Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SS3600...I'm that guy.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 02:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Waaaaaaahhh... my ***** hurts! My car doesn't go like it should! I want it stock again!!!

When you mod, you expect to give something up in drivability. Either keep it stock, or learn to like it.

FWIW, I would *NEVER* go back to a lower or stock stall after having my TCI SSF 4000. I daily drove it for a year and loved it. I can control the car *EXACTLY* how I want it with my right foot. It's almost as good as driving a manual on the street, but even better at the strip.

I think that you really just need a good tune and a little time to get used to the stall. Mine was a real dog at first, when the computer was confused, but once I had Gomer (back when he was still tuning), whip up a tune for the converter, it was night and day... almost like someone flipped a switch in the transmission. IIRC, the computer doesn't like any stall that's rated higher than a 3200, and will need tuning.

Look into a tune, and possibly a good shift kit, don't change to a lower stall until you do those things, or you might be kicking yourself later.

When I picked my stall, I used the method that I've seen on this board so many times, and I suggest that everyone else do the same:

"Pick which stall you *think* you want, then go one step higher, and you'll love it."

I was originally going to go with a 3500-3600 rpm stall, and I went with a 4000 instead. I'm glad that I did, because my stall is perfect for what I want to do with the car.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DOUBT IT
Waaaaaaahhh... my ***** hurts! My car doesn't go like it should! I want it stock again!!!....
Please, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=DOUBT IT] Waaaaaaahhh... my ***** hurts! My car doesn't go like it should! I want it stock again!!!

Ummm....thanks......***.

"When you mod, you expect to give something up in drivability.
Either keep it stock, or learn to like it."

Ya think so?

So I guess we all should do and have the same mods to our cars
as everyone else has huh.They should all be the same color and
have the same wheels too.There is no possible way that I could
be less than thrilled with this converters habbits,because everyone
else loves it.
I am well aware there was gonna be a differance with the change.
Hell it was the reason I did it.I still think it was more than I was
looking for. I plan on having the tune looked at again,and installing
some gears before I make a move and pull it out.Heck maybe I will
wake up tommorrow with a 20lb right foot and everything
will be cool.
To everyone...thanks for the ideas and input.
Brian
Old 08-24-2007, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

DOUBT IT: I reccently tuned for my stall using HPtuners at the dyno. Maybe I missed something tho, which tables do I need to check for the stall? Do you know? You're pulling 1.62 60s with traction.... I WANT THAT. haha
Old 08-24-2007, 07:02 PM
11 Second Club

I have the SS3600 as well, and after messing with the tune a little bit my car drives like it doesn't even have a stall. Except for when I get on it
Give the car a better tune + let it learn and you might just end up posting a "I love this Stall thread"
Old 08-24-2007, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

i have 3.73 gears and just ordered a yank ss3600. should be here in another week. hopefully i won't have to get it tuned. i think the steeper gears that i have will help it get goin a little bit easier.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:01 PM
10 Second Club

Like the rest are saying, it may take a week or so to acclimate to the new feel. Once you do, you won't know it's there. I've been on an ss3600 for about a year now and LOVE it. Went from a M6 to A3 and haven't looked back. My ss3600 is tight, feels good and has been reliable.

Gears will help a BUNCH for getting that tight feel back also.

Matter of fact, I just emailed Mike @ Yank about a re-flash. 4400 should be about right-
Old 08-25-2007, 01:18 AM
11 Second Club

[QUOTE=B02SS]
Originally Posted by DOUBT IT
Waaaaaaahhh... my ***** hurts! My car doesn't go like it should! I want it stock again!!!

Ummm....thanks......***.

"When you mod, you expect to give something up in drivability.
Either keep it stock, or learn to like it."

Ya think so?

