Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: are tq converters worth it?
get that slut stalled! >
96.08%
nah it'll kill your gas and your engine
3.92%
Voters: 408. You may not vote on this poll

torque converter poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 03:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Avoid the shift kit if your car has a stock 4L60E. You'll see 0 performance gains. On recent GM electronically controlled transmissions... the shift kit wreaks havoc. This is because the computer actually has a desired shift time and shift firmness that it wants to achieve for each rpm/throttle position combo. If you change the valving to speed that up, the computer will fight it, and essentially slip the clutch packs way too much.

This is a completely different story if you have a vacuum actuated trans (or something with non-electronically controlled line pressure, shift firmness, et). The shift firmness is purely mechanical, and you'll have no problems... in fact a slightly quicker shift can even slip the clutches less. Not so on electronically controlled. It's really not worth it if you are concerned with longevity on the stocker.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CRZYPWR
Well, what do You mean awesome from a stop? hahah. I got the same one and this thing slips like hell. Takes good 5-6 secs at about 3000 rpm to get it to 40mph. It's amazing to launch the car or race from roll up to 40mph. As far as DD it, forget it. It's a pain in the traffic. I don't drive that thing too much.
Do you have a trans tune?
Old 08-17-2007, 06:36 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tiresmokeLS1
Avoid the shift kit if your car has a stock 4L60E. You'll see 0 performance gains. On recent GM electronically controlled transmissions... the shift kit wreaks havoc. This is because the computer actually has a desired shift time and shift firmness that it wants to achieve for each rpm/throttle position combo. If you change the valving to speed that up, the computer will fight it, and essentially slip the clutch packs way too much.

This is a completely different story if you have a vacuum actuated trans (or something with non-electronically controlled line pressure, shift firmness, et). The shift firmness is purely mechanical, and you'll have no problems... in fact a slightly quicker shift can even slip the clutches less. Not so on electronically controlled. It's really not worth it if you are concerned with longevity on the stocker.
This is not correct. The computer monitors the shift time to detect slip. If the shift doesn't occur quick enough a code will set. There is nothing that monitors if the shift occurs too quick so the computer will not try to lengthen the shift time.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

Stall the ****. I ran a PI Vig in my 4L60E and it drove very close to stock. Stall it and have some fun.

-Dustin-
Old 02-25-2011, 05:45 PM
Teching In

i dont want to sound dumb, but everyone says a tc makes the car more fun. what do you guys mean more fun, how does it change how the car drives on the street and on the strip?
Old 03-02-2011, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by treadsback
i dont want to sound dumb, but everyone says a tc makes the car more fun. what do you guys mean more fun, how does it change how the car drives on the street and on the strip?
Hard Hitting Like popping the Clutch on a 6sp.Let me put it to you this way ,With a 248 246 cam like I have without a Higher stall speed my car would fall flat on it's face ...Just my .02
Old 03-03-2011, 03:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I see somebody was using the search option, forgot that they are looking at a dead thread and posted lmao...

Oh yea. Stall it. But not on a high mileage stock 4L60 lol
Old 03-13-2011, 08:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
I see somebody was using the search option, forgot that they are looking at a dead thread and posted lmao...

Oh yea. Stall it. But not on a high mileage stock 4L60 lol
better then starting a new thread and wasting time...that why there is a search option LMAO

Quick Reply: torque converter poll