Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH400/350 Trans fluid type?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 06:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TH400/350 Trans fluid type?

Is everyone using Type F trans fluid in their TH400/350 transmissions? Is that pretty much the recomeended type or does anyone have an opinion on a better one to use? Just curious why the Mercon instead of Dexron or a synthetic like Amsoil?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 06-02-2006, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

synthetics are the best, lowest drag highest thermal stability, the one that is i have always liked and never seen break down is mobil 1. but if you dont do synthetic go to the chevy dealer and ask for dexron six it retros all gm tranny's and has the least oxidation, highest thermal stability and all the good stuff. it is made for hte 6l80e but can still be used. the counter guy may never have heard of it couse they usually aren't the brightest but it does exist and is supposed to be the $hit according to gm.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:18 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah, I thought about that to. But what gets me is most of the guys building high performance tranny's like Rossler, TCI, etc say to use the Type F fluid and they may not warranty it if anything else is used. So i'm leary about using anything else, that's why I'm looking for as many people's opinions as possible if they are using other fluids and how well it works for them...

Dan
Old 06-03-2006, 01:20 AM
10 Second Club

funny I was just searching the other night for this answer. It seems thats most use type f and only a few disagree
Old 06-03-2006, 04:55 AM
TECH Resident

I actually talked to Carl Rossler in person a couple weeks ago and he told me to use a good quality fluid, like TCI, or B&M trick shift. He also said a mix of mercon and type F works too.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:48 PM
10 Second Club

Hmmm, I'm gonna call Rossler back because who ever I talked to said Type F. TCI told my buddy the same thing. I just want to use whatever is best to use, no fluid has been put in yet. I remember back in the day when B&M trick shift was the stuff everbody used .

Dan
Old 06-03-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Type F fluid has higher frictional holding ability compared to Dexron
(it doesn't have more "friction", but it allows clutch/band linings to hold tighter).
Old 06-03-2006, 08:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by joecar
Type F fluid has higher frictional holding ability compared to Dexron
(it doesn't have more "friction", but it allows clutch/band linings to hold tighter).

Hope I'm not hijacking here if so (im sorry) but I'm having issues with my TH400. Its slipping too much in 3rd gear. I put Dexron in and this was the result. I'm thinking of draining it all out and just use type F. If what joecar says is true, I may have just found my problem.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:17 PM
10 Second Club

Hope that is your problem and this easily resolves it.

I'm just gonna go ahead with the Type F then, sounds like that might be the safest bet. I'll double check with Rossler though.

Dan
Old 10-06-2017, 12:17 PM
Teching In

Hey ya'll thanks in advance! In my fairly new rock bouncer I have a LS W/Turbo low miles 400 reverse manual valve body trans with a Winters Shifter. I'm not sure but I believe it has std ATF Fluid in it now, its on the low side and I want to add fluid and get it back to the full mark. Should I add std ATF or can I top it off with what sounds like a better fluid Type F, does it hurt to mix these 2 fluids? Thanks for any input on this! Bryan
Old 10-06-2017, 12:20 PM
Teching In

Default Fluid for turbo 400

This is my Bouncer,
Old 10-09-2017, 05:54 PM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

Type "F" oil was for when there was asbestos in the clutch material (not since 1978). Type "F" oil has a better "static" hold on clutches. The forward is a static clutch, comes on once and stays on till you go out of a forward gear. Type "F" oil has a lower holding power though when used on a "dynamic" clutch (3-4) or band (2-4). This was apx. 11% - 14% less holding power in "dynamic" clutch/band applications. And this is according to Borg Warner, Raybestos and GM engineers that I have talked to over the years. The 700R4/4L60E has never had a static clutch problem. Type "F" oil will make it appear that the shifts are firmer and that is because the Dexron type of oil has the clutches and or band to start to come on at near the start of the shift, (smoothness) and not as type "F" oil that has the clutches and or band coming on almost all at once at the end of the shift. GM transmissions are lasting longer than ever and part of that is the many upgrades to the Dexron type of oil over the years. You should not use the oil to make the shifts firmer, but to make the transmission live longer.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:22 AM
FormerVendor

Grab you a case of Amsoil Supershift. Its a synthetic type F. It is some of the best stuff on the market.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Tractor fluid for me.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Dex/mercon here. Had my transmission apart recently and the clutches were still new looking (except the intermediate which was from another issue).
Old 10-11-2017, 10:16 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

We have actually done an extensive amount of research on fluid and what works best... When we were testing other fluids to get an idea on what we were up against, Dextron 6 was actually the best out of them all.

from there we worked with NASA Hall Of Famer for Lubricants Engineering, Buck Parker, to develop our own FTI fluid. It took us roughly 2 years to finally perfect the fluid we were aiming for but the results were even better than we could of thought! in Top Dragster car we knocked 15 degrees out of the transmission with a fluid change alone. The fluid is designed to be more consistent over a wider temperature range to make a car more consistent for drag racing. We then started designing it to protect the transmission for high horse power high stress applications such as the radial tire guys, monster trucks, big power drag racers, and big power street cars through the use of several additives. These additives protect against fluid foaming, fluid sheer, fluid compression, and temperature.
If you want to learn more about it feel free to PM me, give us a call, or check it out on our website.

http://ftiperformance.com/High-Perfo...al-F1001PK.htm
info@ftiperformance.com
FTIPerformance.com
FTI Converter build sheet

Quick Reply: TH400/350 Trans fluid type?