So I guess we all should do and have the same mods to our cars
as everyone else has huh.They should all be the same color and
have the same wheels too.There is no possible way that I could
be less than thrilled with this converters habbits,because everyone
else loves it.
I am well aware there was gonna be a differance with the change.
Hell it was the reason I did it.I still think it was more than I was
looking for. I plan on having the tune looked at again,and installing
some gears before I make a move and pull it out.Heck maybe I will
wake up tommorrow with a 20lb right foot and everything
will be cool.
To everyone...thanks for the ideas and input.
Brian
Not trying to be *TOO* much of an ***, just saying that you should give the stall a chance. Definitely look at the tune, since like I said, it made a world of difference in my car. I just don't think that you've given yourself enough time to get used to the stall. After a while, you'll like it, I'm sure.

Originally Posted by SCREAMIN
DOUBT IT: I reccently tuned for my stall using HPtuners at the dyno. Maybe I missed something tho, which tables do I need to check for the stall? Do you know? You're pulling 1.62 60s with traction.... I WANT THAT. haha
Not sure which tables to mess with, seeing as how Gomer did the tune. I'm gonna learn about tuning soon, I just haven't gotten around to messing with it yet. I could pull probably 1.5x's with traction, but the stock 10-bolt is the limiting factor right now, I've got to get a real axle in this heap soon, so that I can crank out some mid 11's stock internal.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:00 AM
TECH Addict

just get a 6-speed lol i did a 3700 man its ok but guzzles alot of gas and well i just like rowin the gears
Old 08-25-2007, 08:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by B02SS
Anything less than half throttle with this converter and I hardly feel like I'm moving. 2200-2500rpm just to hit 20mph.
That is truely an exageration or you have mechanical issues. Check the fluid level. Did you change the tranny filter?

Next step is to try going from 3.23 gears to 3.73 to see if that helps my sluggish part throttle acceleration.
Raising your part throttle shift points will take out some of the slop. I'd do that before swapping gears.
I read,everyone says"you will get used to it".....I dunno.
chances are you will get use to it in a couple weeks. If you have a loud exhaust, it only focuses you the looseness. Also, don't watch the tach; it is reminding you that you are using more rpms. I'd go as far to suggest that you cover up the tach next week when driving to work. Its not like you need to know when to you shift.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Brian ! I remember you well from your SS ... one of cleanest and sharpest Camaro's I have seen out on the road. If you're over here in Lake Mary, lemme know when and I'll give you my phone number so you can stop by and drive my car for a comparison, The SS3600 hits like a 4000 of most other brands, from what many folks say who have owned multiple converters with different stall and STR ratio's ... from other companies. I have 3.73's in my 12-bolt ... same gears as was in my 10-bolt. I was pretty disappointed at first, but, after 2-3 weeks and playing around out on the road, I know it's limits and capabilies well. I'm very pleased with my Yank. I'm SOOO pleased that when my stock tranny went last year, I had NLP order me another new Yank SS3600 yo go in my FLT Level5 tranny. With this TC, I'll never want or need anything bigger or smaller.

If it's not consistenly locking up at a set speed/rpm, then, you need to have Geoff or Mike look at it. Have Geoff drive it next time you're by his shop if he installed it. Even if he didn't, I'm sure he'd be glad to take a quick drive around the block and tell you what needs to be done. Or, bring it to the house and I'll drive yours ... you drive mine. Then, we'll both be able to tell and share information If something's wrong causing it to be more sluggish or hesitant than normal, then, we'll know if something is mechanically wrong. BTW, when mine was installed, it was not tuned at all ... just very hard for me to adapt to it's behavior. Once I did, it's been awesome man.

Good seeing you around the forums again my friend.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:32 AM
TECH Junkie

B02SS, once again I will say that I felt very similar results when I first got my 3400 stall. It felt very loose and I had to give it lots of throttle to get going.
Once I got the tune, however, it tightened up immediately. There was no transition period, it was immediate and was 100% due to the tune.
I have an LT1, using LT1Edit, so I can't tell you which table(s) you need to change. I do know which table was changed in my car, because I have the before and after files, and I can do a differences check using my copy of LT1Edit. But I do not know how that correlates to an LS1-based programmer. But that is all you need, IMHO.
Best of luck, and stick with the stall you have. Once you tune it, you will love the performance.