Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converter questions and advice..

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 12:24 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converter questions and advice..

Will give history first. I ran a slp 2600 stall for awhile and was to me like stock and didn't improve times more than a 1/10th. So, about a year ago I bought a Fuddle 3400 stall 2.1 str, helped at the track alot, went from 13.1's to 12.6 and dropped my 60 foot times to 1.59(was 1.850's). Right after the Fuddle stall went in I noticed minor pulse width modulation, but was acceptable and only did it when I lugged the car on a hill in OD. Then I had a major injury and had surgery on foot. For 2+ months the car sat without even being started. When I finally was able to drive again I noticed the PWM was much more and even at cruising on flat ground. Only change from before when it did it every once in awhile and now was the a new battery. So, I decided to get a transgo fix kit, doesn't make the shift much different, just improves it some. It took care of the pwm and was about equal to when I first put in the converter. But, back before the shift kit I noticed on the highway a M5 BMW pulled next to me and was wanting to test me, after awhile I finally went all out and was like the converter didn't lock up, the rpms climbed super fast and bounced off the rev limiter. I don't normally go all out on the highway, so not sure if this was a all the time thing. So then last night, this now is after the shift kit, I was on the highway and a Mustang wasin front of me in the other lane, everytime I went faster, he accelerated a little faster and finally he punched the gas, I decided I would give him a big lead and just gun it and catch up fast and lay off since I really don't need a ticket. When I went WOT I was in OD, I was closing in really fast, then all of a sudden the rpms climbed and I bounced off the rev limiter. I looked at the speedometer and was nowhere near my max mph(probably 35 mph under). I am thinking there is something slipping in the converter, may be the pwm problem and the wot problem. I emailed Fuddle and recieved a response back reallly quick and he offered the send me a brand new converter which is updated with better parts since I bought mine. I have to say, reading lately about people mad a Fuddle racing, he was great and I couldn't ask for better service from a company.
Now my dilema is, do I go for a free(minus shipping)fuddle converter or get a Yank or PI converter. To me the Fuddle 3400 2.1str was a little loose feeeling for my taste and I lost around 2 mph in the 1/4 mile, but my times did increase around 6/10ths and the newer converter are supposed to be better. I want something that stalls to around 3400, but still feels smooth. My only mods are in signature.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:36 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Ok well im not familiar with fuddle other than what I have read , but i can tell you this if you floor the car wot . the converter will not be locked up .The ecm unlocks it ,
www.performabuilttransmissions.com
Old 10-06-2006, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

You are just lucky.. Fuddle's customer service was non-existant for 2-3 months.. nobody was answering anything at Fuddle and their email box was completely full. During the months long dissapearing act of Fuddle my Fuddle 3400 scattered and took out my FLT trans costing me a hell of a lot of money.. had to get a Vig 3600, have the trans pulled, and have FLT go through it. My advice is to get a Yank or Vig but still get the new Fuddle to turn around and sell it on fleabay or here on LS1 tech.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^^ lookout noobs
Old 10-06-2006, 04:16 AM
12 Second Club

Has anyone heard of a car sitting 2 months and battery going dead, then the converter acts up? Seems odd it happened after sitting. Gas mileage lately seems to be down too since the problems.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:47 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I have seen it many time with chrysler cars , they have to relearn how to shift and act after battery disconected or bad for a while , Havent really seen it with GM cars ,
www.performabuilttransmissions.com