Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best inexpensive/budget stall convertor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 11:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[Quote]Lucky for you, the thread originator asked about a budget "bang for the buck" converter. Right now Performabuilt fits into that catagory with Edge, TCI, and Fuddle. So far I have not saw a bad review of your products or service. Keep it up and someday you might move up to do battle with the big dogs, but it will take a little time. I hope you do well.
[\QUOTE]

edge's converters (the street edge and pro edge) and what performabuilt offer dont really fall in a budget "bang for the buck" IMO. I've yet to see a good # of reviews from PB TCs, but from the first intial buys they sound to be promising. Edge has been around for a little while now. Just because you guys have now just discovered they exist doesnt mean they're new Budget reminds me of TCI, B&M and those lower stall SLP converters.

I've heard lots of stories from any TC company about failures. Vigs, TCIs, etc

As everyone said, dont cheap out on a converter. Expect to spend over $500 for one

Last edited by buffman; 12-18-2006 at 12:03 AM.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:33 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

actually depends, our converters were introduced so people would have the option of using our converters with our trans was the idea, Then there is no question of warranty at all ,if IT breaks we fix its that simple , ,But we did as you mentioned run into the issue of someone else's converter killing our transmission by grenadine and the complications of warranty so we bought a company with and excellent reputation .
As for the converters I can give you a parts list of whats in ours of course I wont give you cost any more than yank vig will , I will say the stand alone converter prices from us will be rising in the next couple weeks as soon as our website updates are completed so I wont have to do it all twice which is the only reason they have stayed as low as they have, we will continue to give special deals for those who buy a trans from us as we already do because we like them to use our converters for our own peace of mind with our transmissions. We would not have chosen to buy a company unless there reputation was excellent since we warranty our trans and converter combinations for 1 year no matter what happens no secrets no extra charges it breaks and its a combo your only responsibility is to get it out and back to us ,You mention covering the cost of a trans failure due to a converter dying and I mention what about the other way around a trans full of metal from a vendor with nothing at all wrong with the trans and do you know what they said have the trans flushed and it will be fine ? They said they would only cover the cost of the converter, And thats when we decided to buy what is now Precisionshift converters and offer converters . Will I say which vendor? no I will not for legal reasons.
We wouldn't offer these and warranty them with our trans like we do for one year unless we knew they were excellent converters. We have people who research and make sure of everything. Business experts who know the numbers and the business.
So its simple. Are our converters inexpensive for RIGHT NOW yes , Are they cheaply made or in anyway inferior NO! So if you want to pay more go ahead and do that and in a time when we are not the little guy, which is funny since we are not little at all just new on the net and on this forum our net worth is probably close to if not more than any vendor here. But its all in perception so far we have not had a converter failure or a bad review under the precisionshift name and the company under its previous name didn't either , But all i can do is tell you and hope you listen and give our converters a try and say I know you wont be dissatisfied. I realize that there have been others before just starting out that have failed ,I also know the successful vendors on this forum were the new guys once too, I also know that some of the successful of the past on here whom you would have been singing praises for if we had come here early are now gone, Unlike them we are not small , we aren't going anywhere and we have the finances quite honestly to be here even if we weren't profitable for a long time and if one of us gets sick don't worry there are others to take there place, If the shop burns down don't worry we can just switch to another of our facilities , But I can assure you the people handing this business are not dumb they would never sell and inferior product ,They have been in the transmission business nationwide for over 40 years successfully. So you do not have to worry that we wont be here and you also know that you can holler call on us 7 days a week from 9am till 1 am and i will be here for you because we don't have a couple guys trying to build the transmissions and answer the phone take orders and fix problems everyone here has a specific job Mine is to help you every day whenever you call with whatever you need. We are there to solve issues even when you didn't buy from us, how many people will do that and spend and i have hours on the phone helping someone solve a problem with a trans or converter when the vendor they got it from told them call between 8am and 5 PM monday through Friday , But performabuilt has been there for many on this forum well outside that time period on many occasions as we always will be, You can always count on us for customer service and the best product whether it be a transmission converter or anything else we sell we are here for you
Thanks
PerformaBuilt

