Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Company Claims to be the best

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 01:24 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Company Claims to be the best

I was doing some research because my RPM stage 5 only lasted me 1100 miles, and came across this website. They claim to have the best built 4l60e's. Now, I compared their parts to others and Performabuilt is the only other company that uses similair parts. I was wandering if it would be worth my time to buy the top of the line internals from them, and just have a local performace tranny shop install them.

They talk about how they have the strongest servos, and the 8 full tickness clutches are better than 9 thin clutches. There is also more information on thier website that basically stats that other companies are using the wrong stuff.

What do you guys think of Performance Automotive?

Last edited by Ragtop 99; 03-22-2007 at 07:31 AM. Reason: non sponsor link
Old 03-22-2007, 03:00 AM
12 Second Club

can only try. then again. there are several known and established sponsers on here that have built some good trannies. Look at FLT, they have a 4l80 behind Parish's 1k HP truck and running strong.

Ski

P.S. be careful posting links to NON-sponsers.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:32 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe that you said in another post that you bought this trans used. Maybe you should get in contact with the manufacture of it and see if they will freshen it up for you. I know the guy over there and I'm sure he will work with you. Vince
Old 03-22-2007, 07:40 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah the trans was used, but it only had 4 passes of 11.50 on it. Anyway, I am going to upgrade the clutch paks to the Z-pak, and upgrade to Fairbanks servos, and see if I can get it to last longer. Also gonna put in a carbonfiber 2-4 band. We'll see if it helps.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:15 PM
Teching In

Don't jump the gun,there is a lot more to the story. RPM is not a sponser on this site so I can's say much. I can assure you that we have more 4L60E's running in the 9's than anyother company. A transmissions life span is affected many other parts (cooler,converter,tuning,etc....) so before just throwing new parts in a transmission find the cause of the failure. RPM
Old 03-22-2007, 08:32 PM
Banned

I was wandering if it would be worth my time to buy the top of the line internals from them, and just have a local performace tranny shop install them
Thats probably the worst thing you can do. Each company has their choice of parts for a reason, and they all build their transmissions with these parts regularly.
Bring a pile of stuff to a local builder you might give him something he's never seen before and yours will be the first one he's set up. Not a good situation. And if it fails they will almost always blame your parts selection being at fault.
If you go with a local builder ask how they're going to build it and what they're going to use, see what they say.
It would be better to buy from a sponsor here IMO.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:11 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by RPM Transmissions
Don't jump the gun,there is a lot more to the story. RPM is not a sponser on this site so I can's say much. I can assure you that we have more 4L60E's running in the 9's than anyother company. A transmissions life span is affected many other parts (cooler,converter,tuning,etc....) so before just throwing new parts in a transmission find the cause of the failure. RPM
This very true the days of the transmission being a stand alone unit are long over and its difficult at times to get people to understand this when they put one in and have and issue, Back in the days of the 350, 400,and even the 700r4 you basically just bolted it in and it either was good or it wasnt that simple, With the electronically controlled units there are dozens of things interacting that can cause the trans to not function correctly or worse even burn it up.Thats why customer service is so important for when this type issue comes up.

As for just getting the parts and having a local shop throw them in there again I would beware, Each manufacturer uses the componets we do because we have learned what works with what and just throwing a bunch of the best parts in there and hoping for the best generally is not a good idea.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-23-2007, 09:58 PM
12 Second Club

Thank you guys for all the info you have provided. I have learned new info on the trans, and the Failure has nothing to do with the way RPM builds their transmission. RPM Transmission stand behind their transmissions 100%, and I am happy with their customer service.
I was basically scammed, and the guy I bought it from was scammed and he didn't even know it. So long story short, I will have it built by Proformance, (he's local) and let them do it their way.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:28 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SunsetOrangeZ
I was doing some research because my RPM stage 5 only lasted me 1100 miles, and came across this website. They claim to have the best built 4l60e's. Now, I compared their parts to others and Performabuilt is the only other company that uses similair parts. I was wandering if it would be worth my time to buy the top of the line internals from them, and just have a local performace tranny shop install them.

They talk about how they have the strongest servos, and the 8 full tickness clutches are better than 9 thin clutches. There is also more information on thier website that basically stats that other companies are using the wrong stuff.

What do you guys think of Performance Automotive?
I have used a PA tranny before and it was O.K. I don't think it is the best in the world. My friend bought one for his 98 Z and it only lasted 5K miles and his car was cam only.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

If it were me I would have RPM rebuild or just get a new one from Performabuilt, FLP or other sponsors.

If the quote you got from the local shop is significantly less then IMO it isn't being built to the same specs or standards as Performabuilt, FLP, RPM etc.

I went local the first time rebuilt at $1000 + $350 for the install. I drove the car for 7K and now 3 and 4 is out with little if any racing - not more then 6 passes on a h/c 347 only putting out 385 rwhp - all city or highway miles. I suspect all I got was a new clutch pack and a shift kit for the $1 k.

Get it done by a company and sponsor here that makes a living at rebuilding 4l60e's specifically.

You will save money in the long run.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:20 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stick with the sponsors. The sponsors will do you right.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Default rpm

i have a level 4 rpm 6 speed in my ta and i will probably be switching to a 4l60e or 4l80e and there is no doubt it will be another RPM TRANSMISSION!!!!!
Old 09-14-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would stick with the sponsors on here with proven track records and customer satisfaction. just give performabuilt and FLT a shout.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will be going with FLT when I can afford it. I went with the "local" shop and spent maybe $200 less than FLT overall and I am kicking myself because I have MAYBE 1500 miles on it and it feels like ****. I will have them rebuild my trans when I can get it done because all of my buddies have had them build their transmissions. Plus you're in the chicagoland area so they are not that far.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You guys do know you bump a 2 year old thread.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:03 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JeaneZ28
You guys do know you bump a 2 year old thread.
That was my exact thought