Sponsored by:

tranny wont shift out of first

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 02:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tranny wont shift out of first

here's the story.

put my sts kit on, and for a week the stock tranny worked great. then it stopped shifting into 2nd gear. i still drove it for another week or so, with it shifting 1st to 3rd to 4th, and then i got a code for my front o2 sensors. i replaced those, and reset the pcm, and after that it would only stay in 1st gear. reverse also works fine. i figured i had lost 2nd and 3rd, so i proceeded to order a level 3 performabuilt tranny. now the new tranny is all installed, and it does the same thing as before. it will only go in reverse, or stay in first. i'm thinking its a pcm issue, but anyone have any ideas?
Old 04-10-2007, 02:42 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Your mechanic hasnt called yet , Personally the only way the trans can stay in first and not upshift is 1-The PCM is not commanding the upshift and keeping both soleniods on , Or 2- The PCM is comanding and the SCRs (SILICONE CONTROLLED RECTIFIERS) Basically solid state switchs are shorted in the PCM, When he calls me I will discuss some test he can do to help solve the issue, Though since it exsisted before with old trans and no with the new trans the same Im sure its not a trans issue but we want to help get you going anyway we can, So get him to call mee as soon as you can.
PerformaBuilt

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-11-2007, 06:51 PM
10 Second Club

i'm still having the problem... here is an update plus some background info:

i installed a predator tune about 2 years ago when my car was stock. fast forward 2 years to recently... december (2006)

i installed an STS kit with a cam, fuel system, etc that would obviously require a new tune, so i towed it about 3 hours away to get a dyno tune, from a sponsor, for all the new engine stuff. it was tuned with the stock tranny and converter and drove great afterward.

now we all know stock things dont last very long with more power, so about a week after driving with the new tune, i lost 2nd gear. The stock transmission would then only shift from 1-3 and 3-4, so it was still driveable. i kept driving it for about a week, and then i got a DTC for the front o2 sensors, 1137 and 1157, as the rears were tuned out. i had my mechanic replace the o2's with some bosch 13111's and he reset the codes. when i went to pick up the car, the STOCK transmission would then not shift out of first gear, but it still drove great, but only in first and would not upshift

i figured the tranny had its day, and was time for a new one. I then ordered a built tranny with a 3000 stall from another sponser on here and proceed to have that installed. when i went to test drive it for the first time, it would do the SAME thing as with the stock tranny... and not shift out of first gear. before blaming the tranny, my mechanic and i thought it was an electrical problem with the pcm. he hooked up his scan tool, and performed all kinds of tests with the solenoids, etc, checked all the wiring, and everything seemed fine. while driving, the pcm was commanding all of the gears but the tranny itself would not shift.

now today:

i had another pcm from when my car was stock, so we installed it just to see if the tranny would shift with the old pcm, and it would do the same thing, just stay in first gear and not upshift. we have checked everything, and i have tried to contact my tuner for help but have been unsuccessful. the tranny builder has also been very helpful, but we still cannot find the problem.

we were thinking its the pcm, as i had this issue with the stock tranny, but we swapped out the pcms and it still wouldnt shift out of first, so now could that be a tranny issue?
Old 04-11-2007, 07:06 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Your mechanic is working with me on a way to shift the trans independant of the PCM he is supposed to call me back in a little while when he is ready , So we can eliminate that possibility , However with both units your original and this one doing the exact same thing its not likley though I do have some concerns damage may have been done asa result of the no shift issue. But we are covering all the bases one step at a time.
The intersting thing is we did determine that aparently its not driving around in first gear but rather what appears to be limp mode the tail tail sign of that is with the level 3 with the transgo valve if you pull down to maunal low one it will feel like the brake is applied and so it does.Ill keep you posted as we work along Im waiting on his call again any time now,

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-12-2007, 02:21 PM
10 Second Club

frank, i appreciate all of your help through this, but we are thinking that the problems are with the tranny. i know that you are willing to send a new one out, but i'm not so sure if i want to go that route.... i'll be calling you pretty soon in order to work some things out
Old 04-14-2007, 03:09 PM
Launching!

I had a problem like this once, turned out to be a bad VSS. Is your speedo acting funny? Its a shot in the dark, but good luck on getting everything straight.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ditto on the VSS, identical, had trans fluid on it somehow from the overflow tube?
Old 04-14-2007, 04:08 PM
10 Second Club

nope the speedo worked fine.... gonna have a new trans sent out so hopefully that works! thanks for your help tho
Old 04-14-2007, 04:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RooRnZ28
nope the speedo worked fine.... gonna have a new trans sent out so hopefully that works! thanks for your help tho
The speedo worked fine it somehow effected the shifts. Very seldom did the speedo do anything "weird". IF its the same VSS that was on the stock trans I'd look there or a short in a wire on the main plug/harness.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:43 PM
10 Second Club

my mechanic performed almost every electrical test that we could, including bypassing the pcm altogether and trying to shift it manually but nothing fixed the shift problem