Sponsored by:

HELP! Torque arm Clamshell bushing unremovable? Picture

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 09:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP! Torque arm Clamshell bushing unremovable? Picture

Hey Guys,

I my replaced my BMR torque arm with the stock one. I went to install the new clamshell bushing and the bolt wouldn't clear the body for removal. So I removed the driveshaft and transmission crossbrace to lower the transmission and it still wont clear! Do I need to remove the transmission to replace a torque arm bushing!? You can see in the pictures how it is hitting the body and how long the bolt in on the one that needs to go in.

THanks,
Lane

Old 07-05-2007, 09:18 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Simple solution would be to unbolt the tail housing from trans. It has a rubber oring not a gasket so you can reuse then just rotate the tail housing and take it out.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-05-2007, 09:19 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sometimes you might have to pry down on the trans between the body and the trans in order to remove it. You can also remove the bolts for the transmission tail housing and remove it from the transmission. Might be an easier way to do it. Get a small drain pan to catch the fluid so you do not make a mess before removing the tail housing. Hope this helps.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:43 PM
TECH Regular

When I did mine I just dropped the trans all the way down as far as it would go and then I pulled down and ripped on the clamshell piece. It might help to maybe have someone pull down on the tailhousing or something to try and get the trans to come down some more.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Regular

just lower the transmissin completly then pry down on it a bit it will slide right out ive took mine out a few times now
Old 07-06-2007, 01:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks guys. I had my friend pry it and I got it!
Old 05-28-2012, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old thread but I'm going to be encountering the same problem real soon when I swap to a UMI torque arm and relocation bracket.

Will lowering and prying down on the transmission hurt the motor mounts at all? I just finished installing new rubber motor mounts and the idea of risking damage to them is unacceptable to me.

Also, if a person is going to be installing a torque arm relocation bracket they wouldn't need that piece right? So if really wanted to skip this mess couldn't I just cut the bracket off?

TIA
Old 05-29-2012, 08:03 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RedVertTA
Also, if a person is going to be installing a torque arm relocation bracket they wouldn't need that piece right? So if really wanted to skip this mess couldn't I just cut the bracket off?

TIA

Yeaps. If you're not reusing the clamp or bolt I don't see why not. Just make sure you have good safety goggles on, and there's no 1/8" gap under them for sparks to bounce into your eye. Not that I've ever had that happen or anything

Quick Reply: HELP! Torque arm Clamshell bushing unremovable? Picture