.

What do I do? What the hell is going on with my tranny? I am about to give up on my LS1.
Old 04-08-2006 | 12:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What is the point of even asking a question on this topic? Nobody ever knows the right answer about transmissions.
Old 04-08-2006 | 09:01 PM
10 Second Club

First,you need to understand automatic transmission problems are hard to diagnose over the internet. That code is fairly common with these trans and big stall converters.

Second, run as fast as possible away from that shop and give Chuck at FLT a call. He's a sponsor here and is probably one of the most respected 4L60E builders. He happens to be in your area as well.
Old 04-08-2006 | 09:03 PM
10 Second Club

Here's a link. http://www.finishlinetrans.com/
Old 04-08-2006 | 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for that Link Man. I dont know too much about transmission and all.

Quick Reply: Car threw a P1870 code months ago I got back from the Shop today and it does not move