Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting a TCI 3800...Tune???

Old 04-15-2006, 11:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Getting a TCI 3800...Tune???

well my tci super streetfighter 3800 stall shall becoming in soon...does anyone know what i should do after i get it installed..such as a tune or w/e..i'm not to sure..also how and where could i go to get a tune???
thanks
Old 04-16-2006, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

You will probably need a tune with that stall. You can put it in and give it a go but I think you will be hitting the rev limiter with that bad boy. But try it anyway.
Make sure you install a good cooler with that streetfighter before you drive it.
As for local shop's in your area someone will point you in the right direction.
Have fun!
Old 04-16-2006, 10:06 AM
12 Second Club

so basically, what does the tune do exactly..does it only.. set the rev limiter to a different point, or does is it do other things too??
and why do you think i'll hit the rev limiter?
sorry som many questions..just trying to make sure i'm doing the right thing, and understanding everything too..
thanks
Old 04-16-2006, 02:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MidwayAvenue
so basically, what does the tune do exactly..does it only.. set the rev limiter to a different point, or does is it do other things too??
and why do you think i'll hit the rev limiter?
sorry som many questions..just trying to make sure i'm doing the right thing, and understanding everything too..
thanks
You're going to need a tune. You'll need to adjust shift points, mess around with torque management, change line pressure (makes for nice firm shifts), change the "load" (whatever that means, I'm no tuner but that's what I had to do.) When I went in reverse then came to a stop the car would sometimes stall out and die. Same thing if I started to go with traffic then had to hit the brakes, car would stall out. Got the tune, not a problem since. Kind of embarassing stalling out an auto. Not sure where any tuners are in your area, but if you want to drive to Brandon/Tampa go here: www.revxtreme.com. They can take care of all your needs.

Here's an example: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...41#post4632441
Old 04-16-2006, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

A tune will adjust the shift point's so you go from 1-2 then 2-3 at your optimum
rpm's. The reason I think you will hit the rev limiter is because that seem's to be pretty common from the guy's on this site that have stall's rated from around 3400 on up.
I have a fuddle 3000 with a 2.0 str and didn't need a tune with mine. Seem's to shift right around 5800 to 5900 rpm every time.
I have read of more then one person who said their car was just fine after a 3500 stall upgrade, but that seem's to be the exception rather then the rule.
At any rate, install it and give it a try. If your shifting at or above 5800 rpm and before you hit the rev limiter you will be fine.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine doesn't come close to hitting the limiter. I'm even going to have to bump my shift RPM's up a bit to get the most out of the powerband. I have an SS3600. This doesn't seem to be common, though I don't have the stock transmission anymore.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Blackhawk. What are you shifting at right now?
Old 04-17-2006, 12:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To me it's only 1st gear that goes early sometimes (but not every time). I can't tell by the stock tach but it doesn't sound like it revs all the way. Maybe it depends on traction?

Search this Thread