Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

would it be okay to remove the "guide pins" in the flywheel upon re-installation?help

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2002, 11:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default would it be okay to remove the "guide pins" in the flywheel upon re-installation?help

I just changed my clutch but whenI put the flywheel back in, I removed those little stubs that were on it so it would be flush up against the part of the tranny that I mounted it to.
Would this cause a slight vibration around low RPM's?
Old 04-29-2002, 09:09 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Re: would it be okay to remove the "guide pins" in the flywheel upon re-installation?help

no vibrations from that. My pins have been gone for a LONG time.

Tony
Old 04-29-2002, 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: would it be okay to remove the "guide pins" in the flywheel upon re-installation?help

Thanks, I really dont know what it could be then.
Old 04-30-2002, 02:45 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, I took those out to install my Ram PP, and never had a problem....

Vibration could be from not properly tq'ing down the flywheel. If you're not paying attention, you can bolt down the flywheel cockeyed and it won't sit flush. I have caught this at the last minute before bolting up the PP.
Old 04-30-2002, 06:12 PM
FormerVendor

with the stock clutch, the pressure plate drives against those pins since the pp bolts are not shouldered. They really ought to be there unless you change to another style cover.
Old 05-01-2002, 08:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I took the pins out to put in a Ram PP and disk. I do have a very slight low rpm vib, I think it's around the 2300 rpm range and lasts for maybe a couple hundred r's then is smooth. Haven't pulled the car out of storage yet so can't be more specific. I did run the car up to ~6k and there is no other vibes.

I doubt it is the removal of the pins causing it since they balance out each other and weigh next to nothing in relation to the rest of the moving assembly. saw a thread last fall that said sometimes the switch to a hp clutch can in some cases give slight vibes.

<small>[ May 01, 2002, 08:11 AM: Message edited by: DaveSchott ]</small>

Quick Reply: would it be okay to remove the "guide pins" in the flywheel upon re-installation?help