Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80E Full manual valve body???

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 10:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the full manual 4L80E, search for "Raptor 4L80" and it comes right up. Full manual - no computer needed.

Although I have a built 80E (Hughes Performance) and I can't imagine giving up the programmability, even for a drag car. Just hook up paddle shifters (Twist Machine) and get full manual upshift control. Downshifts are programmable along with speed and TPS. You could drive to the track and download a track-only file in 30 seconds, race all night and reprogram it to street mode before driving home. Mine's set up to be a Grandma shift under 47% throttle, and quickly ramp to 'kill' mode above that. Love it.

I'm putting in a Vigilante 2800 stall, 5-disc lockup in the next few weeks - it just came.

Jim
Old 11-26-2007, 01:59 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 80E built by Gear star / Yank with the compushift controller. From the controller in 15 seconds I can switch from a fully automatic control to full manual. I understand both sides of the, why have an electronic capable trans but want to shift it manually debate. Here is why I do:

If one were to "unlawfully chose" to race on an asphault road and get some wheel spin when the gas or boost hits, the ability to immediately shove the car into 2nd and slow or stop the wheel spin and avoid spinning too high into first gear where it makes things a bit more difficult to regain control, is why I use both. I do agree with most of you that the computer should be perfect every time, but that assumes the pass is wheel spin free and perfect every time.
If I were to street race I would always be in full manual mode.........

Gear Star / Yank is obviously a supporting vendor and the 4L80E from gear star is awesome. Every Part is Billet or cryo treated, and brand new ( Including the case) and warrantied for 2 years for up to 1200 hp applications. THIS IS NOT AN INEXPENSIVE OPTION THOUGH. My complete trans, converter, controller, crossmember was ~ 5500.00 But for 15 months Ive abused the crap out of it without even a hickup. I make ~ 450 rwhp NA (Through the 80E & 9" on a 325/50 MT) and have a 2 stage(250hp) kit on the car. It doesnt even sweat. I recently made 4 back to back street passes on the gas 0 - 140ish and the trans temp was 213.
Anyway the 80E kicks a$$ if you can deal with the weight.

Quick Reply: 4L80E Full manual valve body???