Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whos had a Performabuilt tranny?>

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 05:01 PM
24v
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frank, you may also want to put a note somewhere stating that the trannies do not come with a bellhousing, or tailshaft housing. I was unaware of this until I opened the box my tranny came in.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:34 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes it is true our units do not come with a bell housing or tail for anyone who does not know his , They are reusable items and you are to use your oem stuff . Though before it was brought to my attention it was printed on each page it is now printed on each page larger. This very fact is why we are able to offer our trans with no core or core charge. Since so many are damaged or broken and missing on the cores we receive,
we do however include any gaskets and seals needed and these items are easily switched from your original unit. I had thought everyone was aware of that since the issue has never come up. But I have now made it very visilble on our website ,
These items are available at additional cost or in some cases free depending on availabilty just ask , But most of our LS1TECH members do not have any issue with this as they are replacing OEM units
thanks

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-13-2007, 06:20 AM
24v
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Yes it is true our units do not come with a bell housing or tail for anyone who does not know his , They are reusable items and you are to use your oem stuff . Though before it was brought to my attention it was printed on each page it is now printed on each page larger. This very fact is why we are able to offer our trans with no core or core charge. Since so many are damaged or broken and missing on the cores we receive,
we do however include any gaskets and seals needed and these items are easily switched from your original unit. I had thought everyone was aware of that since the issue has never come up. But I have now made it very visilble on our website ,
These items are available at additional cost or in some cases free depending on availabilty just ask , But most of our LS1TECH members do not have any issue with this as they are replacing OEM units
thanks
Please undestand I wasn't taking a jab. Just trying to be helpful. I still would have bought my tranny from you.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:32 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

oh no problem , I didnt think you were , The location of that text was a bit obscure .
Suggestions and constructive advice are always welcome

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-13-2007, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

On a side note: has anyone installed the tranny himself? How much time it took? I installed the TH350 in my 67 Camaro myself - is the 98 Camaro installation more involved/complicated?

Thanks!

Last edited by Ragtop 99; 03-20-2007 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by darom
I will be getting a tranny from your company as well, when mine breaks down. I've heard a lot of praise for performabuilt on this board.

On a side note: has anyone installed the tranny himself? How much time it took? I installed the TH350 in my 67 Camaro myself - is the 98 Camaro installation more involved/complicated?

Thanks!
its not too bad of a job. my friend and i put mine in just a couple of hours
Old 03-13-2007, 07:09 PM
TECH Regular

Mine tranny is shitting out, and i'm very intrested in a performabuilt. Its a street/strip daily driver, i'm gunna get one of your 3500 stall package deals to. I want to run 0 torque management. Is that possible with a level 1?
Old 03-13-2007, 08:01 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

We have no problem with the removal of torque management but I do suggest the level 2 as its alot more trans for just a little more money ,
Thanks

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-13-2007, 10:47 PM
Launching!

What excatly is torque management?
Old 03-13-2007, 10:53 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Torque Management Is When The Pcm Retards The Timing So That There Is Less Power Transfer During A Shift , Is My Understanding.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-13-2007, 10:54 PM
Launching!

i guess thats just the PCM trying to improve reliability? It would seem to me that people who want to go fast don't want things like that.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:55 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

That would be a correct assumption

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-13-2007, 11:01 PM
Launching!

So, lets say, I get rid of tq management... is that even an issue with your lvl2 transmission? Would you also recommend a trans cooler? Newer cars typically have one built into the radiator, f-bodies do, but I in all honesty, I think those suck. I'm sure it would be a good idea with 3500 stall.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:05 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Trans cooler is a good idea and deleting management is a good idea

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-14-2007, 01:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

With a stall I would assume that a trans cooler is more than just a good idea?
Old 03-14-2007, 08:34 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

A trans cooler is always a good idea and always recomended , High stall or no you really cant go wrong with having one,

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-16-2007, 02:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had my Level I in the car for about 3 months now. I've had a few chances to put it through its paces and have to say it performs flawlessly!!!!

the 1-2 WOT and 2-3 WOT shifts are perfect. Gonna take it to the track soon looking for my mid-12.

