Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

700R4 in a 2002 camaro??

Old 12-25-2006, 07:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700R4 in a 2002 camaro??

So just that! has any tried this? from what i understand the 700 and 4l60 are about the same, and it would be less $$. but not sure about the bolt pattern and i know the 700 is a non electric the same as a th350 or th400. any info would help trying to do this swap from an M6 nitrous car. thanks!
Old 12-25-2006, 07:19 PM
Teching In

The 700R4 & 4L60 are basically the same tranny which is basically a 4L60E without the E(electric control). The 700R4 and 4L60 use the same converters and shift kits, etc. From what I understand all 3 have the same bolt pattern. The TH350 & TH400 are not the same as the 4L60, at least as I understand it, but I'm not to familiar with the older trannies. The 4L60 requires installing a kit to change shift points. The 4L60E changes shift points thru programming...I wish I had this easy way to do things. g/l
Old 12-26-2006, 09:06 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Well it can be done , Im not sure what the real cost savings would be , You would need wither a special converter or and adapter plate for the converter, You would have to rig up something for a TV cable and possibily modify something for the torqion bar,
If you originally had a 4l60e you would have to figure out how to delete the auto trans part from the program so engine light dosent stay on all the time,
Personally by the time you got everything to make it work I dont really think you would save much if any money ,
You would be steping backwards as far as technology goes ,
I think its probably a bad idea overall just opinion

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-26-2006, 11:08 AM
Banned

I guess it would be an easier swap due to the fact that you had an M6. Theres too much BS to add to put a 4l60E into an M6 car.
The 700R4 and 4L60 are the exact same trans and they have the same bellhousing and torque converter bolt pattern as th350's and th400's.
The easiest way to do it is to get a built 700R4 (4L60), with a tail housing from a thrid gen so the torque arm will bolt up, get the GM converter spacer and bolts, see if you can find a tv geometry bracket for the throttle body. BowTie Overdrives might have it at 700R4.com. The geometry has to be perfect for the trans to live and work properly.
You can also get the trans with an electronic sender for the speedo.
As for the bellhousing it's only going to bolt up with five bolts instead of eight bolts used for the LS1 4L60E.

Or an even better option, get the correct LS1 4L60E, convert it to full manual/vacuum modulation with a TransGo kit from a sponsor here and bolt it up right, not have to deal with the expensive custom tv cable and brackets.
You still need to get the VCM reflashed because there are quite a few small differences between the M6 and A4 tunes, plus you'll need to turn the check engine light off for cags, rev lockout, and a few more things.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:30 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Ah I didnt notice he was switching from and m6 that would change things a bit ,Though personally even though it would be a little more expensive I would put in the proper 4l60e and pcm and harness , in fact if he ask around he may find someone on here willing to trade all that stuf with him ,

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-27-2006, 08:15 AM
On The Tree

Yes, well here's the problem!! i'm currently deployed right now in iraq, and trying to make this project of mine work, well here's what I understand: m6 to a4(4l60e) reflash, no problem! but then i also have to deal with switching the pedals and the wiring harness and that all cost money and time. And being millitary i have one but not the other! Performabuilt, i have seen your website and its your trans that I'm very interestted in, the stage 3. Please keep in mind that it will be a few months before i buy anything because I won't be going home till May. So I was thinking 700R4 with 4000 TQ converter and the same tail housing as 4L60E but with the correct speedo gear for an M6 and an electric sensor. As for the cables I'm pertty sure I can make it work! Thats the easy part. But now I run into the TQ converter bolting up to the flexplate a TCI LS1 flexplate (dont have any idea if it will work) So as you can see i need some help..

Performabuilt please PM me with some info and some prices $$ THANKS
Old 12-27-2006, 08:30 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have also heard that mounting the TV cable is an issue and would personally stay with the 4l60e unit,
Old 12-27-2006, 09:17 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Well for information ,
presently we do not charge extra for the converter you need to make that swap you would only need to get and LS1 flexplate somewhere to replace your fly wheel.
The price for the trans would be as listed on our site except you get a military 5 percent discount along with the LS1 tech discount .
You will need a TV cable for that I would suggest a company called lokar.com .
The speedo is not a problem since the 700 had electric speedo on the late model though I beleave the plug was different but with the same number of wires so you would just have to change the end.
You would need the camaro type tail housing which still may require some minor adaptation, But shouldn't be a major issue.
I still say personally though that in keeping the value of the car I would choose to use the 4L60E myself purchase a AUTO PCM and wiring harness and a console and brake petal from a wrecked car and that would make the operation more or less a simple PLUG n PLAY but we will help you do whichever you decide
thanks

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-27-2006, 10:44 AM
Banned

Heres an LS1 throttle body TV correction bracket for the 700 http://www.tvmadeez.com/ls1_cam/
And you'll also need an A4 cross member.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 700R4 in a 2002 camaro??