Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone ever had a problem with a yank?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 02:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone ever had a problem with a yank?

if let me know what it was!
Old 09-25-2006, 12:39 AM
TECH Regular

sweet no one?
Old 09-25-2006, 07:31 AM
9 Second Club

There are a couple of peeps I know of that had problems with there converter. But Yank addressed the isuuse and the converters are fine. They gave me great support and I wouldnt hesitate to use them again. As a matter of fact my buddie will be getting a converter from them soon for his 4l80
Old 09-25-2006, 04:40 PM
Launching!

Yank is a top notch outfit that makes, and backs up, a great converter.
Ed
Old 09-25-2006, 06:07 PM
10 Second Club

i just broke a converter foot. i dont know if it was what broke my hardened output shaft, but my flexplate was fine.

since mine broke I was pretty much S.O.L and went and bought a SS4000. dunno when I'll be receiving it.

Last edited by GregWS6&z28; 09-25-2006 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:09 PM
10 Second Club

I had problems with my ST3500 that I bought new about 5 years ago. It was only 8 months into a two year warranty when the converter started making a terrible grinding noise during lock-up. I removed the converter and sent it back to Yank for "warranty" work. They said that the converter had a "warped lock-up clutch" and they would not warranty the damage without more money. After a lot of back-and-forth with Mike, I sent them a check so I could get my car off jackstands. I felt like they held my converter for ransom since it was in pieces and they wouldn't put it back together without money. Shortly after my problem (other people I talked to had the same issues with a substandard lock-up clutches) they got rid of the ST series of converters. As you can imagine I was really pissed off. I recently had the converter refreshed/restalled but sent it to TCI instead and was very happy with the results. I will never deal with them again.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:33 PM
TECH Regular

I have a ST3500 that I loved, I am sending mine back this week since I am changing my setup. Mine was also bought new. Will see what happens, but so far zero complaints.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:35 PM
9 Second Club

I had a yank py3600 the converter clutch fell apart after 2 months they would not warranty it
Old 09-26-2006, 01:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Hugger
I had problems with my ST3500 that I bought new about 5 years ago. It was only 8 months into a two year warranty when the converter started making a terrible grinding noise during lock-up.
Mine did the same thing. My car is long gone but I have the convertor sitting in it's box in my garage. I wonder if it's even worth sending in to be looked at. The funny thing is that when I bought it (used) I sent it to Yank to be checked out and they updated the clutch. About a month later is when the issues started. I know they don't make the ST3500 any more but I hear the SS series of convertors are much better.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:53 PM
12 Second Club

why would they not warranty these messed up converters?
Old 09-26-2006, 02:07 PM
10 Second Club

beats me. but the foot tore off mine (picture above) and somehow I have a busted built trans with a busted hardened 4L65E output shaft. I was willing to send my old converter back for some kind of "discount" or what you say on a new $700 converter but Yank didnt want to do that.

from what I hear is this...
Yank= popular and well performing brand with not so great customer service. Pricey
Precision IND. VIg= not as Popular as Yank, but a decent performer and very pricey, but with free restalls and nice warranty, with great customer service.
Fuddle= was a great low cost option that has "bit the dust"
TCI= cheaper performer with good results, have had fair share of issues, but awesome customer service.
........... always seems to be a tossup
Old 09-26-2006, 02:49 PM
9 Second Club

I hope Yank will post here and clear up these not warranty issues! Im sure there more to the story.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:47 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When output shafts fail it will put a high snap torque load on the drive line
but the converter can not brake the output shaft as it is past other weaker parts in the system.
looking at the lug in photo
(looks like the converter bolts on the remaining lugs came loose as to the polished finish on them, this will allow the tight lug to take all of the shock loading transmitted by the broken shaft)
the ST converter shown is of an old design that has not been produced for close to 4 years
It was replaced with a SS series that had new design and was stopped for the fact that we ran out of parts as it sold close to 400 units in a short time.

The Pro Yank converter has a solid billet clutch plate and it has no history of failing as it is a single part, only the clutch lining can be affected by abuse or debris.

That is not a warrenty item, as warrenty will only cover defects in materal or improper manufacture.

A bent clutch plate as stated above is caused by high line pressure
(this is how it can happen)
as high line is pushed upon the back of the clutch to make it apply it causes the plate to over bend and loose clutch contact, quick death to the converter
tuning software was not commom in the market 5 years ago.
transmission and converter tuning is now commom place and a know item.

Yanks Warrenty by defect rate is the lowest in the market at a low .08% for the past 3 years in over 6000 units produced

Yank is willing to work with anyone with help in finding the route cause of any issue so please contact us if needed
Old 09-26-2006, 04:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GregWS6&z28
beats me. but the foot tore off mine (picture above) and somehow I have a busted built trans with a busted hardened 4L65E output shaft. I was willing to send my old converter back for some kind of "discount" or what you say on a new $700 converter but Yank didnt want to do that.

Yank= popular and well performing brand with not so great customer service. Pricey
Precision IND. VIg= not as Popular as Yank, but a decent performer and very pricey, but with free restalls and nice warranty, with great customer service.
TCI= cheaper performer with good results, have had fair share of issues, but awesome customer service.

You forgot Edge Converters. Very popular with the LT1 / Impala SS crowd, apparntly not so much here. Andre at Edge is a great guy with great customer service. I figure if he can make a converter that will hold up to high horsepower in these big *** cars, he could make that converter last in a lighter weight F-Body.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:05 PM
9 Second Club

See I knew they would clear up some of the gray areas. Thanks Yank! Look forward to starting up my car for the first time friday!
Old 09-26-2006, 04:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by GregWS6&z28

hmm...i'm no expert but...well what do i know...

well i guess in my case dealing with Fuddle AND Rock-on i've seen worse...
Old 09-26-2006, 04:34 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 9C1'Stangkiller
You forgot Edge Converters. Very popular with the LT1 / Impala SS crowd, apparntly not so much here. Andre at Edge is a great guy with great customer service. I figure if he can make a converter that will hold up to high horsepower in these big *** cars, he could make that converter last in a lighter weight F-Body.

here Is a response we got on customer that switched to Yank from Edge

http://www.converter.cc/testimonials...sh/patgish.htm
Old 09-26-2006, 04:49 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Yank
here Is a response we got on customer that switched to Yank from Edge

http://www.converter.cc/testimonials...sh/patgish.htm

Should we start posting up stories where people ran better after swapping out their Yank for something else?

Pretty much what we've come to expect from you guys on here. Quick to toot your own horn and put down another. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:15 PM
FormerVendor

Thats what the board it for so people can state the what works for them and what did not.
Yank is always learning so we can give the customer the best product we can, and do change our products from feed back off of boards like LS1tech
Not every combo is the same and some times other products will work better
in a unique setup that is why you have so many choices out there.

Yank has 168 ls-1 based different models for that reason you can get the correct converter for the setup
Old 09-26-2006, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

No problems here.