Call 888-744-6542

Last edited by performabuilt; 12-18-2006 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:15 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We do offer converters that are all new parts and also have a line of converters that is priced lower

http://www.converter.cc/converters/street/GM/1/main.htm
Old 12-18-2006, 09:34 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by zspot98
Do yourself a favor and save the money. Not saying that Fuddle or performabuilt are junk, but with Yank and Vig you are also paying for a repuation of quality. No matter what aftermarket part you put on your car someone, somewhere will tell you a story of how it broke. I would be curious to see what each company spends on parts for a converter. There is a reason that some are 300ish and some are 700ish. I find it hard to believe that I'm paying 400ish more dollars for advertising or what ever, when going with a higher end stall. If people could make solid stalls and continually sell them for 300ish, then I have to assume that Yank/Vig would have been priced out of the market by now? There have been a lot of budget stall folks come and go over the years, but suprisingly Yank and Vig are still here? Someone make me feel smart and offer an expination please.
go to the precision website and check out their "Truth About" writeups... there's a good one on there addressing your question..

here it is..

THE TRUTH ABOUT TORQUE CONVERTER PRICES
When talking about high performance street car torque converters a subject that is talked about a lot is price. The people who like low prices make statements like “You get a lot of bang for the buck”. The people who will pay more make statements like “You only get what you pay for”. Well I think both people are correct to some degree. The low priced person might not like the sound or the feel of the “bang” when he gets it and the higher price payer might not know if he is getting what he paid for. The “Johnny come lately” high performance street torque converter companies are all trying to get in this market. They look at our products that our customers are buying and want a piece of the so-called “gravy” as they see it. Some of these companies manufacture their own torque converters and some have a stock torque converter rebuilder build their product. These last vendors and their rebuilding companies know nothing about race torque converters or high performance street torque converters and must be thinking there is a “sucker born every minute”. If you investigate their product line you will find that most of their line is regutted stock torque converters! They jump in talking BS and throwing around low prices making statements like “just as good as” or “our quality is second to none” all things they cannot backup. The other amazing part is most of the companies coming from the racing industry side of torque converter building have spent 10, 20 or even 30 years and still do not have a majority share of their own market. Now they are coming to the high performance street converter side of the business to jump in and try to grab market share with a product of less quality and performance. Some of these newcomers will disappear quickly and some will hang on like a bad cold but in the end if any of these newbies are going to survive on this side of the business they will have to invest in quality, research and development. Some of the new comers are buying our products and trying to copy the technology but without R&D and knowing the engineering dynamics of torque converter technology they are doomed to always being 2-3 steps behind. You cannot use existing OEM parts such as stock covers, clutches, lining, hubs, etc. and get a quality part that will operate correctly and dependably in a high performance street torque converter. Our competitors use these types of parts and are charging $500-$700 (more for a higher stall) for a mostly stock 4 or 6 cylinder torque converter. There is no possible way this product is worth any more than $250-$300. I hear and read comments of how Precision Industries torque converters are over priced and Joe Blows torque converter is just as good. These people know about as much about high performance street torque converters as the young man flipping hamburgers at McDonalds. Don’t feel bad most people that build torque converters for a living don’t know any more about torque converters than the people making the above statements. The only way the buying public learns about high performance street torque converters is by what is said by some self proclaimed expert or written in the forums on the Internet. This education is like asking a person filing for bankruptcy how to get rich. If you want to know the real facts about torque converters then call the people that manufacture them and don’t depend on someone who thinks he knows torque converters because he bought one for his or her car.
To prove my point I made earlier let us dissect the price of a Precision Industries LS1 single plate torque converter and see who is paying too much, Mr. Low or Mr. High. A Precision Industries high performance street torque converter sells on average from $699-$750 through most of our dealer network. Precision Industries uses a billet cover, which we manufacture from scratch (most of our competitors do not have this capability) for a cost of around $200. I know the no experienced experts are going to say “no way” does it cost that much but it does. This is why our competitors do not want to use them. They all say, “It is to much money”. Now let us just remove the cost of this one item and look at what the price of a Precision Industries LS1 high performance street torque converter would sell for. We will have to add the cost of a welded up stock cover because these do cost money to make. I estimated the cost to be $29-$33 for Precision Industries to make one like those used by most lower priced companies. Lets subtract $200 (billet cover) from $750 (dealer selling price), and then add $33 (competitors front cover). This would make our Precision Industries LS1 high performance street torque converter sell for $583. This is about the price of our low priced competitors. But remember, our Precision Industries LS1 high performance street torque converter still has the 1. Special lockup clutch 2. Special clutch lining 3. Special turbine hub 4. Special braced turbine 5. Special impeller hub mount not counting other differences. I ask you in all honesty “WHO IS PAYING TO MUCH NOW?”
Old 12-18-2006, 09:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Most everyone in the aftermarket converter business uses the same parts. The cores may be used or new, the parts required to make them work from a 4 or 6 cylinder vehicle on a V8 are readily available from places like Sonnax, Dacco, TransStar, etc ... Some companies custom make their own daiphrams (TCC) for use with billet covers. How it is assembled is the difference in quality. I know from experience that many aftermarket converter companies do not make their own converter, but rather private label someone elses converter. The companies I know that make their converters are Yank, Precision Industries, Neil Chance, TCS, B&M and TCI. The companies that do not make thier own are (obviously) Fuddle, HPA (used MidWest), Summit, Jegs, etc ... If I did not name your company, it is because I have not explored that information yet. So to the consumer, I advise that you find out who makes the converter for the place you are thinking of buying a converter from. I am not saying private labelling is bad, it can be very good for the consumer. Nor am I trying to promote or talk bad about any converter company. Having been in the converter manufacturing business for a couple of years and seen several examples from different companies, I am just trying to inform the consumer about making wise descisions when it comes to converters. I know what brands are good, and what brands I would stay away from ... I will not talk bad about a converter company though. Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 12secSS
... I will not talk bad about a converter company though. Good luck with your decision.
I will, though. I had a Midwest converter that took out my transmission at the track. The internal seals had dissolved. I saw many posts about this problem with Midwest (HPA) converters.