BTW, the customer service that Frank gives is amazing. In december I had a couple kidney stones and put me outta commission for a while. Frank periodically checked in on me and asked how i was doing. Even gave some healthy advice too. He is a great guy and a pleasure to have on this board.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Well I guess I just have really bad luck because my second (first one had no OD) level 2 was just installed( after pulling the pan and changing the shift lever )and compared to the one that came out ( original trans with a Trans Go and Level Ten internals) I have to say I am not impressed nor happy(actually pretty PO"D and fed up would be the description) about the time and money spent for the "performance". So it would appear I'll have to go a different direction. And I just had surgery too so it's not like I'll be out there tearing it out tonight. But at this point if I had the use of my other arm I'd be ripping that puppy out before dinner. Maybe sour grapeish but I know what a trans I want feels like and my old one had it in spades over this one even with the clunk it was starting to make. Not too say Performabuilt hasn't tried to make it right (sending out the second one) but I know what the car can do when the trans is there and I won't be happy till it's back to that point.

Last edited by SD455; 03-16-2007 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:23 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

SD455 While I honestly do not know what the issue here and am suprised honestly since though in our history we have had a couple mechanical failures, Broken planets etc .Which with this type of market is to be expected and we take care of all of our customers in every situtation and Im sure anyone you ask would tell you that from any side, In your case it aparent that our transmission does not suit your needs. Surprised I am because we do have so many happy customers running some very powerfull cars and the level 2 is the most popular choice, But in keeping with customer satisfaction and since its obvious we are unable to meet your expectations reguardless of what the reason is , Just as I have PM you just a short bit ago As soon as you have both units out and ready to leave please let us know and we will have them picked up and refund your full purchase price to your credit card imediatley upon pickup of the units.
Again I apologize that we were unable to give you what you needed
Frank at Performabuilt

Call 888-744-6542

Last edited by performabuilt; 03-16-2007 at 08:28 PM. Reason: s
Old 03-17-2007, 02:00 AM
Teching In

I don't want to get into any kind of post war and I'm not here to bash but I do feel I have the right to post my experience thus far.

There was a problem with the first one.
No overdrive/fourth gear at all. Scanning showed it was getting the command but it wasn't in fourth.
Ok, sometimes these things happen. I wasn't happy about it but it came out and you did get me another one shipped out. I shipped the first one out to you today.

I must admit that after seeing we would need to swap out the shift lever on the second one I was beginning to have doubts.
And we weren't thrilled about having to pop the pan to change it right after unpacking it. Then the trans code setting at start up. That cleared after a few miles of driving.
In retrospect I should've put it back in the crate and cut my losses but after getting the OK from you by phone we swapped it out and installed it.
But I will say that, no,honestly this transmission does not meet my expectations. Maybe I was just use to the stocker with a Trans Go kit because the length of time between moving the shifter from 1-2,2-3 and when it actually shifts (at ANY RPM) is 2-3 seconds. In my HEMI Magnum I expect that but,no, that is not what I expect from a performance transmission. And when it won't shift when I want it to it is not what I wanted.
Aside from that and the impression I have that suddenly my converter (the same Precision 2800 just inspected and returned) seems to stall all the way to 5500 while barely breaking the tires loose from a dead stop and bouncing the rev limiter. I can honestly say that... no I am in no way happy with things thus far. The has been down a month now and I am out of pocket roughly twice the cost of the transmission and I
'm back to square one. Maybe only 2 out of a thousand have a problem but I just happened to get 2 in row. For everyone else that is satisfied with your product, thats great for you. I don't have a problem with that. As for pulling this one out and sending it back for a refund, definately what I would like at this point But I'm already out of pocket for 2 R&R's and just had surgery so the funds to do this again aren't here yet so unfortunately (for me) this has to wait. I would find it very hard to believe that if this situation were reversed and you had gone through this that you wouldn't be pretty dissapointed/upset/ and just plain old po'd. Now, I'm going to have a beer and forget about this frickin car for a few days.

Quick Reply: Whos had a Performabuilt tranny?>