Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many washers for Shift kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 10:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many washers for Shift kit

In a couple of days i and a friend will be installing a hd2 transgo shift kit for my 98 camaro z28 a4. ive been reading around about how many washers to install. i hear 2 is a good mid range and 3 will be a more intense shift.
my car is more for street use but i do plan to take it to the drag a couple of times this summer.i dont want to install 2 and regret not going for the 3.

My question is: how many washers do i install? what is the difference in feeling and performance between adding 2 washers and 3 washers.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

I say put 1-2 in and call it good. If I remember correctly those washers are just meant to taylor the shift firmness of the 1-2 shift at part throttle>
Old 06-03-2006, 10:41 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We recommend 2 washers for f-bodies.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:47 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm interested in eventually putting in a shift kit but my car is a daily driver. with these damn 2.73's and corvette rims i can't chirp 2nd gear for the life of me. i'm dying to. i know a shift kit w/2 washers would be able to make this dream a reality, but will installing 2 washers make the car unsafe to drive in the rain? i don't want to be spinning all over the place. at part throttle (say, up to 2200 rpms) does the car shift hard enough to spin out during the rain?

anyone with a transgo shift kit with 2 washers in please let me know how your car handles in the rain. sure i'd love a shift kit, but it's not worth totaling my car or risking death just to get the occasional WOT 1-2 chirp.

i'm basically looking for a car that'll shift hard at half+ throttle but when driving normally it shifts just like normal. i only want those hard shifts when i wanna throw down some power. i drive like i'm 80 years old in the rain...never far above 2000 rpms.

don't mean to hijack the thread but i think this is relevant for performance with 2 washers.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:23 AM
Launching!

ttt...
Old 06-04-2006, 12:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
We recommend 2 washers for f-bodies.

any rreason why you recommend 2 washers? and why not the Three?

EDIT: oh im sorry, its a typo- i ment 3 not 4
*changed the typo*

Last edited by itsmike; 06-04-2006 at 01:30 AM.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:04 AM
TECH Addict

4? there should only be 3 in the kit... 4 options yes: 0,1,2,or 3 washers.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:54 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by itsmike
any rreason why you recommend 2 washers? and why not the Three?

EDIT: oh im sorry, its a typo- i ment 3 not 4
*changed the typo*
That is just how I build them. When I said 2 this means if you are including the gold spring seat as a washer and then 2 of the metal washers under it. With the added washers the 1-2 shift becomes more abusive and I believe it will help you keep the band in there. Also I would not drill the hole for second gear any larger than .82-.93. I build tons of these units and this combination seems to work well. Make sure that you follow the directions closely when adjusting the band clearance with the large gold metal shims as well. I usually get both of them in there but some times it's a little difficult. Good luck with the sk install. Vince.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:44 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
Also I would not drill the hole for second gear any larger than .82-.93.
If you have the larger holes like I do any more than one washer would be overkill. And remember, as has already been stated, the number of washers only affects part-throttle shifting - so you don't have to worry too much about losing control of your car.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:35 AM
Launching!

sounds good, i'll probably go with 2 washers. that seems to be what everyone else thinks is a good idea.

thanks for the info.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:12 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

On all of my units, I do not use any spacers. This is with a .093"-.096" feed hole for 2nd gear, on anything that runs 11.0's or slower. With 10 second vehicles, I recommend a .110" feed hole, and no spacers. The 1-2 part throttle shift should be smooth & slightly quick on the street, but anything more than this, does nothing for the life of the unit, in fact it is harder on the gear train. The shifts should get firmer with more throttle, but firm shifts at light throttle openings, offers no plus' here, only negatives, and remember women hate it.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:00 PM
Launching!

Default How long does the intall take

how long will it take to install the TCI 3500 Stall, tranny cooler, and the shift kit?

my friend who is helping me out has tranny experience. and the tools for it.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:43 PM
Banned

Shouldn't take any longer than two hours for the tc. install, add an hour for the cooler, and give yourself three-four hours for the valve body work...installing the whole kit will take about 6 hours, thats building the pump and drum... hope this helps...Dave
Old 06-05-2006, 11:09 PM
11 Second Club

honestly, if its your first time doing any of that, id say it will take all day. i replaced my TC with the car on a lift, and 2 other people helping me, and it took 7 hours before the car was back on the ground. the shift kit is a different story. i ran into a couple problems (my mistakes) and so it took a bit longer than normal. if you follow the instructions to a tee, it shoudnt take you more than 2 hours to do.

also, make sure you do the torque converter first so you can remove the servos while the trans is out. i know in the goats you cant remove the servos with the trans in the car cause the trans is so close to the body. the F bodies may be different though. the reason why is cause you need to get a part number off a servo to know which color spring to put in later. if you read the instructions, youll see where it asks you what part number servo you have and gives you 3 different springs to put in.