Personally, I have a Coan Racing transmission and it's been rock (not Rock-on) solid. They make their own and they're highly regarded in drag racing circles.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

TonyGXP and 12secSS, great write-ups. I wish some rich feller would buy a several converters and do some tranny dynoing. Every compnay says their converter is the best, it's about time they start proving it IMO.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:34 AM
FormerVendor

YANK had all of it's converters DYNOed including the competition and they where listed on our website for years!
Testing was done by an outside company with no connection to Yank.

All we got was that we are slamming the competition and it caused alot of confusion and bad things said about YANK's (deceptive marketing) as to the data results showed most every Yank converter outperformed the competition.
And Yes it is alot of money to set it up and run over 250 dyno pulls with a f-body.

The data is still in our files
Old 12-20-2006, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=buffman]
Lucky for you, the thread originator asked about a budget "bang for the buck" converter. Right now Performabuilt fits into that catagory with Edge, TCI, and Fuddle. So far I have not saw a bad review of your products or service. Keep it up and someday you might move up to do battle with the big dogs, but it will take a little time. I hope you do well.
[\QUOTE]

edge's converters (the street edge and pro edge) and what performabuilt offer dont really fall in a budget "bang for the buck" IMO. I've yet to see a good # of reviews from PB TCs, but from the first intial buys they sound to be promising. Edge has been around for a little while now. Just because you guys have now just discovered they exist doesnt mean they're new Budget reminds me of TCI, B&M and those lower stall SLP converters.

I've heard lots of stories from any TC company about failures. Vigs, TCIs, etc

As everyone said, dont cheap out on a converter. Expect to spend over $500 for one
i like your vid. thats a damn fast buick

Last edited by mullenh; 12-20-2006 at 09:17 PM. Reason: error
Old 12-21-2006, 12:08 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Yes I agree it is

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-21-2006, 12:09 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks
Old 12-21-2006, 12:12 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

................................................ ...........

Call 888-744-6542

Quick Reply: Best inexpensive/budget stall convertor?