Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synthetic yes or no

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 01:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets ask all of our sponsors "What type of trans fluid do you recommend for our 4L60E transmissions?"
Old 02-22-2007, 02:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Well as for PerformaBuilt we dont at present have and recomendations beyond it needs to meet or exceed dexron/mercron requirements, We have seen people using both natural and synthetic and having great results some swear by each , My personal preference is Natural Dexron but mostly that has to do with the fact I see cars all the time with 100000 plus miles on the original fluild never changed maybe a little dark but still going strong so its cheap and obviously effective, The old statment "If it aint broke dont fix it" in many cases does hold water.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-22-2007, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

I agree I am not trying to sell anything here, im simply trying to understand thats all. no hard feelings. Here is a data sheet on the Amsoil torque drive ATF, which is the same thing as Dex III only in a synthetic amsoil torque drive ATF
and for the amsoil universal ATF https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulle...3_rev12_06.pdf
Old 02-22-2007, 02:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by performabuilt
I wonder if there are any published friction cohefficents (spelled wrong im sure)Properties of the various fluilds that would be interesting reading , Im going to do some research into that online surley the information exsist somewhere.
Now it does not show specific coefficients of friction for different fluids but I have attached a sheet from Southwest Research Institute that does show the different testing the fluids go through to meet DEXIII requirements. These same tests are performed whether the fluid is conventional or synthetic. The important stuff for this discussion starts on page 10 and also not that they use a 4L60 in some of the testing. Regardless of a fluid being synthetic or conventional they all most meet these same frictional requirements.

EDIT to add link: http://www.swri.org/4org/d08/Abstracts/Dexron.pdf
Old 02-22-2007, 02:46 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by o2man98
Now it does not show specific coefficients of friction for different fluids but I have attached a sheet from Southwest Research Institute that does show the different testing the fluids go through to meet DEXIII requirements. These same tests are performed whether the fluid is conventional or synthetic. The important stuff for this discussion starts on page 10 and also not that they use a 4L60 in some of the testing. Regardless of a fluid being synthetic or conventional they all most meet these same frictional requirements.

EDIT to add link: http://www.swri.org/4org/d08/Abstracts/Dexron.pdf
Thats all foreign to me. In simple terms, whats it saying???
Old 02-22-2007, 02:59 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

well from looking the claim is that the friction properties of the natural and the sythetic in that brand are the same in simple answer

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-22-2007, 03:17 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fortheluckyones
my friends tranny did not have synthetic in it.
then plain and simple, your friend's build sucked. a properly built 4L60E should be able to handle 500 rwhp no problem. now 700rwhp+...now you're pushing it on any build. it's no secret that most builders don't know how to build a 4L60E. they stick in better clutches, a corvette servo (which comes stock BTW), a shift kit and a beast sunshell and call it "built". no work to the pump, no different feed holes drilled, no hardened input/output shaft, no aluminum accumulators, no nothing.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

it's highly possible that it was a poor build, i'm not exactly sure what all was done to it. i do know it was built by BTE, but thats about as much as i know.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

Just to add something, here is an email from a senior technical advisor at Amsoil concerning the synthetic slipping issue.

"Ben,

Thank you for contacting AMSOIL with your concerns.

In response to your inquiry, this is a huge misconception and an old myth that synthetics cause clutch slippage. It does not matter whether the formulation is synthetic or petroleum. It is the additive packages that make the fluid more slippery or less slippery. Our AMSOIL ATD and ATF are both formulated to meet the frictional coefficient requirements of DEXRON III and will NOT cause excess slippage any more than any other fluid that meets these requirements. The advantages of synthetic transmission fluid are that it lasts longer and it is much more resistant to heat and shear than petroleum fluids.

Thank you again for the opportunity to respond to your concerns. As always, please feel free to contact us again if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Ed Kellerman

Senior Technical Advisor
Old 02-23-2007, 07:37 PM
Launching!

I had a 2-3 shift problem,Kept hitting the rev limiter,But with some tuning I got it to shift But!,I logged the 2-3 shift RPM and the rpm's would rise about 5 to 6 hundred rpm's before it shifted to 3rd. I decided to try Dex III,I had synthetic before.what a difference,It practicly banged into 3rd gear and the rpm's dropped instead of going up.So I'm sticking with non synthetic................Paul

Quick Reply: Synthetic yes or no