Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how much gap b/w converter and flexplate?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 11:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how much gap b/w converter and flexplate?

i just bolted my trans back to the motor and started the teadious process of getting a bolt hole out in the open to bolt the converter up. i have a TCI flexplate and i just installed a SS4000, i can fit three standard thickness washers between the plate and the verter. my streetfighter 3000 did not use any spacers or washers but i dont know how much gap there was initially cause i did not install that one. whats the safe distance the converter can be pushed towards the motor? i wanna say i have about 1/4 of a inch but i think it may be larger i haver to measure in the daytime just to make sure. but what is the max limit before you need washers or spacers? cause the converter will slide foward and back that distance easy and it doesnt feel like it loosens up when you slide it towards the front or needs to be clunked back on when you push it back. i just want to make sure its safe before i put everything else back together.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i wanna say that the max gap is around 5/32 in but dont quote me on that...when i put my yank and tci in too i had the same worries but everything if fine and has been with around 60 passes at the strip...and over 15k daily driven miles
Old 11-20-2006, 01:18 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go here to our guide
http://www.converter.cc/installation...guide_main.htm
Old 11-20-2006, 01:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

preciate it Yank, it might have been you i talked to on the phone earlier today, thanks for the help. i couldn't find the 1/8th inch spacer like you said but i glued two washers together with red sealant and then glued it to the flex plate and let it cure for like five minutes then turned it up to where i could put a bolt through. i ended up gettin 25mm long bolts and put a lock washer on the other side for added security along with the locktite. i measured and made sure the two washers on each bolt were the correct thickness and after i figured out a way to get them in there (red sealant) didn't have any trouble. thanks again.